Black Panther

Started by OJsDad, June 10, 2017, 08:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/18/movies/black-panther-box-office-records.html

QuoteThe Disney-Marvel movie "Black Panther," which finds the superheroic T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman) returning to his remote African kingdom to assume the throne, roared into theaters over the weekend as a full-blown cultural event, breaking box office records and shattering a myth about the overseas viability of movies rooted in black culture. Global ticket sales by Monday will total an estimated $387 million, according to comScore.

"Black Panther" instantly became the top-grossing film in history by a black director (Ryan Coogler) and featuring a largely black cast. The previous record-holder was "Straight Outta Compton," which collected $214 million worldwide in 2015 — over its entire run — after adjusting for inflation.

Disney, which supported "Black Panther" with a lavish nine-month marketing campaign, said on Sunday that ticket sales for the film in North America will total roughly $218 million between Friday and Monday. Theaters scrambled to add show times to accommodate crowds; AMC Southlake 24 in suburban Atlanta squeezed in 84 show times on Friday alone. In many cities, moviegoers arrived in outfits inspired by the film.

Analysts had expected "Black Panther" to arrive to about $165 million in North American ticket sales, which would itself have been an astounding result for a release outside the holiday and summer corridors. The previous domestic record-holder for a February release was "Deadpool," which collected an adjusted $159 million over Presidents' Day weekend in 2016.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

It's great that it's doing so well, but I wonder how much of it is from being the first film feature a black superhero, and how much due to being the last stand alone film before Infinity War.  Would it have done as well if they had swapped Black Panther and Thor: Ragnorak.  Pretty much a mute point, but just a curiosity question. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: OJsDad on February 18, 2018, 06:23:36 PM
It's great that it's doing so well, but I wonder how much of it is from being the first film feature a black superhero

This is a fallacy.

https://screenrant.com/black-superhero-movies-before-black-panther/

Hancock
Blade I
Blade II
Blade III
Steel
Spawn
Blankman
Meteor Man
Catwoman

...not to mention the countless black superheroes in comics.

I saw a response to the RLM review of Black Panther on YouTube...something along the lines of, "I'm so glad we got our 80th first black superhero movie."

Obviously not 80, and yes definitely not that many black superheroes in film as opposed to crackas, but still. Far from the first one.

Gusington

Yeah I've seen a few stories online mentioning Blade. The first one in that series is really good too, IMHO.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

I guess some of those I don't think of as superhero movies.  I like Hancock a lot, but I didn't think of it as much of a superhero movie in the same since of the MCU movies.

I think the difference between those you listed and BP, is that BP is part of a very successful lineup of movies.  The others you listed were always stand alone, except for the Trinity movies, which I also liked a lot.  But again, I guess I don't think of the Trinity movies as a superhero movie and more of a vampire movie.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: OJsDad on February 18, 2018, 06:45:34 PM
I guess some of those I don't think of as superhero movies.  I like Hancock a lot, but I didn't think of it as much of a superhero movie in the same since of the MCU movies.

I think the difference between those you listed and BP, is that BP is part of a very successful lineup of movies.  The others you listed were always stand alone, except for the Trinity movies, which I also liked a lot.  But again, I guess I don't think of the Trinity movies as a superhero movie and more of a vampire movie.

Fair points. I've seen a lot of discourse on the Internet with people acting like this is the first time a black person has starred in a film; what I think is more significant though is that it might be a powerhouse of a film since it has the MCU behind it, and there haven't been many of those (Metor Man / Blankman didn't exactly roll in the dollars).

Huw the Poo

Blade is fantastic.  I just introduced my daughter to it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed watching it again.  Wesley Snipes is beyond cool in that role, and the cinematography is absolutely amazing.

Gusington

Blade 2 and 3 as well? I've only seen the first one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

2 was good, too.  And 3 had Parker Posey.  What more could you ask for?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^You and I have the same taste in chicks.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on February 13, 2018, 07:32:47 PM
https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/why-marvel-movies-are-better-than-dc-movies-study-2018-2

Quoteattract the attention of those who enjoy comic books, as well as those don't really like them.

This.  I've never gotten into the comics, nor has anyone else in my family.  But my daughter has let it me know we will be going to see the MCU movies.  I've never heard her show any interest in the DC movies.  Wonder Women in on HBO now.  I'll see if I can get her to watch it sometime.  I haven't seen it yet either.

WW was very Greek Tragedy type movie.  My wife the ancient history major concentrating in Greek confirmed my impression.  Good movie, but classic Greek theater norms.