Main Menu

Armored Brigade

Started by BradS62, October 11, 2017, 03:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: DennisS on October 23, 2018, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Veitikka on October 19, 2018, 08:34:30 PM
Quote from: DennisS on October 17, 2018, 02:46:42 PM
Thanks for this. Will this be a Steam game?

It's possible that the game will be on Steam later. Those who buy it from the Matrix store can use the same key for the Steam version.

You're a business. You want to maximize revenue, short term.  I get that.

But...you're shutting yourself out of many, MANY thousands of sales by not being on steam, including mine.

But I imagine their theory is that they will get enough sales to make it worth while in the short-term, and more importantly sales they don't have to do a rev share on. Then they can go to steam.

Saying that, Slitherine is not consistent atm with what games they launch on their own store only at first, and which games they launch all stores at once. I think it's down to how 'mainstream' they feel it is - perhaps they'd rather build up the support base of a game first before subjecting it to Steam's over-taxed algorithms.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

DennisS

Quote from: WargamerJoe on October 23, 2018, 10:14:18 AM
Quote from: DennisS on October 23, 2018, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: Veitikka on October 19, 2018, 08:34:30 PM
Quote from: DennisS on October 17, 2018, 02:46:42 PM
Thanks for this. Will this be a Steam game?

It's possible that the game will be on Steam later. Those who buy it from the Matrix store can use the same key for the Steam version.

You're a business. You want to maximize revenue, short term.  I get that.

But...you're shutting yourself out of many, MANY thousands of sales by not being on steam, including mine.

But I imagine their theory is that they will get enough sales to make it worth while in the short-term, and more importantly sales they don't have to do a rev share on. Then they can go to steam.

Saying that, Slitherine is not consistent atm with what games they launch on their own store only at first, and which games they launch all stores at once. I think it's down to how 'mainstream' they feel it is - perhaps they'd rather build up the support base of a game first before subjecting it to Steam's over-taxed algorithms.

This is my take as well. Hammer the grognards with full price sales, milk that puppy for all its worth, THEN go mass market with Steam. Plenty of first adopters that will pay full price, without giving Steam their share.

....aaaand this is completely within their rights as a business. Doesn't work for me, but that's also fine...I'll let others get the 1st couple of versions, and I'll wait for the patches and the DLC's.

Moreb

Well I'm a little concerned about the title being closer to Command Ops than I'd like. It seems that you are supposed to give orders to large formations and that the act of managing forces on a smaller scale is penalized with order delays. Maybe it's for balance reasons as the ai may not be able to achieve good results using similar methods? Maybe it's an intentional feature? Whatever it is, it's not something I was hoping for.

The hands off approach to CO never jived with me. I'm hoping this isn't more of the same.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Grim.Reaper

i am the opposite, hoping it is more like command ops.....prefer worrying about the bigger picture versus micro management.  either way, will be picking up to try whatever it turns out to be.

Moreb

I really want to like CO but it is too arcane and hands off. The former I can remedy, the latter is a shortcoming. Hopefully the penalties will be optional so I can reasonably fine tune things. A higher echelon ordering system would be fine as long as I can micro on the fly. The game zooms to individual AFV's for a tactical view of the situation. What's the point to do so then? To watch pixels shooting?

My idea game would would allow you to move a division/regiment/battalion. As it moves in along varied terrain it automatically keeps the proper formation, even up to jumping off points, and at any time I can zoom in to see, and interdict, the smaller formations while the rest of its larger parts keep executing as before.

Does that make any sense? I think AB does some of this. How well will remain to be seen.

Grim.Reaper

i dont know, don't recall command ops being that totally hands off...yes you don't micromanage, but still had a number of options for you to choose which still made me think at a commander level and be engaged.

i guess to each their own, we'll see how this game goes....

Moreb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 25, 2018, 08:57:24 PM
i dont know, don't recall command ops being that totally hands off...yes you don't micromanage, but still had a number of options for you to choose which still made me think at a commander level and be engaged.

i guess to each their own, we'll see how this game goes....

Yes we will and at this point I'm not on the fence. I'm already in the yard and playing fetch with the neighbors dog.

I just want something fresh. And some day I'd like for the hobby to catch up just a bit in both graphics and UI, the latter being the one most needing of an evolution. Such a pity that war games are sich a niche market. Could you imagine what might be possible with large resources? Paradox nearly fits the bill except they use those resources to complicate a game beyond any reasonable hope that an AI can navigate an ever increasing depth.

Give me semi complex, pretty, intuitive.

-budd-

You can give orders at any level you like in CO, of course the orders delay will be effected but you can just turn it off and micro at will without penalty. Sometimes you just don't want to order a bunch of counters around, and it's pretty sweet when a plan comes together. Still the best friendly AI in the business in my opinion which allows me to play larger scenarios somewhat competently and with CO2 the maps got bigger.

I'm hoping it plays like CO, and that there are different settings for orders delay. I am wondering about units independent reactions when under fire. That battle generator looks pretty sweet with all those settings, and all the order possibilities , it might just come down to how good the AI is, both friendly and opposing.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

jomni

Game is out. No one has it yet?

Grim.Reaper

have it, not enough time in it yet to fully comment.  from what i have seen, hasn't completely grabbed me yet.  just maybe not enough time to be fair. 

Jarhead0331

Wish it had a campaign...they are going to release campaigns as DLC, but would have been nice to have something right out of the gate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 17, 2018, 04:49:03 AM
Wish it had a campaign...they are going to release campaigns as DLC, but would have been nice to have something right out of the gate.

Agreed.  was a little higher priced $40) then I thought it would/should be with lacking something like that, plus no detailed tutorial from what I can see.  No multiplayer either, which for me is no big deal since I never play it, but still a missing feature that a lot of people like.  However, luckily I had my yearly Matrix coupon so only cost me $20 so even if it doesn't end up my favorite game, I am sure I'll get enough out of it eventually.

JasonPratt

Quote from: -budd- on October 25, 2018, 11:17:57 PM
You can give orders at any level you like in CO, of course the orders delay will be effected but you can just turn it off and micro at will without penalty.

In fact earlier this year, someone (on Steam) did a study of the COps2 engine and discovered that your units will work a little better with micro, due to less delay in passing the orders down. So aside from being a resource distribution node, the subordinate HQs provide less not more functionality!

There is some debate about whether this was intended, and if so how far; and about whether this is more or less realistic. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2018, 08:37:42 AM
Quote from: -budd- on October 25, 2018, 11:17:57 PM
You can give orders at any level you like in CO, of course the orders delay will be effected but you can just turn it off and micro at will without penalty.

In fact earlier this year, someone (on Steam) did a study of the COps2 engine and discovered that your units will work a little better with micro, due to less delay in passing the orders down. So aside from being a resource distribution node, the subordinate HQs provide less not more functionality!

There is some debate about whether this was intended, and if so how far; and about whether this is more or less realistic. ;)

Jason, you have a link to that study thing? I'd like to check it out.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Is a campaign supposed to be coming in the future?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd