Secretary Mattis resigns

Started by besilarius, December 20, 2018, 07:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/james-mattis-will-retire-as-secretary-of-defense-in-february-trump-says.html

Reminds me how Adolf got rid of generals, like Beck, who were willing to argue with him.
Sycophants to the fore.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

:o

Political commentary aside, this is.... actually, I guess it isn't too unexpected? Aside from the volatility at Trumpcourt, he has signaled a lot of intention to draw back hard on deployed forces. Mattis might not approve, or care to manage forces in that situation.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

HDIAndrew

I had seen Mattis' name in lists of administration figures expected to step down soon, but the timing was certainly clear

Toonces

I'm impressed he hung in there as long as he did.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Pete Dero

Sir Slash

Very sorry to hear this, Mattis is a great leader and patriot. I don't think this portends well for US Foreign Policy.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

trailrunner

I think Mattis was good.  He had a clear vision of how we should treat our allies and our adversaries, and he was decisive.  That was very refreshing.

I think the shift from asymmetrical warfare back to emphasizing our near peers (Russia and China) was also the right thing.

From my view inside the building working on major acquisition programs, he and his administration have had less of an effect.  I've been doing this for three decades now, and every time a new administration comes in, there are some small changes, but mostly it's business as usual with different buzzwords.  Mattis did coin the term "lethality at the speed of relevance." (I think I had to put that in my performance plan   #:-) )  Concurrently, there's been a shift to rapid acquisition; from my perspective, the acquisition programs are just using this to bypass scrutiny, regulations, and oversight, but we're still not acquiring anything faster.

Gusington

That must be some performance plan.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Quote from: Gusington on December 21, 2018, 01:08:37 PM
That must be some performance plan.
Better than mine which is "Fail Faster"

trailrunner

Next year when the new SecDef is in place, I'll have to update my plan with a new set of buzzwords that I can pretend to think are inspirational.

Con

JasonPratt

"SURVIVE HARDER!" (trademark registered)  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

"high velocity" anything is a sure winner.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

hollow shaped would be my input
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

GDS_Starfury

make loiter with intent great again!   :bd:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.