The 29837456293847th Annual GrogHeads March Madness Bracket Challenge!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 11, 2018, 03:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

(I think it's the 7th, but if we count the 'old place' and then we've probably got a decade of these)

Here's the info for this year's NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge

Here's the page to enter your bracket

Reminder: you need an ESPN acc't / login to join.
The group is up - we're "Grogheads" and the password is "hoops" (no quotes)  O0

You can't enter anything before this weekend when the brackets are announced.

It's set for 2 entries / person, but that's only so I can create the usual "Straight Chalk" bracket that lets you compare against the tournament seeding.  Anyone entering 2 'legit' brackets will have both DQ'ed.

We'll find some kind of prize along the way...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

bayonetbrant

OK, Straight Chalk and my personal bracket are both in.  Sorry Airboy, I've got NC State beating Auburn a few rounds in.  Gotta play the "homer" card for a few games at least :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Airboy is correct, not easy this year.

My joke of a bracket is done.  By Sunday night, I should be out of contention. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Yeah, I'm pretty conflicted on this one.  The #1s are there for a reason, but almost any of the #2s could win it all.

The truth is, if everyone brings their "A" game for the entire tournament, Duke is going to win; they're just that much more talented than anyone else.  The problem is that Duke hasn't brought their "A" game nearly often enough this year that you feel confident expecting them to do it for 6 straight games.

Tom Izzo has been a master of the tournament for years with his coaching adjustments, but do you really want to count on him bucking 15 years of not getting over the hump at the end? 

The Bill Self Bingo Card of different seeds he's lost to is running out of spaces to get checked off.  He won't lose to a #16, but are you 100% confident Kansas won't choke in their next game?  I mean, they lost to Az St at home and got swept by Ok St.

UVa is an awesome defense, but the committee really screwed them.  Your reward as the overall #1 is (potentially) Arizona in the sweet 16 with the best player in college basketball?

airboy

I'm still on the road, but I have a set of picks together.  I'll hopefully have time to carefully review it Wednesday night.

Brant, you have lost your mind to pick State to survive long enough to have the chance to beat Auburn.  We will see when the brackets are posted if you really picked State to beat Kansas.  I'm guessing that this is a feint to mess with Jason Pratt.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on March 12, 2018, 02:05:00 PM
Brant, you have lost your mind to pick State to survive long enough to have the chance to beat Auburn.  We will see when the brackets are posted if you really picked State to beat Kansas.  I'm guessing that this is a feint to mess with Jason Pratt.

There's not a chance in hell they beat Kansas.  But on the off-chance that it does materialize, the entire bracket is mine! :)

Plus, Bill Self is going to bomb out sooner or later, so picking Kansas to win is rarely a safe bet.

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on March 15, 2018, 07:27:44 PM
How'd that NC State pick work out for you, Brant?

Not worth a shit...  but I figured they wouldn't make it out of the first weekend anyway.

The refs called the game very tight and Seton Hall adjusted better than NC State did.

OJsDad

The only reason I'm not perfect at this point is because of the Chokepack. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Man, I really stunk up the joint with that bracket, huh?

RANK BRACKET           R64   R32  S16  E8    F4  NCG   CHAMPION     PPR    TOTAL    PCT
1*   Airboy            130    0    0    0    0    0    Villanova    1760    130    92.7
1*   Straight Chalk    130    0    0    0    0    0    UVA          1740    130    92.7
1*   OJsDad            130    0    0    0    0    0    Michigan St  1680    130    92.7
4    stophro           120    0    0    0    0    0    UVA          1760    120    71.3
5    bayonetbrant      110    0    0    0    0    0    UVA          1680    110    45.6

bayonetbrant

OJsDad

#1 Virginia got beat #16 UMBC.  First time ever a 16 has beat 1. Did by 20 points.