The "Holy %$%# It's Hot Out There" Summer 2018 Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, April 02, 2018, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Better pic up a copy of Hustler to get you through.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Looks like my part of Alabama has entered into the humid time of the year (i.e. 7-9 months).

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Praise the Lord - The Wife informs me that our power is back on!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Wow, that German twister looks relatively punchy! -- strong F2 at least, maybe F3.  :o

Edited to add: that guy in the car was lucky it was only a strong F0 or F1 when it hit him (looked worse than it was).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Heh, that guy at the end... "...opps, time to get indoors. Uh-huh, yeah. I wonder where it's going noOH IT'S COMING HERE!" {scurries for cover} {a minute later} "Wow, that was intense, my patio is covered in debris, I wonder where it is nowWHOOOMM!!!"

Crap, I have nightmares like that.  :hide: :timeout: :wow:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 17, 2018, 02:16:30 PM
Heh, that guy at the end... "...opps, time to get indoors. Uh-huh, yeah. I wonder where it's going noOH IT'S COMING HERE!" {scurries for cover} {a minute later} "Wow, that was intense, my patio is covered in debris, I wonder where it is nowWHOOOMM!!!"

Crap, I have nightmares like that.  :hide: :timeout: :wow:

Normally we don't have twisters like that over here so I guess most people don't really know how to react.  I don't think one house in Germany or the Benelux has some kind of tornado shelter.
In extreme conditions an F0 or F1 occurs but something like the one in the video could be a first.

JasonPratt

It just occurred to me, what it would be like on the steppes of the Eastern Front to have something like that rolling toward you along with Panthers or, on the other side, kilotons of artillery shells.

Gusington

A guy in my area was taking video of one of the tornadoes here Tuesday and posting it online as it destroyed his house, unknown to him :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I hate tornadoes. Even being in the middle of an F0 is hideous. My family and I were in the local diner ten or fifteen years ago when an F0 landed smack on top of it. It never got registered as a tornado, but aside from the telltale pressure drop you could look out the windows on the left side and see rain going horizontally one way, and look out the windows on the right side and see rain going horizontally the other way. Only one thing does that. No real damage, so only F0, but {shudder}.

A funnel cloud about ten miles wide (basically a supercell just decided to drop straightdown) dropped four or five half-mile wide F4s, on our town and the one next door and down the road, back on April 1st ten years ago or more. The actual touchdowns bounced around, merged, converged, and were strong enough to spin off their own satellites. Funnels were on the ground from Paragould, AR to around the Tennessee River. Killed the daughter, husband, and baby, of one of Mom's best friends, and flattened two neighborhoods in our own town (that particular funnel jumping over our house). We weren't there for it, but weren't far enough away to suit me! (I had argued strenuously to just drive twenty miles south while we still had plenty of time; went to an aunt's basement instead.) Night-time so nothing to see, other than solid horizontal rain from the basement windows as the cell passed over for a minute. Had the main funnel touched down it would have been wider than Reno, OK, five times as wide easily. (That's probably true of other super-funnels that never themselves touched the ground but spun off vortices that did.)

JasonPratt

In what was probably my eeriest experience (so far) with a funnel (and I followed one in the air to Cracker Barrel once!), the 1998 Nashville wedge tornado (3/4 mile wide, never itself quite touched down on the city but threw off satellite funnels that did) passed over our factory a few hours earlier. The guys and I were all standing outside in sunny daylight watching these weird clouds pass overhead, ten or twelve layers of them, and up in the middle was one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng thin vortex, umpty miles long, thin as a rail but twisting around, parts of it coming and going, practically from horizon to horizon. We all figured someone east of us was going to have a very bad day; and as the system got to the eastern horizon (about an hour later) we thought we saw the system developing into a wedge. We were correct, but it stayed in the air from the Tennessee River on to Nashville and only touched down itself on the east side (about 3 hours away from us).