Chapter Master - An Interstellar Army Simulator 2015 Mod

Started by Jarhead0331, January 15, 2018, 03:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Has anybody here heard of or played either Interstellar Army Simulator 2015 or its primary mod, Chapter Master? Yeah...me neither. Until today.

This is a little gem of a game that has so much unrealized potential, its painful. Apparently, the game actually started as Chapter Master, a very detailed simulator where the player takes on the role of a Space Marine Chapter Master and must manage his chapter in 4x style across the stars. There is management of fleets, companies, equipment, relics, diplomacy, etc. You can choose a founding chapter, existing chapter, or even make your own custom chapter, selecting a number of strengths, weaknesses and perks.

The game was incomplete when the developer started getting harassed by Games Workshop legal with cease and desists and threats to pursue legal action. He tried converting the game into a more generic system with high moddability, hence the name "Interstellar Army Simulator", but GW was still relentless and development was dropped.

Anyway, there is still a lot to explore here despite missing features and some place holder graphics and lack of some functionality.

Check out these screenshots from game set-up and early game menus. I'll post some battle screenshots later if anybody is still interested. If these menu captures don't give you a Titan-sized hard-on, you're a heretic or foul xenos.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

Looks awesome, but I can't imagine anyone thinking they could publish something like that without GW approval.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Where are all the 40k fans? This is of interest to nobody, but me and geezer? I'm shocked.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

spelk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 16, 2018, 07:31:19 AM
Where are all the 40k fans? This is of interest to nobody, but me and geezer? I'm shocked.

I'm interested! Although I can't say I have the energy for a titan sized hard on anymore. :)

Had a quick squizz around for info on it, seems theres a big thread on Bay12Games forums (the Dwarf Fortress lot) - lots of discussion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142620.0

Like a sports manager but for Space Marines? Count me in...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: spelk on January 16, 2018, 08:31:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 16, 2018, 07:31:19 AM

I'm interested! Although I can't say I have the energy for a titan sized hard on anymore. :)

Had a quick squizz around for info on it, seems theres a big thread on Bay12Games forums (the Dwarf Fortress lot) - lots of discussion.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142620.0

Like a sports manager but for Space Marines? Count me in...

Yeah...its a 241 page thread. LoL. I plan to get through it all eventually...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I feel a Titan sized something or other. Has development totally stopped? Where can I pick this up? A better idea than cease and desist would have been to buy the game, hire the developer and give him some more resources to really flesh this out. Looks like it would be The Serious Game that WH40K could really benefit from.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Does look good, I am with Gus instead of desist they should look to invest....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2018, 09:44:46 AM
I feel a Titan sized something or other. Has development totally stopped? Where can I pick this up? A better idea than cease and desist would have been to buy the game, hire the developer and give him some more resources to really flesh this out. Looks like it would be The Serious Game that WH40K could really benefit from.

Yes. My understanding is that development is utterly dead.

Download and how to install:

1. Download and extract Interstellar army simulator 2015 - www.mediafire.com/download/iupmztig4a9d055/Interstellar_Army_Simulator_2015.zip
2. Download Chapter Master mod - www.mediafire.com/download/1bz5u0t0vhh5uuu/chapter+master+mod+40k.zip
3. Download and extract Chapter Master full game - docs.google.com/uc?id=0B78B253ukf3TQ182OEhRTFBha1k&export=download
4. Copy from the full game (download from step 3.) the Launcher (a small blue beakie) into the Interstelar army simulator 2015 file, and extract Chapter Madter mod (download from step2) into the Interstelar army simulator 2015.
5. Start game from blue beakie icon

Read more: http://thealfalegion.proboards.com/thread/2344/chapter-master-game-discussion-help#ixzz54MleFrAf

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

I've searched for it in the past, but had hard time finding the original WH40K version.

So, kudos to you JH for the thread!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

This looks VERY cool.  Much more inspiring than just putting a WH40K skin on Panzer Corps! (although if that keeps 'em in pay, they should do it)

Too bad it got halted.  I would think one could just tweak some of the language a little and still have a pretty compelling game, but not if  you've spent all your development money on legal fees.

Tpek

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2018, 03:37:05 PM

The game was incomplete when the developer started getting harassed by Games Workshop legal with cease and desists and threats to pursue legal action. He tried converting the game into a more generic system with high moddability, hence the name "Interstellar Army Simulator", but GW was still relentless and development was dropped.

Sounds like the GW I know.

It's obvious a company has done wrong when the best thing to happen to one of it's big product lines (Warhammer Fantasy) was when that company stopped developing it, and handed over creative license to many others.

Just highlights how poorly that entertainment company has been run for so long.  Sprinkle in excessive threats against it's fan base, and we have GW. 

Tpek

^Their deal with Fantasy Flight Games (who produced the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K LCGs for them, alongside the RPGs and several board games) has been cut as well.
The GW management really has a weird way of doing business.

Geezer

I think the Warhammer Conquest card game is good fun.  Was sorry to see the plug get pulled on that.  I don't fault GW for wanting to protect their IP but some of their moves are certainly head scratchers.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw