Curse of the Azure Bonds: A GrogHeads D&D Experience (Part Deaux)

Started by BanzaiCat, June 23, 2018, 08:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

My very first Gold Box Game back in the day. And, yes, we'll definitely need mirrors. And not just because Mirth's so pretty.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ComradeP

You're off to a good start with the AAR, BC.

What equipment did you buy?

From what I understand these Gold Box games all use regular AD&D rules, even though some were released when the AD&D 2nd edition was available. I've never played any 1st edition AD&D game as far as I know, only the AD&D 2nd edition classics like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

BanzaiCat

Quote from: ComradeP on June 26, 2018, 03:06:47 AM
You're off to a good start with the AAR, BC.

What equipment did you buy?

Thanks, ComradeP!

I will make a note to record their equipment when I get back into it; I've not had time since Sunday. Had a very long day with work yesterday and more of the same today; maybe Wednesday I'll be able to get back to it.

The regular AD&D rules can be confusing at times. At least, they can be, this far removed from when I played it regularly (80s). For example, a Thief cannot use a bow (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone), because I almost always buy a short bow for my Thief only to have it say "WRONG CLASS" when I try to equip it. Then I smack my forehead and mutter "oh yeah that's right" or something similar and proceed to sell it for less than half I bought it for. :)

Sir Slash

AS I recall, this game was rather open-ended in that you have several enemy bosses to go after and you can choose which ones to take on in what order. Rare for the series as most games were very linear, if I'm remembering correctly. I definitely remember some of the toughest fights in any game I ever played in this one, but I never loved getting my butt beat so well.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.