Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: An Anthem thread
« Last post by Huw the Poo on Today at 01:30:21 AM »
Well, like all online looter shooters it will certainly encourage grind - although at the moment I'm not sure there's much to grind for...
Computer Wargaming / Re: Objects in Space
« Last post by Huw the Poo on Today at 01:28:57 AM »
I'd have to echo everything you said, Jarhead.  I've only played a bit while I wait for 1.0, but what I saw was extremely promising.  It really does feel like submarines in space!  From my short time with it it seems like one of those curious games where despite its freeform nature everything you do seems to have been anticipated by the developer and the universe reacts accordingly; quite remarkable.  I was enjoying the story and the very real feeling of being an actual captain of a ship.  Oh and also the developer actually responds to (and fixes) bug reports you send by email!

By the way it came to my attention because of a certain similarity to Deep Sixed, another game I need to devote more time to.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Field of Glory: Empires
« Last post by FlickJax on Today at 12:42:14 AM »
:)
Consider it like a civil war meeting engagement where it took hours to get the whole army on the field. Also consider how attacks were often organised by armies into phases anyways or waves. In addition recon and lighter units would often be out front. I am reading about bagration atm and about an opening attack thatís. Was arty first to a 6km depth, the. Assault infantry with subs, then kv1s and is2 tanks followed by t34 minerollers followed by t34 flame tanks followed by the first attacks from the actual rifle divisions in the assault. The Russians have separated the waves no doubt so they do not have traffic jams and are not tripping over each other. In normal front lines recon and light units would probe first I reckon.
In some running battles like battle of the bulge did it not sometimes take hours to get the main elements into battle?
Forum-Based Games / Re: Early Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread
« Last post by JasonPratt on Yesterday at 08:23:29 PM »
Attacking Carthage seems a bit of a risk because we'll still need another turn to defeat them on land....

Not necessarily. If you send the Legions with the Fleets, under the same Commander, the Legions will immediately make a Land attack after a Naval Victory, under the same Commander -- if enough Fleets survive to secure the Supply lane.

Alternately, if you send the Legions after the Fleets, under a different Commander, they'll also make an immediate Land attack after a Naval Victory (if enough Supply Fleets survive).

The difference is that sailing immediately, they risk taking casualties with the Fleet, but they get the benefits of the Fleet Commander during the land battle. Sailing afterward, they'll need a second Commander for the ground assault, who therefore can't be put to use elsewhere this Turn, but they don't risk taking casualties at sea.

Either way, the Deployed Legions will not be usable somewhere else this Turn, of course.

So the Legions could possibly hit Carthage this Turn. If the Roman Navy Defeats the Carthage Navy (and still has 10 surviving Fleets).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10