Main Menu

MMORPGs

Started by Tpek, March 01, 2019, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Having recently returned to Guild Wars 2 I started wondering what MMORPGs do you guys regularly play?

I generally switch back and forth between several ones (GW2 currently being the most played, with a bit of Lord of the Rings Online and Elder Scrolls Online), and always up for trying interesting new ones.

bbmike

None. I hate multiplayer.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tpek

Quote from: bbmike on March 01, 2019, 08:32:32 PM
None. I hate multiplayer.

I'm not too fond of playing with randoms from the internet myself, which is why I mostly solo in MMOs.

Staggerwing

Does this forum count as an MMORPG?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

I'm going with "yes"   8)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on March 01, 2019, 08:28:42 PM
Having recently returned to Guild Wars 2 I started wondering what MMORPGs do you guys regularly play?

I don't regularly play any, but I like LotRO a lot. Like you, I prefer to play solo and just ignore the peeps around me. This is a little easier to do in LotRO than, for example, Elder Scrolls: Online, simply because the ESO players look so flashy that they're distracting.

I do play mp survival games sometimes but that's not the same thing of course.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

I currently play WoW, but my sub just lapsed and I'm not re-sub'ing. I've played MMO's since Ultima Online and I'm just burnt out on them. Trying my hand a strictly ww2 pc/miniature war gaming these days.

MC

Never play them. Haven't found a good enough reason to even try one. Maybe one day something will change that.

Yskonyn

Tried many, with the last serious one being Final Fantasy 14, but I always end up feeling like a donkey chasing a carrot. Not much brainpower required and just an endless loop.
While FFXIV's story is pretty well done (unlike most MMO's) its often gated behind annoying bumps in order to continue (having to do dungeons for example).

I am really burned out on the genre and much prefer a handcrafted rpg experience. It's probably why I've picked up Tabletop RPG's again.

MMO like games I do enjoy are Conan Exiles and Destiny, but their scope is so different I wouldn't call them MMORPG's.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

I'm not playing any at the moment (unless you count Warframe (which you shouldn't, because it isn't an MMO)).  The one I played most recently was Black Desert Online and coincidentally enough, I've just reinstalled it.

The last MMORPG I truly lost myself in was Rift, which was a superb game in my opinion.  Sadly it's on life support now but people still play it.  After going free to play it was, for a time, a magnificent example of how to do F2P right - although I understand that's no longer the case.  I might dive in again at some point for nostalgia's sake.

Yskonyn

Ah Rift! Now that one brings back fond memories!
Its the only MMORPG in which I have made long lasting friendships with people I've also decided to meet outside of the game.

But the game itself was amazing as well. Lots of customization, lots of different things to try out and at the time it was an absolutely beautiful game as well.
Haven't ever checked back once our guild ventured off trying other games, but I understand the game has been on life support for quite a while.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Geezer

I've probably played more MMO's than I can count starting with EVE back in 2005 when there was no warp to 0.  I've jumped in and out of it many times since then but it never really sticks with me for some reason.  Probably played WoW the most but that ship has finally sailed for me.  Warhammer Online was one of my favorites and I was really disappointed with the way Mark Jacobs made such a mess of what could have been an all time classic.  Currently playing ESO and before that GW2.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Tpek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 02, 2019, 04:09:46 AM
I'm not playing any at the moment (unless you count Warframe (which you shouldn't, because it isn't an MMO)).  The one I played most recently was Black Desert Online and coincidentally enough, I've just reinstalled it.

The last MMORPG I truly lost myself in was Rift, which was a superb game in my opinion.  Sadly it's on life support now but people still play it.  After going free to play it was, for a time, a magnificent example of how to do F2P right - although I understand that's no longer the case.  I might dive in again at some point for nostalgia's sake.

I've considered getting back to Rift, it was truly an amazing game, and a huge buffet of options for people who love playing many different styles of characters (like myself), but sadly it is indeed on life support, and is not receiving any more real updates or content additions.

Huw the Poo

I bought the most expensive version of Rift that they offered and loved it, there were all sorts of goodies in there.  I still have it somewhere.

It really should have lasted longer than it did - in its prime, I mean.  As Tpek said, it was just an embarrassment of riches when it came to options.  The souls system was truly inspired and the dynamic events were at least as good as Guild Wars 2's a full year before the latter released.  Trion clearly tried very hard to make Rift attractive to all types of MMORPG players.  I absolutely loved it.

Tpek

TBH, a lot of MMORPGs seem to be dying these days. Even WoW is suffering and trying the same gimmick Rift tried (and LOTRO too), a "Classic Vanilla Server" to appeal to the players' sense of nostalgia.