Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

HoI4 is 60% off this weekend, a cool $16.  I might just pull the trigger, finally...  maybe.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Greenmangaming has a 22% off coupon that you can use to drop the price even further.  I just used it to get base EU4 for $7.80

fabius

So Hoi4 has sold 1 Million copies; half the player base plays it each month;  and usually 130k to 140k daily players. Pretty good going for a grand strategy game with the depth it has.

Other news:  Moder day lovers, Millennium Dawn has teamed up with Modern Day 4 team to combine their efforts.

Zulu1966

I have never bought this as I have read that the AI  is universally agreed the AI is utter shite. I never understood given the game is so utterly dependant on its AI why it gets such a high rating.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

fabius

AI has some problems. Though they seem to be improving it with each major patch.

AI compared to other grand strategy games, I don't know that I call it shite. But yeah, I have frustrations with it too.

Expert AI mod really makes WW2 more interesting and challenging.

I also role play a little bit. Like playing as Germany I gave Soviets a lot of manper to keep them in the fight.

RyanE

Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 21, 2018, 02:38:41 AM
I have never bought this as I have read that the AI  is universally agreed the AI is utter shite. I never understood given the game is so utterly dependant on its AI why it gets such a high rating.

While the AI is not perfect, it does a fairly decent job when considering the complexity of the game.  In fact, I would say that the AI does a better job than me and my friends do playing the game.  We make a lot more stupid mistakes that it does.

This is the problem with internet forums; The people pointing out issues far outnumber people who have few issues or don't get would up about the issues.  I have played HOI3 & 4 for years and never stopped playing because I see the AI doing something stupid.  Its throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Ian C

I think it's because like most popular games that have flaws, there are redeeming qualities about it. Mainly, that if you can overlook its flaws, it's fun - although overlooking its problems isn't easy for everyone.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on May 21, 2018, 06:38:49 AM

I think it's because like most popular games that have flaws, there are redeeming qualities about it. Mainly, that if you can overlook its flaws, it's fun - although overlooking its problems isn't easy for everyone.

Well stated IC.....in spite of its warts and flaws it's a great, fun game, an open sandbox to try just about any combination of land/air/sea force composition and strategies. It is not a simulation of WW2 like WitE and WitW.  The AI can be 'gamed' to expose its flaws, if that's what you want to do. But all in all....I enjoy it, and currently have 227 hours into it.

Pete Dero

Quote from: RyanE on May 21, 2018, 06:22:45 AM
This is the problem with internet forums; The people pointing out issues far outnumber people who have few issues or don't get would up about the issues.  I have played HOI3 & 4 for years and never stopped playing because I see the AI doing something stupid.  Its throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If the AI was so good they always lost, they would complain about that (and the game might even sell less).

Ian C

I've seen posts that when the AI does work, some players claim it beat them because it was cheating.
Personally, with HOI 4, I play historically and don't do gamey exploits. It tends to give me a better more enjoyable game.
If I want something more challenging and unexpected, I'll set the game to play ahistorically.
Also, I occasionally play Black Ice, which has a greater amount of depth (but a sprawling tech tree -though great for hardcore WW2 buffs).

Jarhead0331

I've said this before, but winning in HOI is a rarity for me. I have always found the AI challenging and more than capable of beating me. Now, the naval and air wars are really sideshows for me and I cannot say that I utilize these systems to their fullest, or truly even understand all of their details and inner workings. Accordingly, if the AI wasn't utilizing them logically, I probably wouldn't even perceive this.

As far as the land war goes, I've also never taken the time to really analyze the way the AI creates OOBs and structures its divisions and regiments. All I know is, they beat me more often then not, so regardless of whether the AI uses too many detachments, or not enough, etc., is really irrelevant. I'm just not the kind of player who demands absolute historical authenticity and plausibility.

Blind criticism of the HOI series irritates me almost as much as those who always attack Total War. I mean, what other games out there accomplish what these series do, with as much style and panache? The answer is NONE. So it seems to me that the people who avoid these titles because the AI "is shite" are really just cutting their noses off to spite their faces. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

Quote from: Rayfer on May 21, 2018, 07:20:44 AM

Well stated IC.....in spite of its warts and flaws it's a great, fun game, an open sandbox to try just about any combination of land/air/sea force composition and strategies. It is not a simulation of WW2 like WitE and WitW.  The AI can be 'gamed' to expose its flaws, if that's what you want to do. But all in all....I enjoy it, and currently have 227 hours into it.
How does t compare to HOI2, or HOI3?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Rayfer

Quote from: Boggit on May 21, 2018, 12:10:44 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 21, 2018, 07:20:44 AM

How does t compare to HOI2, or HOI3?

I never played 2 but have played 3.  4 is far superior in my humble opinion. I'm sure others will have an opposite opinion, but for me 4 is all around better.

fabius

Yeah much better than 3. I did play 2, but really not a fair comparison as the game was so different with significantly fewer provinces. Bit like comparing first TW risk style with current TW.

Agree with Black Ice adding some challenge. It's a bit too bloated for me with some things like producing radio for different units, but I get the Bice scratch every so often and enjoy it immensely.