Origins 2017 (June 14-18), Columbus OH

Started by bayonetbrant, June 24, 2016, 08:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I've cut it down to 1,100.  I've cut it down to 600.  The final choices are going to be brutal, just brutal.

bayonetbrant

A lot of them will be decided by schedule
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Brant:  I'm trying to schedule one grogheads event at Origins.  Not looking for something complicated and I won't know the rules.  Played tons of games (duh) over the years.

Which would you suggest?
GrogHeads Presents: '65
GrogHeads Presents: Old School Tactical 2
GrogHeads Presents: Night of Man
GrogHeads Presents: Old School Tactical Mega Game
GrogHeads Presents: Wing Leader Supremacy

Part will depend on scheduling of other things.

Suggestions?

bayonetbrant

The first 4 are all Mark Walker games, and he'll be there to help run them. 
The other is air combat, run by Barthheart, and he loves that system.

'65 an Night of Man are basically the same system.  The question is whether you want Vietnam combat or sci-fi combat.
Night of Man is actually pretty cool, and I think it's a fun one.

I definitely recommend trying to do one of the Command Post Wargames, though.  Barth is right - it's a blast and it's one of those things that you can only really do at a convention like this when we have the ability to nest it within a larger program.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

So wing leader supremacy.  I've never played an air combat game.  I have difficulty dealing with spacial relationships, which is why I cannot do PC flight sims.

mirth

Quote from: airboy on March 28, 2017, 08:12:59 PM
So wing leader supremacy.  I've never played an air combat game.  I have difficulty dealing with spacial relationships, which is why I cannot do PC flight sims.

Wing Leader isn't that sort of game. It's pretty straightforward tactics as a boardgame. Spatial relationships aren't really a concern. It's not a flight sim. It's a command a squadron tactical boardgame.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

It's basically an aviation side-scroller boardgame.

*sees Barth looking over*

*quickly* But in a good way...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 28, 2017, 08:24:02 PM
It's basically an aviation side-scroller boardgame.

*sees Barth looking over*

*quickly* But in a good way...

I kicked ass at Time Pilot.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

- Flight Game - That is what I thought, but I wanted to ask.

Brant - when will the event registration go live?  I want to get into the events that I'm interested in.  I have it narrowed down to 600 events (many are duplicate times), so I should be able to jam in playing nonstop.

The Call of Cthulhu selection is simply awesome!

One shock, there are no intro sections to Settlers of Catan which seems odd.  I can probably play a demo at Southern Fried Game Expo, but still no demo of Catan at Origins seems strange.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on March 28, 2017, 08:27:42 PM
Brant - when will the event registration go live?  I want to get into the events that I'm interested in.  I have it narrowed down to 600 events (many are duplicate times), so I should be able to jam in playing nonstop.

Usually mid-April

MetalDog

As a participant in the staff exercise last year, airboy, I can tell you it was a great time.  If you can possibly find time in your busy schedule, you should take it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on March 28, 2017, 08:27:42 PMBrant - when will the event registration go live?  I want to get into the events that I'm interested in.  I have it narrowed down to 600 events (many are duplicate times), so I should be able to jam in playing nonstop.

Event registration opens May 3rd @ 13:00 (EDT).

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 07, 2017, 12:27:00 PM
Quote from: airboy on March 28, 2017, 08:27:42 PMBrant - when will the event registration go live?  I want to get into the events that I'm interested in.  I have it narrowed down to 600 events (many are duplicate times), so I should be able to jam in playing nonstop.

Event registration opens May 3rd @ 13:00 (EDT).

Thanks!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Cyrano

I nowhere see the Grogheads All-Nite "Line in the Sand" (GALS) game.

Clearly an oversight in the PEL...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on April 07, 2017, 11:28:52 PM
I nowhere see the Grogheads All-Nite "Line in the Sand" (GALS) game.

Clearly an oversight in the PEL...

You still bringing yer copy?  :D