[iOS] Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land

Started by spelk, January 30, 2012, 02:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

son_of_montfort

I purchased it, apparently they surprised us with a co-release for iPad.

I'll play it a bit soon and report back.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm playing it on my iPhone.  I've only completed the first mission so far.  Even after the update, I find the touch controls pretty finicky and frustrating.  All too often, I try to select an enemy to shoot at but the game interprets my selection as a movement order and rushes my soldier out into the open and uses up all of his action points.  Hopefully they'll do some more work on the touch tech or, failing that, they'll add an undo option.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 07, 2012, 10:35:04 PM
I'm playing it on my iPhone.  I've only completed the first mission so far.  Even after the update, I find the touch controls pretty finicky and frustrating. All too often, I try to select an enemy to shoot at but the game interprets my selection as a movement order and rushes my soldier out into the open and uses up all of his action points.  Hopefully they'll do some more work on the touch tech or, failing that, they'll add an undo option.

Yes! Me too. I shelved it for a bit because I just couldn't get that to work well. I'll likely pick it back up soon and try to work through it.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Keunert

the newest patch solved the control issues. it is now a lot less frustrating and i just managed to finish this game.
i'll give it a 5. (out of 6)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes, the 1.2 patch fixed the control issues and game lock ups for me.  I'm plodding along now and finding fun and quite challenging.  I wish you could save the game at point of your choosing as I'm kinda screwed on the latest mission.  Guys are in poor position after I just completed an objective by killing evil Dr. Monocle.  Unfortunately, the game then spams me with shotgun toting cultists and there's no way to beat this level.  The only options are "restart level", "revet to last turn" or "revert to last objective".  Last turn and last objective bring me to the same spot, ie certain death.  Don't really want to start over again.

Keunert

yes that's a major annoyance. one of my rifle experts had to do a mission with only a knife because i did a stupid mistake. i had to play the mission until i made it without the handy shotgun. really annoying.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Silent Disapproval Robot

All right, how the hell do you beat the level where you've got 25 turns to get across the map and evil Dr. Nasty shows up and brings a bunch of Cthulids with him?  I'm toast by turn 6 every time.

Keunert

try to use the brains!
or do like i did: restart the level a dozen times.
Oscar Wilde

Windigo

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think we both know the first option's not in the cards.
Right, restart it is to try the same tactic for the 10th time! It's bound to work this time!  (Whadda know?  This game really is like WWI)