Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2018, 03:16:40 PM
It's hard to decide which franchise is the bigger trainwreck at this point - Star Trek or Star Wars?

Both trains are being driven by the same engineer.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Look at it this way. We'll be able to tell our grandkids that we lived way back when both series were actually great. You know, before a giant meteor wiped them and the dinosaurs out. That should scare the little shits straight.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

A detailed mini-doc (about 1/2 hour) on the corporate strategies involved in the creation and management of Star Trek in the "Kelvin" age.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Interesting, thanks for posting!  O0

And...

It wasn't a 'battle of rights' that killed the Kelvin garbage.

And...

There is nothing remotely similar to TOS in Trek Wars: Beyond.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

So, how does this fit with the CBS Discovery show?

As we know, word (or at least strong rumor) has surfaced that the show will now be solidly in the rebooted Kelvin timeline -- although this seems to make no sense, because storywise the timelines diverge at a later point than where the series is.

But of course storyline consistency has never been the point. This isn't about coherent creativity, it's about what the investors think is the most efficient way to make the largest profit. The largest profit right now still comes from the films, so plans for the films, nebulous though those are, necessarily affect plans for the show.

Right now, the plans for the film include continuing the Kelvin timeline -- not for its story's sake but for the draw of large-name actors -- and a Quentin Tarantino Trek 5, again for the noteriety of a big-name director, who insists on making an R-rated Trek film. Which, at the time of the show's (apparent) commitment to the Kelvin continuity, was also going to be in the Kelvin continuity.

Consequently, we have a testbed R-rated Trek show going on CBS, which although a seriously expensive show by TV standards is less of a money risk than a big-budget tentpole film. But the Kelvin continuity is in trouble if the investors don't sign on, which producers could predict would be problematic given the new corporate strategy of making less expensive films faster: the salaries would be renegotiated down, since the contracts had expired after the first 3 films (and Hemsworth wasn't on contract anyway).

So now the R-rated Trek show (which will doubtless keep its rating thanks to attempts to meet Orville popularity standards) gets zig-zagged to the Kelvin timeline, even though CBS per se would rather keep it The Original Series (....more or.....less.... ;) ) for the marketing rights. Because both corporate partners need some way to keep investor interest in the Kelvin continuity even though Pine and Hemsworth have backed out of negotiations.

phew.

The 'good' news is that all this finagling means Tarantino's Trek will probably be a reboot, or rather the Discovery series will (continue to) be an R-rated pure continuity reboot within which Tarantino can work rather than be hampered by the disintegrating Kelvin continuity chained to his effort.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Anguille

Just finished watching the show. Not having netflix and the like, i had to buy the dvds. Like many, i am a big Star Trek fan. My favorites remain the TOS, Next Generation and DS9. I never finished Enterprise though (the only one).

Overall, i do like the new series but didn't like the ending with the Mirror Universe. Imho, Burnham should have taken Lorca with her as she knew him best (they did fight together for many months against the Klingons) while she had no idea what the Emperor was like (except for massmurdering people, including the Klingons). Don't think the twist with Lorca and Tyler was good anyway, especially Lorca as i think he was a good captain and i feel the decision to change his story came late in the season as at least he was a very good captain for the first 1/2 of the season. The death of the doctor was also a bad decision imho.

What i've seen from season 2 looks interesting...i will have to keep away from this thread until i've seen Season 2 on dvd.  ;)

JasonPratt