Midway remake out in cinemas NOV 8

Started by Destraex, June 09, 2019, 04:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Since it's Emmerich I'm really hoping for some Foo Fighters and a Godzilla.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 10, 2019, 06:35:48 PM
Since it's Emmerich I'm really hoping for some Foo Fighters and a Godzilla.

Or an I-400 that can extend undersized airfoils and fly
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7189321/Midway-LOOK-Explosive-trailer-sees-Nick-Jonas-Mandy-Moore-swept-Pacific-battle.html

At last.  Dick Best gets some respect.
This article, for a british newspaper, does have some gaffs.  For one they think Bruno Gaido is a made up character.  IIRC, he was tied to a concrete canister on a jap DD and thrown overboard to drown.  Wonder if they include that.
Also, not sure if Woody Harrelson is the best choice for Nimitz.  Woody will always be that lightweight bartender in Cheers for me.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

SirAndrewD

That reminds me a lot more of Pearl Harbor than Dunkirk.   

:hide:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

Woody Nimitz? What could go wrong there? "Gee Mr. Claven, should we send another aircraft carrier or is two enough"?  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

solops

Oooooooooooo! I wonder if the Japanese will win this time?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Toonces

Late to this thread.

Dunkirk was pretty awesome.

This movie...uh, I think I'm gonna wait to catch this on Netflix.  Sigh.

(My wife hated Dunkirk; I loved it.  This movie looks like something my wife would love.  'Nuff said.)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on June 27, 2019, 10:35:56 PM
Late to this thread.

Dunkirk was pretty awesome.

This movie...uh, I think I'm gonna wait to catch this on Netflix.  Sigh.

(My wife hated Dunkirk; I loved it.  This movie looks like something my wife would love.  'Nuff said.)

Pretty much this.  My wife actually loved Dunkirk, but she's married to me and has known me since I was 19, so she's heard me wax on about the subject of military history longer than a lot of people that see these movies have been alive.

And yeah, there's just so much noise in this preview.  ACTION IN YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW!

I know that's exciting, but I prefer the subtle and really at times aggressive realism of something like Dunkirk, or Tora Tora Tora.

I honestly think the two latter films prove that you can make a great and accurate war movie that doesn't just try to make history into a superhero movie.

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 27, 2019, 10:44:43 PM

I honestly think the two latter films prove that you can make a great and accurate war movie that doesn't just try to make history into a superhero movie.

Are you telling me that Captain America defeating the Red Skull did not win the war in Europe?

Gusington

Tora Tora Tora - I love that movie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That was a movie? I had an old girlfriend that used to scream that while I was making love to her.  :o  Who knew?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

"Climb Mount Niitaka!" on the other hand would have meant that total surprise had been achieved.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Meanwhile, 'Wee Wang' is not a good one. Just saying.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on June 28, 2019, 09:10:46 AM

Are you telling me that Captain America defeating the Red Skull did not win the war in Europe?

I would never claim such a thing, because we both know it did!