Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein - an iPad Battle of the Bulge AAR

Started by Barthheart, January 06, 2013, 04:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Alright, start of Dec. 17. Here's the progress I've made so far... not bad but a long way to go. You can see the out of supply US troops at teh start of the day. They will stay out of supply for the entire day even if reconnected during the day. They can's activate when out of supply but they can fight back.

Barthheart

The US gets some reinforcements this turn too. Reinforcements for either side can be delayed and re-routed if their entry area is in enemy hands.

Barthheart

When out in the main map screen there is a menu button. Touch that and you get some options to look at other info like this screen. It's a calender showing when you can expect new troops and replacement points. Also shows VP levels for victory for each side for that day.

Barthheart

You can also get a full map supply overlay view from that menu.

Barthheart

Barthheart

Barthheart

This shot shows me looking at a potential attack. It's across a river and into the woods so not great. The "Likely Hits" show I'll probably take more damge then the US so I'll use the UnDo button in the upper left to cancel the attack. Attacks don't happen until you touch the Commit button in teh top right.

Barthheart

Here I've selected the 1 SS Pz to move. It can go lots of places by I want it to take the town of Spa, it's worth 1 VP/turn. I'm given 2 choices of paths to get there. One is straight over the river and the other is to take the road west then north. This will give me control of both of those areas. So I touch the left most symbol, bridge crossing, to chose.

Barthheart

The US responds by moving the Armour in Verviers to Ouffet.

Barthheart

I counter by attacking Eupen and killing a scout unit and forcing an infantry to retreat.

Barthheart

More moves by both sides and here I'm making a sceond attack trying to dislodge this damn tank! It works!

Barthheart

Start of a new day, Dec. 18, and more Allied unit pour onto the map. At leaset we get a little help. Also note at teh top that I have only 9 VP's of the 37 needed to win the game on this day.... not much hope of that... but at least it is equally as hard for the Allies to drive teh VP total bleow 0 so they can win.

Barthheart

Supply situation at the start of the 18th. Those US units have now been isolated (cutoff for 2 days in a row) and can't even fight back now. It still takes an activation of mine to attack them so unless everything gets down that I really need to do, these will just sit here. Also not that the US unit near the top right of the map are still in supply. This is because the Allies get to draw supply from the north, west and south edges of the map.

Barthheart

A look at where my VP's are coming from. 3 from occupying St. Vith and Spa and 6 from eliminated Allied strength points (steps). You only get these last VP's when you actually destroy a unit not just reduce a step. So the name of the game is to capture VP locations and advance across the Meuse, not destroying Allied units.

Barthheart

Second assault on Bastogne...... by the way the Germans alway get first activation each day until Dec. 23 when the skies clear then the Allies always activate first.