Bios - Megafauna

Started by Nefaro, February 12, 2014, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Any of you played Bios - Megafauna?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97915/bios-megafauna

Looks like an interesting and unusual game concept.  You 'draft' mutation cards in order to evolve your dino/mammal species and expand into diverse (randomly generated) biomes across pre-historic North America. 

This may be something quite different from the usual fare, and it plays solo too.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 12, 2014, 03:48:02 PM
Any of you played Bios - Megafauna?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97915/bios-megafauna

Looks like an interesting and unusual game concept.  You 'draft' mutation cards in order to evolve your dino/mammal species and expand into diverse (randomly generated) biomes across pre-historic North America. 

This may be something quite different from the usual fare, and it plays solo too.

Be aware that Phil Eklund is rather notorious for obtuse, detailed rulebooks...and games. He's a hardcore science guy, and that's his focus. Definitely look into some Let's Plays and the like if you're considering some of his stuff.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 14, 2014, 12:29:52 AM

Be aware that Phil Eklund is rather notorious for obtuse, detailed rulebooks...and games. He's a hardcore science guy, and that's his focus. Definitely look into some Let's Plays and the like if you're considering some of his stuff.

Thanks. 

I gathered that this probably isn't the easiest game to learn or teach.  However, it was something out of the norm but still interesting so I ordered a used copy after seeing it played on a couple of these gameplay vids. 

It may be too much for most gaming groups, but I don't really have many regular group sessions anyway.  It's solitaire capable, and from what I've gathered it can be quite difficult, so that should keep me happy. 

This one looks to be around the difficulty of Arkham Horror, if even that, as long as the rules are somewhat organized.  It helps that there are these YouTube gameplay vids (aka "Let's Plays") as it's far quicker to learn from the rulebook after seeing it in action.  :D

I've practically not even touched video games for the past couple weeks, so these solitaire games are keeping my brain occupied during my hiatus.   Just been a couple short flight sim sessions lately, and rarely those.