Main Menu

Project Cars 2

Started by JudgeDredd, September 27, 2017, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g920-driving-force

Then the shifter. Of course a proper seat and mounting system is needed if I go full monty.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: jamus34 on September 28, 2017, 06:38:16 PM
Quote from: Moreb on September 28, 2017, 06:27:49 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on September 28, 2017, 10:11:37 AM
but I would suggest wheel and pedals.

I may just do that. Once I get the proper requisition requests forms from Headquarters authorized.  It looks like a $700 investment for a mid range setup but I imagine it is quite the experience.

Jeebus, really? That's a heck of an outlay for wheel / pedals.

Yes it is, but it makes a world of difference. I went with the Thrustmaster T500RS for a cool $600. Auto simming is just as expensive as air simming.

Slick Wilhelm

Gah! I'm in, all the way in.

Silverstone classic, Monza Historic(!), Rouen and the Nurburgring Nordschleife!  :smitten:

Bardolph

You can make or buy a wheel stand for not a whole lot of money, don't really need the seat unless you want to geek out.

I got one of these when I bought my Fanatec wheel and pedals, works great and folds up out of the way when I'm not using it:
https://www.amazon.com/Xlerator-Regular-Thrustmaster-Logitech-PlayStation-4/dp/B01J4JZH5K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1506657392&sr=8-9&keywords=sim+racing+wheel+stand

That particular model seems to be unavailable on Amazon but there are lots of others that are similar. Also seen lots of home built versions.

As for a chair, when I race I have to get rid of the computer chair with wheels on the bottom and I go for a nice solid four legged variety.

The thing that will make the most difference, in my opinion, is triple monitors, or VR if you want/can go that route.
When I bought my triples my racing improved dramatically. Sadly my aging system couldn't push PCars on triples, but it does iRacing just fine and that is where I do most of my driving. Taking a little hiatus from iRacing atm but I still have rFactor 2 and Automobilista installed for when I get an urge to drive.

Load cell pedals made a difference too, became much easier to judge braking.

Cheers!

JudgeDredd

It should be pointed out though - before new people get scared away - that it's very easy to have a great driving sim experience with just a wheel. If your budget can add force feedback, then absolutely.

My Logitech Driving Force wheel cost me £100. A model without Force Feedback will cost about half that.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Moreb on September 27, 2017, 08:04:29 PM
It's been many years since I've played any racing games. Is this something an amateur can play with a controller or is it something more geared towards aficionados?
This review specifically mentions that the game on a gamepad is "a different game from the first one altogether" and "straight out of the box Project Cars 2 feels manageable and planted"

Alba gu' brath

RyanE

I use a gamepad since my wheel set up broke.  Its still fun.

Grim.Reaper

I'll pick up version #2 once the price hits my range, not that it wouldn't be a great game at full price, I just don't get enough out of racing games to pay full price.  And I will be using a controller for sure...maybe someday I will pick up a wheel.

Weron

SPAM