Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Deadstick - Bush Flight Simulator
« Last post by bob48 on Today at 06:47:19 AM »
Yeah - the French used the Criquet (which was a licenced built version of the Storch) in Indo China as spotter aircraft.
« Last post by Staggerwing on Today at 06:43:16 AM »
It'd be cool if they added a Fieseler Storch or Morane-Saulnier Criquet to the plane roster. They were still used extensively long after WW2 ended, especially for rough terrain rescues.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Here Lies Early Access. RIP
« Last post by Nefaro on Today at 06:06:43 AM »
There is also the occasional EA title that gets labeled as officially released only to find that the developer decided to end that EA title and continue working on it in the form of a sequel.  Add a "2" on the end, get people to buy it once more.
Computer Wargaming / Re: DCS Discussion
« Last post by Nefaro on Today at 06:03:27 AM »
Perfect for me. I get an hour of so of gaming at a time...canít spend it doing flight checks and warming up engines. I DO like realistic flight modeling and weapons to some extent. Itís the engine management that gets me

There is more engine management in IL-2 than there is in DCS. Not sure what you are referring too. None of the flight checks done on the ground in DCS are actually necessary. They are included in tutorials for realism, but they can all be skipped. There are also quick start up cheats FYI. Press one button and youíre ready to taxi.

The quick start hotkey combo starts up the engines & electrical.  There are still some avionics, radar, weapons, etc left over to turn on or adjust.   It does cut down on the start-up load though.

I've always been fine with not having clickable 'pits and just using the keyboard.  I tend to bind most everything I can to my HOTAS or keyboard anyway, as it's much easier than using the mouse and trying to hold my TrackIR still on the cockpit button I'm trying to click while in the air.  So the cockpit clicking in mostly just the start-up routine. 

The real question is if I already own the full fidelity aircraft they're adding to this new edition, why would I be in a rush to get it?
« Last post by bob48 on Today at 04:13:10 AM »
Now, if we get chance to fly one of these;

« Last post by Grim.Reaper on Today at 04:01:17 AM »
Yep, agree with that....I don't take much chances with the "little guys", not because they are little, just typically those games don't interest me as much.  And with Steam being so huge right now, I never take the time to search the catalog, mostly what I see is from the front store page and recommendations......and quite honestly, most of the other ones I check out are because people on this board mention them, which I really appreciate since it allows me to see some different things.

In the end it will always come down to personal choice and I don't see them going away anytime soon.....but I certainly understand people's concerns and frustrations.

Now if we could do away with the loot crap and games that lock content (without any way to unlock per my own choice for a game I bought), then I would be heaven:)
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 03:53:36 AM »
^good points. It is true that most of the games on my list that have failed during EA are indie titles. I do have a tendency to search for new and obscure indie games with new ideas and mechanics. Although these games almost always start off with promise, Iím finding they never receive the publicity and therefore funding needed to get them out of EA.

Steam has created a great platform for new games to get into peopleís hands, but their system that gets games onto the front page so people can find them does no favors for the little guys.
« Last post by Grim.Reaper on Today at 03:42:17 AM »
I am still a big fan of EA.....guess I have been fairly lucky since I haven't really bought into an EA game that I would consider a complete failure or abandoned.  However, I do agree with your point about whether when the game is actually released if I play it much after that.  Not sure that is necessarily because of EA for me since I do typically have a short attention span anyway even for fully released games.  I am sure some developers do abandon early and in some cases quality questionable, I just try and be selective in the ones I reasonably believe will have some success.  I don't dabble in a ton of the indie games so maybe that is why I have had a little more luck.  And in some cases it doesn't hurt that they give some decent discounts for buying in early:)

Plus, I am sure if I go through my list of games, I would likely find that many games that weren't even in EA were total flops and bug ridden......Matrix World in Flames I am looking squarely right at you:)
Computer Wargaming / Here Lies Early Access. RIP
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 03:33:40 AM »
Iím going through somewhat of a gaming rut at the moment and I was going through my extensive list of steam games when I was struck by something...there were so many early access titles that were development failures. Some had struggled on for years, dying violent deaths despite great perseverance by their developers, others had gone out with a whimper, with updates becoming fewer and farther in between, and finally some never really even got off the ground. They were released with great promise and then the developer was never heard from again.

Itís hard for me to conclude that early access has been a good trend for the industry. I think overall, it has drastically reduced the quality of releases and actually incentivizes developers to abandon their project if early sales do not meet their expectations. Although there is a significant short term benefit to the player (ie. Instant gratification}, the long term net result is often disappointment and frustration.

There are, of course, many exceptions. But Iím finding that after a long successful early access period, most usually when a game exits EA reaching a 1.0 release, Iíve already burned out on the experience and seen most of what the game has to offer. For example, take a highly polished EA title like Subnautica. This is a fantastic game of discovery and exploration that had a very long, but active EA cycle. I must have put dozens and dozens of hours into it throughout the EA period. When it actually exited EA, there wasnít much excitement for me because I had already explored its deepest darkest depths. I honestly donít think Iíve put in more than an hour or two since release. Sad.

In any event. What are your thoughts on EA?

Discuss.
Computer Wargaming / Re: DCS Discussion
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 03:20:13 AM »
Perfect for me. I get an hour of so of gaming at a time...canít spend it doing flight checks and warming up engines. I DO like realistic flight modeling and weapons to some extent. Itís the engine management that gets me

There is more engine management in IL-2 than there is in DCS. Not sure what you are referring too. None of the flight checks done on the ground in DCS are actually necessary. They are included in tutorials for realism, but they can all be skipped. There are also quick start up cheats FYI. Press one button and youíre ready to taxi.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10