Fantastic time at a Gamer's Flea Market today

Started by BanzaiCat, June 25, 2016, 08:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 25, 2016, 08:04:52 PM

I thought I didn't have a pic of that lady's dice bags, but if you look near the bottom of this pic, you'll see the big blue bags she and her husband had. Those things were filled with them (as you can see). She should have sold more; I really like the one she gave me!

Another thing in this picture, which I failed to mention: just as things were starting up and people were coming in, someone at a back table stood up and yelled something about Pathfinder starting now. There were two tables at the back of the store running some RPGs. I'd heard of Pathfinder (I know some of you guys have talked about it before), so that's something I wanted to keep in mind.

And another interesting (to me, anyway) tidbit: there's a Papa John's right next door. I noticed that morning when I came in, but forgot almost immediately, and when not one but two pizzas were delivered (and people up front yelling "WHO ORDERED THE PIZZA?" and getting "RIGHT HERE!" from the back...lol) I remembered, and thought how convenient that must be. While I was checking out, someone from Papa John's brought some appetizer over and just handed it to the guy behind the counter, like they do that kind of thing all the time. Oh, if I only had had a pizza place next to the comic store I worked at...well, I'd probably have weighed 400 pounds. But still, it's a good location. If you like PJs of course.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2016, 06:17:30 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 26, 2016, 06:00:38 PM
you don't still have Tank Leader around, do you?

Yeah I still have it. I'm really surprised it didn't sell.

Do you mind throwing that in the box with Castle Risk?  I've got some other stuff I'll add to box headed your way with Fortress Berlin.
And if you'd done this before Origins, you could've added Barth's game and I could've taken it to Origins with me! ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 26, 2016, 06:43:17 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2016, 06:17:30 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 26, 2016, 06:00:38 PM
you don't still have Tank Leader around, do you?

Yeah I still have it. I'm really surprised it didn't sell.

Do you mind throwing that in the box with Castle Risk?  I've got some other stuff I'll add to box headed your way with Fortress Berlin.
And if you'd done this before Origins, you could've added Barth's game and I could've taken it to Origins with me! ;)

As insane as the last few months have been to me, a reminder would have helped a lot.

I don't see why not. Text me your address. I have something I need to send out tomorrow certified mail; if it doesn't cost too much to ship these two things then I'll send it along too.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 26, 2016, 08:08:28 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 26, 2016, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 26, 2016, 05:41:47 PM
My brain meltrd from looking at all that

so did your spellcheck

Really encouraging me to attend Origins

don't worry - we spell the game titles for you there ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Wow. 

I'd like to off-load a few titles, but don't want to bother with Ebay'ing them just yet.  Should probably keep an eye out for something like this.

As for your shiny new Battle Cry, you mentioned it not being the original.  Does that mean the old ~90s edition is considered superior to the latest one in some way?  I still have the old one.. don't know the differences between the versions.

Arctic Blast

B_C : Weird stuff sells. I met a guy once who has spent time grabbing games from second hand stores and selling them. He regularly gets $20-$30 for various versions of Trivial Pursuit and the like. Just weirdly random crap that will move for a decent amount of cash. Also, there's some economic game that you can get from some dude's seminars and nowhere else. That thing will go for some serious coin.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on June 28, 2016, 11:11:14 AM
As for your shiny new Battle Cry, you mentioned it not being the original.  Does that mean the old ~90s edition is considered superior to the latest one in some way?  I still have the old one.. don't know the differences between the versions.

I'm not sure, Nef. I think this one is considered superior, just because it has a ton of scenarios. The original came out in 2000 and had 15 scenarios:

QuoteFirst Bull Run--21st July, 1861
Pea Ridge--7th March, 1862
Kernstown--23rd March, 1862
Shiloh--6th April, 1862
Gaines Mill--27th June, 1862
Brawner's Farm--28th August, 1862
Antietam--17th September, 1862
Fredericksburg--13th December, 1862
Murfreesboro--31st December, 1862
Chancellorsville--3rd May, 1863
Gettysburg--2nd July, 1863
Gettysburg--3rd July, 1863
Chickamauga--20th September, 1863
New Market--15th May, 1864
New Hope Church--25th May, 1864

The newer one came out in 2010 and has 30 scenarios to it. The BGG page description for the newer title says it is an "expanded and updated" version.

Here's a link to an article on BGG, where the author explains the differences between the two.

I've never owned the older version. Like I said, always wanted it, never could find it, and it shot up in price pretty quickly. I'm happier to have this version to be honest.

Nefaro

Thanks.

Sounds like everything is improved in some way, in the new version, other than the construction quality of the cards. 

The old one was damn addictive, so the new one with the extra scenarios can only be that much better.

If you beat me at getting Posthuman to the table, post some gameplay impressions. 

I picked it up mainly for some solitaire play.  After reading the manual, I'm still not sure as to whether it will be a 'Yay' or 'Meh' experience.  Will probably depend on the variety of events & obstacles randomly thrown at players by the card content.  At least it's theme is post-apoc Mutants as opposed to yet more zombayys!

MetalDog

That's an epic story, B_C.  It felt like that with the people at Origins.  Everyone at Grog Central were just outstanding and welcoming.  Truly cool you had that experience, too.  And please don't eat Papa John's.  It's really not very good.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2016, 11:23:14 PM
And please don't eat Papa John's.  It's really not very good.

That's the truth!

BanzaiCat

Part 2

I still had close to $300 in store credit at Ettin Games, so I took my son and daughter with me to 'help' me spend it. ;)

I ended up getting more of the same. My son had zero interest in getting anything (typical). I'm surprised he went along.

In any case, here's the remainder of the haul:

Twin Suns Star Wars: Imperial Assault expansion

This one I wanted because of Boba Fett. Unfortunately they didn't have the Fett figurine, but no matter. I'll check back again later. Maybe I'll just order it off of Amazon the next time I actually get enough steps to earn one through my workplace's wellness program.

I like the fact that this one says there's an Imperial Star Destroyer bridge you can play on.

Return to Hoth Star Wars: Imperial Assault Expansion

This is the main one I wanted, but then again I wanted to get all of the Imperial Assault expansions.

I love the idea of a return to the ruined/abandoned base. No telling what might be hanging out around there!

Star Wars: Imperial Assault Figures (Good Guys)

Here's some of the figures I got for the Light Side:

Echo Base Troopers
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Chewbacca
Alliance Smuggler

I think I mentioned in my first post I wanted to get Chewie, and here he is. I almost got Leia instead of the Alliance Smuggler, but my daughter said she was "lame" after reading the back of the figure's box (lol). I'm sure I'll end up collecting that figure sooner or later.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault Figures (Bad Guys)

And some of the Dark Side:

Grand Inquisitor
Royal Guard Champion
Bossk
Greedo

I like the Royal Guard and Greedo figures. Bossk seemed like a goo acquisition, too. The Grand Inquisitor I know nothing about, but he seemed cooler than the General...what was it, Viers, maybe(?) figure.

Dungeons & Dragons Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game

I liked the look of this one. I already have Ravenloft and it's a good game.

Such a great module from back in the day. I know I paid way more for this than it costs off of Amazon, but I'm supporting a local game store - and plus, it's all store credit, so it's not like I can spend it somewhere else, eh?

Another Sh*tload of Marvel Dice Masters Gravity Feed Packs

Why?

Well, mainly because at that point I was at around $20 or so credit left, and my daughter wanted more, so why not. I'd already added a T-shirt for her (some anime thing I've never heard of, but there's no tentacles involved thank goodness).

That's it, thank goodness. For now.

I didn't end up buying any paints; the guy said their brushes were ridiculously expensive and I should just get some at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I didn't have the outside/spare cash at the time to go buy some brushes, but he did tell me which paints he recommended (I can't remember the name of the brand, but they were selling them for 2.99 each). The white primer was going to be about ten bucks for a big can. I just passed on it so I could get another expansion. I'll do the painting thing some other time.

Nefaro

I'm jealous.

Still have Imperial Assault on my 'To Do' list, along with painting all that stuff.  :coolsmiley:  And they're coming out with boxed expansions like mad! 

:crazy2:

BanzaiCat

Indeed they are! The Bespin one surprised me; I only knew of Hoth and Twin Suns to that point. I haven't gone and looked any of them up - I really don't need to see that. :(

Too late, I just looked it up...looks like I have all three of them.  O:-) For the moment.

In any case the flea market was great all around, and now I have a bunch of awesome new stuff to play around with...when I have a chance, ha.

The paints are still on my to-do list. When I get about fifty free dollars (another 'ha') or so, I'll go get them.

Nefaro

It seems like I'm so far behind on them because I'm also so far behind on the Descent stuff I currently have.

Gotta say... I've been surprised how great the mini sculpts are in Descent.  Some of the best single-piece plastic ones I've seen.  Imperial Assault is also pretty good.   

Although the AT-ST needed some assembly, I noticed some of the larger monsters in Descent were multi-piece but FFG had them glued at the factory.  Huge plus, as I loathe spending time clipping that shit from sprues, trimming, and gluing together.  Less assembly time = more painting time.