What wargame did you try to get into, but gave up?

Started by Pzrjager, April 17, 2018, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Most RTS games. There have been a few exceptions, but RTS is not a style I'm very interested in.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mbar

Good grief. I own way too many that I wonder why I keep buying them so I'll start with the first three.

War in the Pacific AE  -  When I learned there was no production for the allies I lost interest.
Distant Worlds  -   So MANY alarms blaring and yet I've bought every expansion.
Operational Art of War III  -  Great game, great support from dev. Just bought IV with my anniversary discount.

I do wonder if I lack the intellect for games like these or if I just get bored. < SQUIRREL!! >

Tuna

Quote from: Tuna on April 18, 2018, 07:44:16 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 18, 2018, 06:50:30 AM
Any of the JTS games.... I love the idea of them but something about the execution just doesn't do it for me. And I've tried many times and even with Cyrano and panzerde who both love the games.
Tried the squad level stuff with advance of the Reich, operational stuff with Sicily and Normandy games.

I feel the same way with Pander Campaigns and the Squad ones  But I enjoyed the middle ground of the Pander Battles. I also enjoyed the one civil war game I have.

Played the heck out of East Front, West Front back in the day.

Darn I hate Autospell on the phone!!!

airboy

1] All shooters or other RTS games - they are not relaxing.

2] All flight sims - Lack the spaceial awareness to fly.  Weird, because I play two dimensional things well (pool, pinball) and can shoot moving targets.

3] Crusader Kings, Combat Mission 2nd generation stuff.

Pzrjager

Quote from: airboy on April 18, 2018, 08:34:07 AM

2] All flight sims - Lack the spaceial awareness to fly.  Weird, because I play two dimensional things well (pool, pinball) and can shoot moving targets.

I can't get into Paradox titles in general. I think politicking and dealing with economics isn't my thing. What are you playing on PC these days?

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on April 18, 2018, 06:31:52 AM
Europa Universalis...any of them

Same here, EU4, but also CK2...loved watching gameplay videos but actually playing the games just didn't click.  Hard to say why?

Dammit Carl!

I'm put off from RTSes in general as I:
1. Don't seem to have the required "twitch," skills to react accordingly to AI attacks.
2. Am convinced that the AI is cheating as I get hit by units that I sure as hell haven't had a chance to develop yet (okay, I'm grumbling at my lack of ability here, but still...)

Not hot on 4x games either as I find the whole "research and upgrade," thing to be a chore.

Sir Slash

I don't do RTS either, I'm a 'turn-based' whore. Despite that, I gave-up on the original TOAW as being too complex for my tastes--a rarity. Also Europa Universalis 1 & 2 as being too boring for me, and of course War in the Pacific because I have only one lifetime here on this Earth to play it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Pzrjager on April 18, 2018, 09:04:37 AM
Quote from: airboy on April 18, 2018, 08:34:07 AM

I can't get into Paradox titles in general. I think politicking and dealing with economics isn't my thing. What are you playing on PC these days?

I just got my new Falcon yesterday.  I'm trying to finish up two RPGs - Underrail & Pillars of Eternity.  I'm also playing PanzerKreig.

Gusington

How many of you who dislike RTS have tried Field of Glory 2? Quick pace but turn based, almost feels like an RTS but for grownups. It has moistened, nay...saturated, my gaming loins.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: bboyer66 on April 18, 2018, 07:50:26 AM
Hearts of Iron complete series: Terrible AI. Snowball effect where the more territory you take, the more powerful you become, allowing countries like Belgium and Hungary to take over the world.

Or Luxembourg.

Or Haiti.

Or Bhutan.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

The AAR of Haiti conquering the world is both hilarious, and sad for both Paradox and the Hearts of Iron engine.

sandman2575

A little surprised at how often Steel Division is showing up in this thread. I find SD a lot easier to manage than the other Eugen Wargame games.

CMANO for sure. Would love to be able to comprehend this. But I don't even know where to begin.

Scourge of War -- whether Am. Civ. War or Napoleon, just bounce hard off this whenever I try it.

ARMA 2 & 3 -- ditto

Europa Universalis -- of all Pdox games, the one that just does not click with me.

The Seven Years War -- buried beneath the atrocious UI and obscure mechanics, I have the feeling there's a really special game here -- but I just don't have the energy to figure it out.

jomni

Quote from: sandman2575 on April 18, 2018, 04:12:49 PM
A little surprised at how often Steel Division is showing up in this thread. I find SD a lot easier to manage than the other Eugen Wargame games.

It's slower but somehow you need to be more precise in your tactics to beat the AI.
I loved the Wargame series.

IICptMillerII

QuoteCMANO.  I still Fire it up occasionally but it feels a bit too much like work trying to set up missions, patrols, fuelling, etc.  It also needs a "sensors for dummies" section in the database to explain what certain a things are, what they do, how well they do it, etc.

I can understand this. When I first got the game I was a bit overwhelmed by the UI. However there is good news; there is very little micromanagement needed, and most missions, even complex ones can be set up pretty quickly. Unfortunately there aren't many good guides out there that I've found, but the game itself is pretty easy to figure out once you know a few things.

For example, setting up a combat air patrol is very easy. Set up a box of reference points, which you can do from the mission menu at the top. You simply click and drag the area you want the box to contain. Then just set up an AAW (anti-air warfare) mission and assign some ready planes to it. That's essentially all you have to do. There is more nuance you can get into, such as restricting certain weapon types, but thats the basics of it. Most other mission types can be set up in a similar fashion.

I would recommend playing around as a very strong faction against a weak one to learn the mechanics before challenging yourself.

As far as the equipment goes, every piece of weaponry, aircraft, ship, radar, etc are all hyperlinked to the database. The database page will give you a good idea of the capabilities of whatever it is you've clicked on. For example, if you have no idea what an AN/ANQ-54 is (I made this up off the top of my head) you can click the hyperlink to its database page. There is a lot of information on the database, but generally the important stuff is made obvious. It will tell you what type of sensor it is (lets say its a ground search radar) and it will tell you its range. For an aircraft, all of its weapons and sensors along with their capabilities are listed on their database page. You can always pause the game, so checking the database isn't nearly as much of a hassle as it may sound.

Once you get used to the basic controls, and start to understand some of the equipment you're using/are up against, things get a lot easier. View it as a bit of a study sim and you'll start to pick it up pretty quickly.