The Uber Flashpoint Campaigns Game Discussion Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Capn Darwin

I'm dealing with some personal stuff and been busy this week and end, but basically you get the following:

Hasty Move - Road bound move, fastest move mode, little to no cover use, poor initial combat capability until screening or in a different move state.

Deliberate Move - Slowest move rate, maximum use of a combat move (dispersed off road) with cover and bounding overwatch.

Assault Move - Medium move rate, minimal use of cover, is dispersed off road movement.

I will need to get values out of the code for level of cover/protection, but the terrain will have the most impact on the arty results and movement modes would have a small impact on effect. Arty falls in the hex and if the unit is in hex it gets attacked and sees added protect based on the terrain cover and mode of movement. In the case in question I would expect the results to be similar to slightly less effected for deliberate units.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Capn Darwin

We are hoping to wrap up the work on the 2.09 update this week. Assuming everything tests out okay. Many of the fixes center on PBEM issues and some issues with the VCR playback. Also a sprinkling of data and gameplay tweaks too. More info when we know more.  O0

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 23, 2015, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: RobertCrandall on January 09, 2015, 08:43:12 PMI'm a Flashpoint dev (the quiet one)

Mama always said to watch out for the quiet ones

You can tell he's trouble from the mustache.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Quote from: panzerde on January 23, 2015, 06:53:18 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 23, 2015, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: RobertCrandall on January 09, 2015, 08:43:12 PMI'm a Flashpoint dev (the quiet one)

Mama always said to watch out for the quiet ones

You can tell he's trouble from the mustache.

I thought it was the passport...  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Cap'n D - give folks a preview of which scenario we'll be using at Origins, and see if we can't convince a few of them to join us...

Capn Darwin

We just talked about this in the Dev call on Monday and we have some new ideas. I can't say or show anything just yet, but we plan on having 3 different types of battles on a new map. We will use the latest Red Storm code (whatever that is). Should be challenging and fun as always!

Father Ted

Here's a question, a genuine one...

If I allow FSCC the "staff" seem to often pick apparently hexes to bombard - how do "they" pick their targets?

Capn Darwin

The FSCC get a number of reports of 1) sighted enemy units, 2) HQ radio intercepts, 3) radar intercepts, and 4) artillery fire locations. All gathered by various sources. Depending on the status of your artillery missions (on call, bombard, counter battery) the FSCC code ranks the requests based on 1) CB fires, 2) SEAD, 3) HQ, and then 4) general targets. Once a mission is set that artillery unit is out of the message queue until the current mission is done or you order a new mission directly. In some cases if strike aircraft are available and the target is ranked high enough and weather is good the air unit can be sent to attack.

Hope that helps.  :coolsmiley:

Father Ted

Thank you.  Probably didn't help that I left out the word "empty" between "apparently" and "hexes" :-[.  It wasn't that I had a problem with the process, just that I was curious.

Mad Russian

Often times what we consider empty isn't empty to the AI and it may have been occupied when the mission was slotted and then empty when it is executed.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

smithcorp

I tend to leave my arty on call and I've always been kind of nervous about whether it would respond to sightings in the way I would if I controlled it. I'm playing a PBEM of Eyes, Ears and Teeth and one of my scout helos spotted enemy artillery. Next orders cycle the AI hit the Red arty comprehensively, killing it.

I'm happy to trust to on-call arty now.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: smithcorp on January 27, 2015, 06:53:07 AMI'm happy to trust to on-call arty now.

that puts you waaaay ahead of most tankers I know!  :))

Capn Darwin

Deleted see new post. O0