Civil War Strategy Game

Started by davidshq, May 07, 2018, 08:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidshq

Hi Everyone,

I have a release candidate for Civil War Strategy Game, it is available here: http://www.hutsellgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/cws-2_10.zip

I'm hoping a few of you will download it and give it a try. It should run on most versions of Windows. It is a turn-based 1 or 2 player game simulating the American Civil War at a grand strategic level. Press Alt+Enter to make the game full-screen. Any feedback is appreciated, but I'm especially looking to suss out any remaining bugs!

Thanks,
Dave

bbmike

I get errors about some .dll files not being registered when I try to run it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Can you post some screenshots of the game?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

davidshq

bbmike -  #:-) Thanks for giving it a try...you discovered my first bugs...I forgot to include a few third party DLLs that the app needs to run. I've replaced the file at the previously shared URL with an updated version that includes the DLLs.

Jarhead0331 - Sure. Here is a screenshot:

Its a pretty old school game, but imho, quite fun. You can complete a game in a few hours. I've been playing earlier versions for the past twenty years or so.

Dave

mirth

Hey Dave. I'll try to give it a look in the next day or two. Always appreciated the work you put into your sites.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

This is really good!

Can you run it in a larger screen?

What is the difference with the "alt map"?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Actually, I found that I have a copy of this same game that was released in 1994:

===========================================================
VGA Civil War Strategy Game version 1.50
(c) 1994 W.R. Hutsell
===========================================================
All files are identical except the .ico and .cfg file.  Are you updating this old title?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

davidshq

@GJK
   - Press Alt+Enter to make the game full-screen.
   - Its an alternate map that has different cities connected so you can travel across different paths. It is quite a different challenge from the primary map. You can swap and back between them by running altmap - first time you run it it changes from primary to alternate map, second time you run it it goes from alternate back to primary.
   - You are correct that this is an old game, I offer the old version on the hutsellgames.com site as well.
   - The big change is in cwstrat.exe, the 1998 update was written in PDS 7.1, a successor to QuickBasic 4.5, both DOS programming platforms. I've revamped the source code to run using QB64, a cross-platform compiler that can create Windows, Linux, and Mac applications (right now only Windows is available). Most of the other files will be identical and most of the changes I made had to do with getting the code to run on contemporary systems without requiring DOSBox...there are minor changes here and there mainly relating to the UI.

Where there any questions I missed answering? Thanks for trying it out!