Rex Tutonicorum - An Altmark/Brandenburg CKII AAR - Count to King

Started by undercovergeek, September 09, 2012, 07:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Having started the front screen Parma AAR as a count (voted for by the people of Grogheads) i have seen a whole different side to the game. So, without further ado ive decided to start an AAR here as one of the German Counts to share the experience with you guys here, a) because im loving it and b) for any of you who want to see if its possible, and indeed how to rise from lowly count to HRE!!

During the voting LB suggested he would like to see a German game based around Brandenburg and then forming Germany. I started the game to pick Brandenburg but he's already a Duke, so i picked Altmark, a vassal of Brandenburg and a count in his realm.

Our primary goals then are to capture, cajole or usurp the Duchy of Brandenburg, spread our power out with carefully selected marriages, Hapsburg style, and then start collecting the Duchys for the Kingdom of Germany.

And its much easier said than done!!!! As the King of Leon i threw Duchies and Counties about without a thought for the impact it had on those families and provinces at a lower level, but at that lower level you have to scrap for every crumb from the HRE's table, even your duke's table. The first obvious obstacle is that my Duke has more troops at his disposal than i do, even if i can fabricate a claim. Secondly he's a Duke, i cant just ask him for his lands, or even rise to a rival Duchy without his permission - goddammed high society and its rules!

So, very first goal is to capture some other lands to be able to rival Brandenburg when i call for independence................

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on September 09, 2012, 09:26:39 AM
This has my attention! I am jiggily with excitement.

I don't think anyone wants to see you jiggily with anything.....   :o
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Here we go.

From small acorns grow mighty Oaks - i hope to hell its true, i feel tiny and insubstantial at the minute.

Count Friedrich, a Master Theologian with a very handy Stewardship skill and no claims on any other titles. One son and a 'fertile wife'.

Theres Altmark, part of a triumverate of provinces making up the Duchy of Brandenburg, along with Anhalt. To the West the Duchy of Saxony, to the South the Duchy of Meissen, and to the North the Pagan lands of Mecklenburg and the single province of Lubeck.

undercovergeek

I bump up the City Tax - ive only got one to worry about and i simply have to make some money somewhere

undercovergeek

Im bitter i havent been picked to be my Dukes Steward, i sulk and tell on Bishop Baldewin

The Chancellor is sent to Lubeck to fabricate claims there - its a single province, next door, and quite rich - its first on the list of lands to grab before we threaten Brandenburg

The Martial trains troops in Altmark

The Steward raises taxes in Altmark

The Spymaster goes to steal technology from Alexandria - a very successful ploy in the Parma AAR and brings in all kinds of tech updates on a regular basis

As always the Chaplain goes to whisper nice things about me in the Popes ear

undercovergeek

'Limited' is the first step to closing down the autonomy of the vassals, this isnt worrying yet, and as an honest to goodness RPG, if this was me id say yes - if the motion gets passed my relationship increases with HRE, if i say no and it gets passed men with pointy sticks come down to Altmark and make me holey

undercovergeek

Ok, time to harvest the talent of Europe and bring in some high intrigue, martial, and diplomacy ladies for the cream of Altmark, to teach the kids............

Im not too sure about Eberhard, he has a look of the cross dresser about him, ive toyed with posting him in the 'Reds' section of the forum. He's marrying Alix with her 18 intrigue, im sure if she comes home and finds him in her clothes he's off out of the window or down the stairs.

undercovergeek

...........whereas Anakin here gets the diplomatically awesome Aines

undercovergeek

undercovergeek

Wow - 9 provinces declare independence from the HRE, most of them in Italy - i dont know if the big fella can quell them all without losing one or two

undercovergeek

Well, i didnt expect that to happen! it must be something to do with the Spymasters skill level, which isnt great, lets try again.................

oh, and yes thats 15 vassals now declaring independence - ill post a map of the inevitable shrinkage of the AAR when its all over