DEC 2013 TS forum game archive

Started by GJK, November 26, 2013, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Ok folks - if you've been following the conversion in Brant's topic "Online Group Wargame?", you will be aware that we've been given the green light to organize a Coop game of Twilight Struggle for GH members. 

If you haven't been following that thread, check out page 3 for links to some player aids for Twilight Struggle (TS).  Those should get anybody up to speed on how to play TS.  For those wanting the rules as written, they are available on GMT's website here: http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TSRules2nd.pdf

Here's the game plan.  We'll field two teams; one will play as the U.S., the other as the Soviet Union.  How many per team will depend on the interest level.  Teams need not be an equal number but we'll try and even them out.  Game play will be simple for the players - each time will have a private area on the forum and you will be shown what your current hand of cards are (by me).  Your team will discuss the course of action for the current round and then submit your play in this thread.  Game play will be what card #/card title that you selected from your hand, and whether you playing it for the event or for the Operational value and then any actions needed based on your card play (the event or what you'll be doing with the OP points and where).  I will post a picture of the card that was selected and then will update a VASSAL gameplay of the current situation and post a screenshot of it here for all to see and follow along.

We can use ACTS (http://acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp) to keep track of the card/die rolls, or, if I'm trusted with it, I can use the VASSAL module to deal out the cards and then share the hands with the appropriate teams.  Either works for me.  If we do use ACTS, we will need team captains to set up a game on that system so my leaning is to just let me be the neutral party and use the VASSAL module to deal out the cards.  We can take a vote on that.

So, what do we need of you guys?  Volunteers right now.  Leave a post if you're interested in playing and which side you have a preference for.  If you're new to TS, I can help you with the rules, share play aids and get you up to speed.  This is a really simple game to play and since each round is simply a card selection and placing a few markers (basically), the time requirements will be very minimal.  The banter in  your respective team areas will take up the most time from you - I'll be doing all of the work as far as updating and showing the cards/board.

So - who's in?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

First...thanks for coordinating all of this, GJK. Mighty awesome of you.

Second, I'm fine with you handling logistics; you mentioned 'if we trust you' and I don't think that will be an issue.

Third, if you need any help at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Fourth, hell yeah, I want to play! I'd be down for the Soviet side, but honestly I don't mind playing either.

bayonetbrant

Gary - I'd recommend you just run it on VASSAL to cut down on coordination.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 26, 2013, 12:27:50 PM
Gary - I'd recommend you just run it on VASSAL to cut down on coordination.

That's what I'm leaning towards.  I'll just deal up the hands for each side and then take a screen grab of each side's hand and then post that screenshot in their respective forum area so that they can noodle on their card selection.  I could keep a running log in VASSAL as well and save that.  It could then be shared on this public area after each turn. 

So, we have Banzai_Cat for team Soviets.  A "dead red".  Thanks for the offer to help by the way, I'll certainly take you up on that if things get crazy.  :)

Who's the first for team USA?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I posted a note in the TS folder at CSW.  Also, be aware that you'll probably get more eyes this evening after folks get home from work and plug in, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

ill join either side but ill be no good as a team captain - ive only seen the outside of the box - ill be rule reading this weekend!

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 26, 2013, 12:40:01 PM
I posted a note in the TS folder at CSW.  Also, be aware that yo'll probably get more eyes this evening after folks get home from work and plug in, too.

You read my mind - I was thinking of doing the same. 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

I'm in. Side doesn't matter. I last played this on Vassal over a year ago, maybe two, and there was a bug in the "Red Scare" card. The title is more than "red scare", but I don't recall the rest of the name. It's a dual card with the event firing for whichever side plays it. The bug was that the event was only working for one side. I don't recall which side that was but the other could only seem to use it for Ops. Hopefully that's been fixed.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on November 26, 2013, 01:03:18 PM
I'm in. Side doesn't matter. I last played this on Vassal over a year ago, maybe two, and there was a bug in the "Red Scare" card. The title is more than "red scare", but I don't recall the rest of the name. It's a dual card with the event firing for whichever side plays it. The bug was that the event was only working for one side. I don't recall which side that was but the other could only seem to use it for Ops. Hopefully that's been fixed.

we are destined to be opposed UC!

Barthheart

I'd like in. I've play TS once face to face a while ago.

Don't care which side.... maybe commies as my FtF game was as the US....

GJK

Ok, this is who I have playing so far.  At this rate, we'll have the game ready to go by the weekend (or whenever Brant can get the forums set up).

Nothing here is etched in stone, if you wish to be on the other side, just let me know.  Right now, another US player would be good.

Player     Side     
Banzai_CatSoviets
undercovergeekUSA
UbercatSoviets
BarthheartSoviets
bob48USA
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I'll get them set up tonight and get players tentatively assigned to teams.

bob48

I just downloaded the rules so I can get some idea of how it works.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

For anyone who's never played it (and it's been a while for me), there's a good site out there with lots of TS tips, including analysis of what looks like each card.

http://twilightstrategy.com/

GJK

Quote from: bob48 on November 26, 2013, 04:04:20 PM
I just downloaded the rules so I can get some idea of how it works.

Really simple game (I found).  I'm no TS expert but if you or anybody has any questions about rules or how the game works, feel free to ask.  If I can't answer the question, I'm sure that someone else here can answer it or if not, we'll get the answer from CSW or GMT games themselves if need be.  I don't anticipate any of us having a problem with the RAW though.

There's a number of online resources for the game as well:
http://twilightstrategy.com/new-to-twilight-struggle/

And if you youtube "Twilight Struggle" there's several videos though I haven't found one that just teaches the game (yet).  Most are how to set up VASSAL, how to use wargameroom.com, etc.  I'll keep searching though.

Edit: Banzai_cat beat me to it re: twilightstrategy.com
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer