The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Now that I'm finally obtaining a (still tenuous) grasp on how to actually play the game, I'm really enjoying it. 

You how I'm a fan of the the developer's previous game Armada 2526?  Well in Oriental Empires, I'm seeing a return of everything I enjoyed in Armada:  Solid game design (including little to no feature creep), decent AI, and the mechanics & various gameplay systems working together in a way that I would almost describe as "elegant". 

Even better, I find the atmosphere is top-notch.  The music and visual style especially give the game a sense of immersion, but there are other things that add to this as well:  The technologies in your research screen are represented by cards, and the descriptions for each definitely have an "Eastern" feel to them.  The diplomacy screen also contributes to the immersion factor, although I've not gotten to use that very much yet. 

There's a lot more I could (and want to) say here, but I gotta go get ready for work.  Gah! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I am really looking forward to other nations like Korea, Japan, etc., to be added to the campaign.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Fanatical has all the Baldur's Gate versions on sale now along with a bunch of other RPG's.  73% Off the BG 'Complete' version. Great deal if you've never played it before.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Steam currently has Fortresscraft Evolved on sale for just under $5 (66% off). The Frozen Factory expansion, which adds a ton of content (and by now might as well be considered necessary), just over $5.

For right around $10 this is an absolute must-buy for anyone interested in sci-fi survival games (or maybe survival games in general), if you can get into the idea of designing your own monstrously huge automatic machine. (Factorio is similar but in 2D top-down not 3D, and each game has enough distinctives in the playstyle to warrant consideration.)

The only real drawback, aside from of course a small one-man(I think) design team but who keeps constantly at work smacking bugs and adding/balancing content, is that multiplayer has been very very rocky (and for many people, like me, completely impossible). A new attempt has been made as of this patch to address it, but I haven't been able to test mp improvements yet.

There have been many attempts now to succeed Minecraft, and this (which was developed from a MCmod once upon a time) stands up there with 7 Days to Die as one of the few true successes IMO.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bobarossa

Quote from: Greybriar on January 08, 2018, 10:52:24 AM
GOG.com is having a New Year's Resolutions sale on its games and you can get up to 90% off.

After buying 7 games over the holidays I saw that Cold Waters and Oriental Empires were on sale and I said "No, no, no!"  Then I checked today and saw the sale had ended and I'm still saying "NO, NO, NO!" but for a different reason.

Philippe

Jagged Alliance 2 Gold on Gamersgate for $1.00.

A perfect way to spend your blue coins.  You get Steam Keys for Jagged Alliance 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Tuna

Strange it says 1.00 when you click buy.. but in the cart it changes to 19.99

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tuna on January 14, 2018, 06:21:18 PM
Strange it says 1.00 when you click buy.. but in the cart it changes to 19.99

worked for me, and bought with coins...although strangely it said my order had to be manually reviewed which took an hour or so.....maybe they made a mistake:)

Jarhead0331

Angels Fall First 40% - $10.79.

Fantastic, well-supported game by a small indie studio.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/Angels_Fall_First/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2018, 04:00:51 PM
Angels Fall First 40% - $10.79.

Fantastic, well-supported game by a small indie studio.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/Angels_Fall_First/

I've eyed it for a while.
Is it going to be finished (fully developed) any time soon?

Staggerwing

Sounds like there are a couple of riffs from some of the Elder Scrolls themes playing during the vid.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.