New Battlestar Galactica Game Announced

Started by DicedT, April 22, 2013, 02:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Hmmm...I don't get anything coming up when I follow that. I assume you're talking about the upcoming Daybreak expansion for BSG? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/141648/battlestar-galactica-daybreak-expansion

DicedT

Yup. Do you mean the Forbes link is dead? Works for me.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: DicedT on April 22, 2013, 02:46:09 PM
Yup. Do you mean the Forbes link is dead? Works for me.

Actually, NOW it works for me. Weird.  ;D

I'm a bit mixed on this expansion. The first two had their good points, but also some real misses. I recently went through the box and pulled out a bunch of stuff that was just detracting from the overall game experience (at least it was for me and the friends I play with). They just keep adding fiddly little things that don't add a lot to the overall game and yet make it more complicated than it needs to be. Daybreak might be good, but I'm certainly going to wait and see.

DicedT

That's what I've heard from friends who have played Pegasus. The basic game is long enough, and two battlestars is overwhelming. One thing I should have mentioned is that they will have an option for adding that sewage ship (or whatever it was) that was in the last few episodes.

Michael

Arctic Blast

Quote from: DicedT on April 22, 2013, 03:00:47 PM
That's what I've heard from friends who have played Pegasus. The basic game is long enough, and two battlestars is overwhelming. One thing I should have mentioned is that they will have an option for adding that sewage ship (or whatever it was) that was in the last few episodes.

Michael

Haven't really had an issue with the two battlestars, but some of the other stuff just doesn't work well. Playable Cylon Leaders was a neat idea, but anyone choosing that role ends up playing almost a separate solo game because nobody else at the table trusts them. New Caprica as a new endgame isn't bad, but the board has a few spaces for each side that are so good that nobody moves around it that much. The Ionian Nebula endgame from Exodus is such a mess of new rules and bloat and nonsense that I have no interest in even attempting to teach anyone how to play it. And then you have little things like certain cards creating Reckless skill checks and extra things that can pop up on Crisis cards that we don't even do anymore...we just ignore the extra stuff and treat it as business as usual.

On the other hand, there is some great stuff from the existing expansions. The Pegasus is neat. The new cards are generally very good. The Cylon Fleet Board from Exodus is one of the best additions to any board game that I've ever seen.

bayonetbrant

I suppose one of these days I'll have to try out one of these-here BSG games, eh?

Loved the show, but haven't ever played the games...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 22, 2013, 03:41:36 PM
I suppose one of these days I'll have to try out one of these-here BSG games, eh?

Loved the show, but haven't ever played the games...

It's a great game, but you need 5 or 6 players for it to really shine.