The Four Musketeers: Armada 2526 Supernova (PBEM) AAR

Started by Martok, June 13, 2012, 07:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

The Cryokon Federation
Prime Minister Shelldrake
Turn 9 update

The Federation continues to grow at the cost of our treasury, which is rapidly shrinking due to the cost of supporting our new colonies. The Bureau of Emmigration anticipates establishing a fifth colony at Atria within the next 2 months.

We badly need to colonize a rich world to provide additional income but the only one identified so far (at Beta Draconis) is hostile to our race. Our primitive technology is not yet able to support a colonization effort in such a high radiation environment. A second scout ship has set out to the galactic east in the hope of finding a more hospitable mineral-rich world while our fist scout ship continues exploring to the galactic west. We have yet to find any more evidence of hostile or friendly alien civilizations. Are we truly alone?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

W8taminute

Human Union
Emperor of Mankind W8taminute
Turn 9 Status Update

The debate over raising taxes is over.  It was a bitter contest between those who favored growth over those who realize the need for increased income.  In the end a compromise was reached.  Earth would bear the brunt of the taxes while all colonies would not have their tax rates changed.  Human kind desperately needs to colonize a rich world and one was found at the extreme west edge of our travel range.  Terran shipyards immediately began construction of a colony ship to take advantage of this find.  It will be some time before we can reach the lush system, hopefully it will still be there for Earth to colonize and bring into compliance.

With the debate over taxes ended the Emperor turns his attention to the science budget.  This will be a subject that no doubt will bring much discussion in the senate.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

OJsDad

In our tenth month of our diaspora, we have found an rich, ideal planet with an asteroid belt.  As a bonus, this system has both Fertile Soil and Natural Antimatter.  We have dispatched an Arc ship, which will take seven months to reach Zeta Leporis, which is in the far north west area of our explored space.

Our scouts continue to explore wherever they can.   In addition to Zeta Leporis, they have also explored Zeta Volantis.  While it's a poor planet, it does have Rare Minerals, so it may be one we will want to colonize before too long.

On Origin, we have completed a second ship yard.  One ship yard is constructing a new Arc ship, and the second one is now building new transports to help grow new colonies faster. 

Our funds are dropping with all of this new construction, but it is well worth to expand our small empire.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Now that I have my pictures displaying, I'll start making them big enough to see and read :)
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

On this, the 11th month of our diaspora, we have colonized our fourth planet, Ravenna.  Ravenna sits on our western borders.  With this colonization, we will open many new star systems for exploration.    Our heavy industries at Pergamum and Roma have been completed.  Further development on Roma is curtailed at this time, due to lack of population, however, both Origin and Pergamum are building the infrastructure needed to begin interstellar commerce.

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on June 17, 2012, 01:55:25 PM
In our tenth month of our diaspora, we have found an rich, ideal planet with an asteroid belt.  As a bonus, this system has both Fertile Soil and Natural Antimatter. 
[whistles appreciatively] 

Merry Christmas to you!  I think you just found what will likely be one of the AROM's most important colonies.  :) 

In addition to Zeta Leporis, they have also explored Zeta Volantis.  While it's a poor planet, it does have Rare Minerals, so it may be one we will want to colonize before too long.
Quick tip:  While there's little harm in going ahead and colonizing Zeta Volantis whenever you want (especially if it's Habitable or Ideal), you may want to hold off a little while on actually building the facilities necessary to exploit the Rare Minerals there.  If you build those facilities before you have at least a few colonies with halfway-decent-sized populations -- say, 30 or more -- that are also within "trade range" of Zeta Volantis (no more than 22 squares away IIRC), you're probably going to be wasting money, especially when you consider the facilities' upkeep costs (versus how much trade/tourism income they're taking in). 

(Sorry for the unsolicited advice, by the way.  I'll crawl back into my dungeon now...) 

Quote from: OJsDad on June 17, 2012, 02:12:41 PM
Now that I have my pictures displaying, I'll start making them big enough to see and read :)
Cool!  I take it you were able to get things to work with Flickr then?  Or did you end up using a different site? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Quote from: Martokyou may want to hold off a little while on actually building the facilities necessary to exploit the Rare Minerals there.  If you build those facilities before you have at least a few colonies with halfway-decent-sized populations -- say, 30 or more -- that are also within "trade range" of Zeta Volantis (no more than 22 squares away IIRC), you're probably going to be wasting money, especially when you consider the facilities' upkeep costs (versus how much trade/tourism income they're taking in).

I totally agree with you there and I've been holding off on facilities on my colonies until they're good and ready.  I am building a few missile bases but that's about it.  Otherwise I'm dumping my money into my homeworld.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on June 18, 2012, 01:10:42 PM
In our tenth month of our diaspora, we have found an rich, ideal planet with an asteroid belt.  As a bonus, this system has both Fertile Soil and Natural Antimatter. 
[whistles appreciatively] 

Merry Christmas to you!  I think you just found what will likely be one of the AROM's most important colonies.  :) 

Well...it was Fathers day yesterday  8)

Quote from: Martok
In addition to Zeta Leporis, they have also explored Zeta Volantis.  While it's a poor planet, it does have Rare Minerals, so it may be one we will want to colonize before too long.
Quick tip:  While there's little harm in going ahead and colonizing Zeta Volantis whenever you want (especially if it's Habitable or Ideal), you may want to hold off a little while on actually building the facilities necessary to exploit the Rare Minerals there.  If you build those facilities before you have at least a few colonies with halfway-decent-sized populations -- say, 30 or more -- that are also within "trade range" of Zeta Volantis (no more than 22 squares away IIRC), you're probably going to be wasting money, especially when you consider the facilities' upkeep costs (versus how much trade/tourism income they're taking in). 

I don't recall the habitability of Zeta Volantis at the moment, but I don't think it was very good, and I don't plan on colonizing it yet.

(Sorry for the unsolicited advice, by the way.  I'll crawl back into my dungeon now...) 

Get out of your dungeon and don't be afraid to speakup.  I appreciate it.  Thats the fun of team play or playing with a group.

Quote from: OJsDad on June 17, 2012, 02:12:41 PM
Cool!  I take it you were able to get things to work with Flickr then?  Or did you end up using a different site?

I could not get Flickr to work, so I switched to Photobucket.  I have a dual monitor setup so that is why my screen shots are looking funny still.  Next time, I'll remember to hold down the Alt key to get just the left monitor.  Are you guys doing anything different than using the print screen button on  your keyboard and using paintbrush to save them for your screen shots?

OJsDad

Quote from: W8taminute on June 18, 2012, 01:55:52 PM
Quote from: Martokyou may want to hold off a little while on actually building the facilities necessary to exploit the Rare Minerals there.  If you build those facilities before you have at least a few colonies with halfway-decent-sized populations -- say, 30 or more -- that are also within "trade range" of Zeta Volantis (no more than 22 squares away IIRC), you're probably going to be wasting money, especially when you consider the facilities' upkeep costs (versus how much trade/tourism income they're taking in).

I totally agree with you there and I've been holding off on facilities on my colonies until they're good and ready.  I am building a few missile bases but that's about it.  Otherwise I'm dumping my money into my homeworld.

I don't know if I'm making mistakes or not, but I've built basic mining on all three of my planets already.  I'm also starting to build the basic trading buidling on my homeworld and my closest colony.  I hope to be able to get trading going in the not too distanct furture.

Also, I did build a second ground based shipyard on my homeworld.  This was so I could maintain at least one building an Arc ship, and the other building transports to spread my population around.  I know it may be a bit of waste now, but I think it will pay off big later.

What do you think.

Martok

Volmar Union
Martok, First Speaker of the Council of Elders
Year 1.1 (turn 11)

Intense -- and at times, even acrimonious -- debate has engulfed the Council's sessions the last couple months.  The reason for these heated discussions is that our scout-ships have surveyed two different planets, both of which are forcing us to radically reconsider the worldview most of our people have held for centuries... 

The issue is that both planets -- one in the Nashira system, the other in the Epsilon Aquilae system -- are only marginally habitable by Volmar standards...yet apparently are very comfortable for (what appear to be) carbon-based life forms!  That carbon-based life could even exist has come as a profound shock to nearly all Volmar; even our most far-thinking scientists have never considered the possibility as anything more than an interesting -- and hypothetical -- mental exercise.  Now we must suddenly grapple with the very real possibility that whatever other intelligent species may exist in the galaxy, they may be fundamentally different from us. 

At a more practical level, however, many in the Council are unsure (and those Elders who *are* sure are also sharply divided) as to what to actually *do* with these two planets.  Do we colonize them, or don't we?  There are pros and cons to both. 

On the one hand, both planets would be very uncomfortable for our people: population growth would be slow, and settlers living there would be quite miserable.  (Frankly, our technology is only barely capable of colonizing these worlds at all.)  If we claim these planets, we would essentially be doing so mostly do deny them to someone else -- a notion that does sit well with many Elders.  Are we truly that frightened of the Other (even if they may be carbon-based creatures)? 

All that being said, I've proposed a compromise that appears to be gaining sufficient traction with members of the Council that it just might pass:  Nashira is just to the galactic north of -- and in close proximity to -- our homeworld.  In addition to securing peace of mind among some of our more...xenophobic Elders, colonizing the planet there would also extend our fuel range just far enough that it should allow our scout ships to explore several star systems on the northern edge of explored space, thus (hopefully) facilitating our expansion in that direction.  Any possible colonization of the Epsilon Aquilae system would be tabled for a later discussion. 

A significant faction within the Council objects to my proposal:  They point out (correctly, I'm afraid) that Epsilon Aquilae's mineral deposits are sufficient to at least allow us to construct a Mine there, whereas the planet in the Nashira system is far too mineral-poor...and Mines form the cornerstone of our economy.  It is an admittedly valid point, which means more debate will certainly be needed before any decision is reached. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on June 18, 2012, 02:08:42 PM
Are you guys doing anything different than using the print screen button on  your keyboard and using paintbrush to save them for your screen shots?
Nope, I'm doing the same thing! 

Quote from: OJsDad on June 18, 2012, 02:12:39 PM
I don't know if I'm making mistakes or not, but I've built basic mining on all three of my planets already.  I'm also starting to build the basic trading buidling on my homeworld and my closest colony.  I hope to be able to get trading going in the not too distanct furture.
I wouldn't build the Landing Station on any of your worlds unless/until you've colonized a planet with a Trade/Tourism product (Rare Minerals, Natural Wonders, Past Civilization, etc.)...and even then, only if you plant to immediately build/upgrade the necessary facilities for said planet to "export" that trade/tourism product to your other colonies. 

Quote from: OJsDad on June 18, 2012, 02:12:39 PM
Also, I did build a second ground based shipyard on my homeworld.  This was so I could maintain at least one building an Arc ship, and the other building transports to spread my population around.  I know it may be a bit of waste now, but I think it will pay off big later.

What do you think.
I find that constructing a second shipyard at your homeworld usually becomes a necessity (or at the very least, extremely useful) at some point. 

The only real question is when you choose to do so, and that's more a matter of one's playing style than anything else.  I tend to wait til a little later in the game myself, but that's honestly just my own preference.  Building a second shipyard early on like you've done can set you back a bit at the beginning money-wise, but (as you said) it can -- and often does -- pay off in the longer run (partly for the reasons you outlined). 

Shelldrake

Cryokon Federation
Year 1.2

The day that we both hoped for and feared is upon us! One of our long range scout ships has detected a ship of unknown origin moving into the Gamma Pegasi sector. Our scout ship FSS Intrepid is moving to intercept. Will first contact bring boon or disaster to the Federation?

Four of our five colonies have built or plan to build mines to support the Federation's growth. At this time no further colonies are planned.

Our colony on Archangel continues to focus on research but progress is slow. Our main research efforts are taking place on Cryokon. Our scientists report that they are close to a breakthrough in environmental engineering that should enhance our population's rate of growth.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

W8taminute

Human Union
Emperor of Mankind W8taminute
Turn 12 Status Update

Our factories have produced another ark ship.  After it's christening by Dame W8taminute, wife to the Emperor, it was sent to colonize a rich system that was found recently.  Hopefully we are still alone and will be able to benefit from the rich mineral deposits there. 

Some Earth dwellers have decided to leave Terra, disgusted with the high taxes.  They begin migrating to Olympus, a peaceful colony with an excellent atmosphere and living conditions. 

No other major developments this turn.

OJsDad

Our 12th month of the diaspora has been a quiet one.  One of our scouts has found a planet that is colonizable.  While not ideal, it will be more than satisfactory.  We just need an Arc ship to send, which we will have next month.

We are currently constrained by lack of funds, but it is not a critical issue at this point.  Our new system at Ravenna is helping, and in five months we will have the our second rich system at Zeta Leporis.  The colonization of Ravenna has also opened up seven new systems for our scouts to explore, a task that they are more than happy to take on.

Shelldrake

Cryokon Federation
Year 1.4

Our exploration of local space continues. A long range scout ship has found a potentially useful world at Gamma Dephini that boasts stunning night sky vistas as well as remnants of an alien planetary defence system that warrants extensive study. Unfortunately it is a poor system that will require considerable funds to develop...funds that the Federation cannot spare at this time.

In a disturbing development, the alien species (they refer to themselves as the Klurgu Empire) that we recently encountered has refused our peaceful overtures in such a way that suggests future...unpleasantness. As a result, the Council of the Federation has voted overwhelmingly to raise taxes on Cryo in order to support a crash building program to expand our small and until now neglected self defence forces. We can only hope that it will not be too little too late.

Dean Edell