Discuss GrogCast Episode 11!

Started by bayonetbrant, May 19, 2015, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

MetalDog

Just had a chance to listen to this weeks episode.  Good to hear Cyrano again.  He's an interesting cat (and an even better MAN for being a Zappa fan).  And with all that Star Wars talk and minutiae, I never have to worry about being the nerdiest person I know.  Thanks guys!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Mr. Bigglesworth

I found this one a bit lightweight. Maybe I was distracted by the audio problems. Skype can be aweful.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Jack Nastyface

Not to be too confrontational, but I thought some of Peter Molyneux's early stuff (Populous, Syndicate, even The Movies) was quite good.  Okay...never played black and white and Fable, but I think Cyrano's comments are a tad harsh...no?
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on May 25, 2015, 01:16:45 PM
Not to be too confrontational, but I thought some of Peter Molyneux's early stuff (Populous, Syndicate, even The Movies) was quite good.  Okay...never played black and white and Fable, but I think Cyrano's comments are a tad harsh...no?

My personal opinion : If it has been more than two decades since the guy has actually managed to come close to pulling off what he claims to be trying to make, he either isn't that good at his job or he's somewhat full of it.

Martok

I meant to say this last time, but Cyrano's voice bears an absolutely uncanny resemblance to that of my friend Greg.  So much so, in fact, that it's already almost impossible not to picture the two of them looking alike as well (even though I know better).  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Cyrano

I have always welcomed constructive comment even when, as in this instance, I stand by what I said.  I'll basically +1 AB and say the downward spiral started with Black and White.  That game also set the template for the disasters that followed:  put out a killer tech demo, promise that the game will do everything but wash your garage, and then not deliver something that's actually a game.  I say this as someone who almost killed his Amiga playing Populous.  It was one of the four games I took with me to grad school.  And, please remember, my mini-rant was in response to Brant's remarks about designers not really "designing" their games...that is almost certainly his problem.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jack Nastyface

Cyrano,
Fair enough...not trying to call you out on anything; rather I was just trying to get a sense of what Peter M. games may have precipitated the comment.  FWIW, I have never liked anything by Will Wright after SimCity and SimCopter (which whetted my appetite for rescue-chopper games).
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Cyrano

Oh, man, yeah, Will Wright.  He and Molyneux are both folks who leveraged previous achievement into indulgence of excess far beyond what would have been granted to developers without their names.

By the by, the interview I refer to in the podcast is here:  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/peter-molyneux/

I also observe that it's so well known that Googling "rock paper shotgun" will get you "rock paper shotgun Molyneux" for free...

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Cyrano on May 25, 2015, 08:43:26 PM
I have always welcomed constructive comment even when, as in this instance, I stand by what I said.  I'll basically +1 AB and say the downward spiral started with Black and White.  That game also set the template for the disasters that followed:  put out a killer tech demo, promise that the game will do everything but wash your garage, and then not deliver something that's actually a game.  I say this as someone who almost killed his Amiga playing Populous.  It was one of the four games I took with me to grad school.  And, please remember, my mini-rant was in response to Brant's remarks about designers not really "designing" their games...that is almost certainly his problem.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

You forgot the last part to that template : Explain why THIS game will do everything the last one didn't, and that the last one sucked (now that it's no longer selling based on earlier promises that it was the game to fix everything...).