Codemasters F1 2018

Started by JudgeDredd, September 27, 2018, 04:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I eventually finished a season in an F1 game - F1 2017. I wanted to complete it before I bought F1 2018 because I buy each game every year (since 2010?) and play half a season.

So I've purchased F1 2018...what's it like?

Superb! Simply fantastic. Everything about it is polished. The graphics are better. Sounds are improved. The new Halo system is implemented well and can be switched off if you want. The ERS is a pita to get used to - but it's a part of F1 now and I'm getting used to it and becoming a fan of it very quickly.

The new interview system seems pretty good. Some of your answers affect your presence in the paddock and some affect your team. For example, in one race, I said the downforce wasn't up to scratch and so my aerodynamics team suffered a % hit in morale and (I think) the cost of R&D for aerodynamics went up slightly (2%?). On another race I said something about the team (blamed them I believe) and my reputation with the team took a hit.

I had switched off Flashbacks (where you can replay the last 30 seconds and pick a point where you join the track...allowing you to take back those stupid mistakes). but I think I'll switch it back on because the game seems unfair with it's penalties. For example, I was hit up the arse by Hulkenberg and I got a 5 second stop go penalty!! I used Flashbacks extensively in F1 2017 and I promised I wouldn't use them in this one. That has resulted in me finishing practice only 5 minute in because I spun into a wall and wrecked my suspension and I also spun and wrecked my suspension on the 23rd lap of my 25 laps at Melbourne and broke my suspension again in Bahrain on lap 4...both times I ended the session becasue...well...that's what would happen.

The R&D has been setup better and I like the new layout.

The game is simply superb. 9/10. It would've been 10 if the AI issues were fixed...but they're still a bit dumb when you let them past when you're on an in lap. They are tough on track though. I've been toe to toe with several and lost a wee wing here and there.

If you're into F1 I couldn't recommend this game enough. It's the best iteration to date and gives a very good, overall, all encompassing F1 experience on the computer.
Alba gu' brath

joram

Never been good at driving games so I just play motorsports manager 3 on the ipad.  It's done from the team owner perspective so you can do R&D, manage drivers, and set strategy among other things.  Thats how I get my racing fix.

Grim.Reaper

I knew you would buy it sooner than later:)  I pre ordered and installed it, but strangely have yet to even play it:)  Bought a wheel last year so hoping when I get into the mood to actually play it.

Toonces

Ok, I might be in on this.  That is some seriously high praise. 

I think the last version I bought was 2015.  I never finished the season, but I got about a third to halfway.

Does 2018 have the old cars as well as the new?  The version I played had the old school F1 cars and I really enjoyed racing those.  By old school I mean like 80's.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2018, 05:19:29 PM
I knew you would buy it sooner than later:)  I pre ordered and installed it, but strangely have yet to even play it:)  Bought a wheel last year so hoping when I get into the mood to actually play it.
lol - like it was ever in doubt. But - I did at least wait until I had finished my season in F1 2017.

I figured rather than start a new season in F1 2017 and get F1 2018 when it was on sale and have to race those circuits again, I'd go straight to the new version.

Get that wheel connected and get out there.
Alba gu' brath

jomni

I never even finished my season. I'm not really into racing games. Is game pad support better? Got stuck in Monaco and figure I need a steering wheel.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on September 27, 2018, 08:56:22 PM
Ok, I might be in on this.  That is some seriously high praise. 

I think the last version I bought was 2015.  I never finished the season, but I got about a third to halfway.

Does 2018 have the old cars as well as the new?  The version I played had the old school F1 cars and I really enjoyed racing those.  By old school I mean like 80's.
It has even more this iteration. They have invitational events through the season where you may be in different cars to the others around you. They're done quite well - explaining that the new event is a showcase thing so they don't seem out of place. However, what they do that does piss me off is stick you on a track you may not be familiar with and this results in you having to perform it several times (if it's important for you to complete it successfully...you'll seldom be successful in your first attempt!)

Here's a list of the classic cars in the game
http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/07/revealed-the-full-list-of-f1-2018-classic-cars/

Some people may think the "interviews" are gimmicky. I don't. I feel it adds a bit of depth. So far (4 races in) the questions have been different enough for me to not notice any similarities.

I forgot to mention the wet weather effects. They are fantastic. I've had several races where the weather changes and it does it very well indeed. One race had dry weather, light rain, heavy rain, light rain and finished on dry and it was done extremely well...all seeming to blend through each phase. It looked very realistic. Also, grip was well modelled. Each tyre compound let you know when you were on the wrong tyre - including going from light rain to heavy. You didn't have to come in when it was heavy...but the track filled suitably with water over time that you had to come in for wets. The racing line also dries well and allows you to find that grip when it's raining. Go off that and you'll be sliding around like Bambi on ice.

Contrary to other seasons, I'm having some of my best fun in this game when the weather is mixed up...partly because I'm near the back anyway (Sauber) but mostly because it's fun to make the decision to switch.

Damage to the front wing will see you struggle for grip on those fast sweeping bends. Damage it further or take the wing off and you have no choice - you'll have to go in.

It's not perfect. A few things still have issues.

• Some of the Engineer stuff doesn't fit sometimes.
  • Damage model isn't great...not a huge amount of options - basically front wing light, medium, heavy and taking your front suspension out. That's all I've ever seen. Oh - and my engine failing entirely because I hadn't changed a component or two. But that's it. No punctures. I haven't seen a puncture ever. Which is actually better than one of the other ones (215? 2016?) where I couldn't escape a race without a puncture.
  • Repetitive speech is still there
  • Some stupid AI drivers - I'd like to see cars that you let by understand that you've let them past...perhaps tie it to the fact you've requested to box this lap...so any AI should overtake you and continue without both of you slowing to a crawl because you want to let them past and they don't think they should be going past - this only happens in practice and qualy by the way. I've never seen this AI behaviour in a race. They are very competitive.
  • Some dumb AI steward decisions.

But - as an F1 package - this is it. I'm a very happy bunny with my shiny, new F1 game
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on September 28, 2018, 12:47:24 AM
I never even finished my season. I'm not really into racing games. Is game pad support better? Got stuck in Monaco and figure I need a steering wheel.
I've never played with a gamepad.

I would struggle to believe the game was better with a game pad than with a steering wheel - and would always suggest a steering wheel. Steering wheels are quite costly - so being "into racing games" or at least "into driving games" is pretty important unless the cash is surplus around the house. I think my wheel was about £60-£80...I didn't go for one of the £150 - £300 ones.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 28, 2018, 12:15:06 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 27, 2018, 05:19:29 PM
lol - like it was ever in doubt. But - I did at least wait until I had finished my season in F1 2017.

I figured rather than start a new season in F1 2017 and get F1 2018 when it was on sale and have to race those circuits again, I'd go straight to the new version.

Get that wheel connected and get out there.

ep, just need to find the time and energy:).

even though i am not great at racing, dies look very good and since i bought it, certainly should play it:)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 28, 2018, 01:11:28 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 28, 2018, 12:47:24 AM
I've never played with a gamepad.

I would struggle to believe the game was better with a game pad than with a steering wheel - and would always suggest a steering wheel. Steering wheels are quite costly - so being "into racing games" or at least "into driving games" is pretty important unless the cash is surplus around the house. I think my wheel was about £60-£80...I didn't go for one of the £150 - £300 ones.

to be honest, i played all the past versions with game pad and really handled pretty well, better than i thought it would be.  but i did purchase a wheel since i could only imagine it getting better but crazily i have t used the wheel yet:)

JudgeDredd

I struggled all weekend at Baku. Ruined P1 going into the barrier. And P2 and P3. Because of lack of track time, Qualy went poorly with me qualifying 19th.

Round and round I went holding off some and picking up others - only to end it in the wall too early. My reputation with the team is going downhill and no-one else wants me
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero