Main Menu

Through the Ages

Started by DennisS, March 27, 2018, 08:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

This is a new card driven strategy games, on Steam. On sale, 38% off for the next several days, at just under $10.

The game was developed by Vlaada Chvatil...one of my favorite games developers.

I have linked a two-hour long video on the game here below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ms4t1o1sHo

This is a board game port, and a very good one at that. Clean game dynamics, and the AI appears to be pretty solid. Here is a link to the board game on boardgamegeek...ranked as the third best boardgame of all time:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/182028/through-ages-new-story-civilization

Quill18 also has a nice let's play on this one. 95% review rating on Steam, with a small sample size (21).

I will be buying this here in about two minutes, and I will update this with my thoughts.

Any other players out there?

Geezer

Thanks for the heads up Dennis.  I watched the first Getting Started video by Vormithrax here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irAiDPGmOw and the game looks quite interesting.  Probably going to pick it up at that price soon myself.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

CJReich46

I think I've seen this on Google Play. But still maybe worth a look.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Geezer

Bought, and loaded it up.  Played through the tutorial.  It is quite extensive and seemed to cover everything.  The game is quite deep and with the randomness of the cards it looks to have a lot of replay value.  Graphics aren't great, but that's very subjective, and the play is what matters more to me anyway.  Looking forward to getting into it as it will move to the front of my never ending backlog.  :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on March 27, 2018, 03:59:28 PM
Bought, and loaded it up.  Played through the tutorial.  It is quite extensive and seemed to cover everything.  The game is quite deep and with the randomness of the cards it looks to have a lot of replay value.  Graphics aren't great, but that's very subjective, and the play is what matters more to me anyway.  Looking forward to getting into it as it will move to the front of my never ending backlog.  :)

I played the first game, against training quality opponents. Got beat, but didn't finish last.

Tremendous learning curve on strategies, but the card mechanic works brilliantly.

Very pleased with the purchase. The depth is crazy good...and I would cheerfully have payed triple the $9.91 for this one.

Vintage Dude

There is a review of this on Strategy Gamer.

www.strategygamer.com/reviews/through-the-ages-pc/

DennisS

Quote from: Vintage Dude on March 27, 2018, 09:31:29 PM
There is a review of this on Strategy Gamer.

www.strategygamer.com/reviews/through-the-ages-pc/

Thanks for sharing. Here's the money quote:

A game that invigorates with the pure, fierce joy of play that only very best board games can deliver.

DennisS

Tosh

Thx for the recommendation.
Played the tutorial and a casual game against a single tutorial opponent.
Watched the clock and it was 2:30 am.  :o
So far I very much like what I see.

Geezer

One thing I can't figure out is how to calculate an enemy empire's strength.  In my current game I keep increasing my military to play some military cards in the political phase once I have a stronger empire.  However every turn the AI jumps back ahead of me in strength even though I have a much bigger military.  I don't remember anything in the tutorial about what goes into the strength number.

Geezer

Lost my first game just now.  Could not figure out how to play aggression cards.  The game either said I was in the wrong phase or that I could only "show the card to my opponent".  Turns out that rather cryptic wording means you can play the card.  Might have won if I had figured that out.

Have the say the AI was quite good, at least against me playing my first game.  ;)

Edit - I also probably made a significant mistake on my last turn.  I should have picked the "Internet" wonder to keep my opponent from getting it.  I didn't think he had the resources to build it in one turn, but he did and that gave him a big boost in culture points.  Quite a challenging game and well worth $10.

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on March 28, 2018, 06:36:29 AM
Lost my first game just now.  Could not figure out how to play aggression cards.  The game either said I was in the wrong phase or that I could only "show the card to my opponent".  Turns out that rather cryptic wording means you can play the card.  Might have won if I had figured that out.

Have the say the AI was quite good, at least against me playing my first game.  ;)

Edit - I also probably made a significant mistake on my last turn.  I should have picked the "Internet" wonder to keep my opponent from getting it.  I didn't think he had the resources to build it in one turn, but he did and that gave him a big boost in culture points.  Quite a challenging game and well worth $10.

OK...here's a few tips on empire strength.

There is more to it than just the units. Joan of Arc gets "strength" points for some civilian buildings. Blue tactics cards get you military strength points. There are several other factors/wonders/single use cards that all serve to increase your military strength.

Fundamentally, if they have several cards in their hand, available for use in the political round, then they may also have these available to defend against your attacks.

Attacking isn't a bad thing, if it forces them to discard cards to defend.

If I have more strength than the weakest opponent, I will for sure gang up on them. Also....military alliances can work very well to keep the other civs at bay while you build up your infrastructure.

I have played three games, all against training-quality opponents. Got 199, 230, and 244 points in turn, with 4th, 3rd, and 2nd. The winner of this last match had Bill Gates for his leader, and somehow this game him another ten points at the very VERY end of game, otherwise i would have won.

DennisS

Quote from: Tosh on March 28, 2018, 02:13:32 AM
Thx for the recommendation.
Played the tutorial and a casual game against a single tutorial opponent.
Watched the clock and it was 2:30 am.  :o
So far I very much like what I see.

I am not playing several other, excellent games, while this one has me on the hook. Tremendous depth and strategy here.

Geezer

Thanks for the tips Dennis.  In my second game now and doing OK.  Actually won a war against the AI and took some of his tech points.  This game definitely has that "just one more turn" feel to it.   :)

Geezer

Managed to win my second game against a lone easy AI opponent.  I scored 185 and beat him by 32.  Not great, but a win is a win.   ;)