Avengers: Infinity War

Started by mirth, July 15, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

MovieBob thinks it isn't as good as Av1 (...maybe not?) or Black Panther (Bob has drunk too much Kool-Aid):

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

An exhausted and more sober review from Stuckmann.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JudgeDredd

I went to see it last night (midnight) - I'm shagged but it was worth it. Best one yet imo.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

Glad as hell to hear it Dredd. It's finally A-Day here in the States.  :D    Seeing it tonight and will post some thoughts late.  8)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

OK. I'm just back and WHAT-A-MOVIE!!!  Who knew Peter Parker was Tony Stark's illegitimate son by a fling with Bruce Banner's sister who turns-out to be the She Hulk? That makes Peter the Iron Spider Hulk and damn can he climb a wall now! And why didn't we know this movie was really a musical where everybody sings their parts? And who knew Drax was a soprano?------ NOT REALLY. Just yankin' your chains guys.  :2funny:

Seriously I have to agree with Dredd, this one is better than the original. I know, Sacrilege right? It has all the things that make a great movie in it, very funny, very sad at times, great fight scenes, lots of action but with a flow to the movie that doesn't seem too fast or too slow. Great special effects, you might consider 3D, and a fantastic battle at the end. For a film that has this many characters in it they all get an important part to play and fit in with each other well. The only one that I thought seemed a little bad was Star Lord who tried to be a bit too funny and flipped out too much in some scenes.

I won't give anything away but a couple of the characters who get the axe are kind of predictable but... I guarantee you won't see this ending coming. Look for an old villain making a brief appearance and a popular actor from Game of Thrones playing as a Giant Dwarf. Plus a single end scene that hints at a major new Marvel Super Hero to come. This one is clearly a two-parter so expect a punch in the head ending that will lead to a conclusion next film. And just to be clear, the language and violence has been kicked-up a notch in this one so think about it before you take your kids to see it.

Altogether a great movie and an epic last stand for the Avengers. I'd give it a 9.5 outta 10.

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Capn Darwin

It was good. Very good. The next one should be awesome as well.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 26, 2018, 10:50:15 PM
OK. I'm just back and WHAT-A-MOVIE!!!  Who knew Peter Parker was Tony Stark's illegitimate son by a fling with Bruce Banner's sister who turns-out to be the She Hulk? That makes Peter the Iron Spider Hulk and damn can he climb a wall now! And why didn't we know this movie was really a musical where everybody sings their parts? And who knew Drax was a soprano?------ NOT REALLY. Just yankin' your chains guys.  :2funny:

Seriously I have to agree with Dredd, this one is better than the original. I know, Sacrilege right? It has all the things that make a great movie in it, very funny, very sad at times, great fight scenes, lots of action but with a flow to the movie that doesn't seem too fast or too slow. Great special effects, you might consider 3D, and a fantastic battle at the end. For a film that has this many characters in it they all get an important part to play and fit in with each other well. The only one that I thought seemed a little bad was Star Lord who tried to be a bit too funny and flipped out too much in some scenes.

I won't give anything away but a couple of the characters who get the axe are kind of predictable but... I guarantee you won't see this ending coming. Look for an old villain making a brief appearance and a popular actor from Game of Thrones playing as a Giant Dwarf. Plus a single end scene that hints at a major new Marvel Super Hero to come. This one is clearly a two-parter so expect a punch in the head ending that will lead to a conclusion next film. And just to be clear, the language and violence has been kicked-up a notch in this one so think about it before you take your kids to see it.

Altogether a great movie and an epic last stand for the Avengers. I'd give it a 9.5 outta 10.
Now I'm a bit awake....

I concur with all of this except Star Lord. I can see why you might come to that conclusion but imo it was Star Lord....it was just him. Like I said, I can see why you get that - from an "avnegres" movie perspective, it probably was too much humour, but from Star Lord's perspective, it was spot on - it was exactly how he was in the GotG movies.

The film was all over the place - in a good way - locations, characters, baddies - and yet you never lost. You were never left thinking "What was that about?" or "Why did that happen". Everything - EVERYTHING - just seemed to make sense.

There were too many highlights to list and they would be too spoilerish anyway - but Cap's entrance left the hairs on the back of my neck standing up...but I do love the Cap.

I'll put this wee bit down here - it's not a huge spoiler - but you may not want to see this until you've seen the movie.
[spoiler]Also - the film makes such a fantastic job of portraying all these little group fights and jumping around that whilst you don't forget the plot - "Thanos is a bad guy and wants the Infinity Stones" - you do forget the the over arching plot[/spoiler]

You know...DC put what, 5? 6? characters into Justice League and everyone was saying there were too much and not enough flesh etc, etc...there are a HUGE amount of characters in this film. You felt for every single one of them and they all made sense and they all gelled. I hate the DC/Marvel battle - but it hits a chord with me because I knew nothing about the vast majority of the Marvel characters and knew most everything about the DC films and so it makes me mad what's going on with the DC movies and why they're so piss poor.

The film was honestly astounding. A masterpiece. I don't like the cinema but I can see me going to see this a few times more.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

I should have added that after Ragnarok, Hela was my all-time favorite villain. Not anymore. Thanos is the new King. Marvel has always made their heroes human and thus sympathetic so you quickly come to like them and want to see them succeed. Now with Thanos you don't want him to win but they do make him into a very complex, troubled character that's not just out to rule the Universe for himself. An excellent job.

I didn't hate Star Lord's part but he seemed to fit less comfortably into the whole mix I'll say. There's of course a reason he's flipped-out but he didn't seem to be the cool, wise-crack sneak he was in the GotG. Just me.

Staggerwing

Careful with any unintentional spoilers guys. Some of us can't just drop all our shit and race into the theater tomorrow. We may need a few more days so keep the good stuff under yer hats.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 27, 2018, 07:25:14 PM
Careful with any unintentional spoilers guys. Some of us can't just drop all our shit and race into the theater tomorrow. We may need a few more days so keep the good stuff under yer hats.

+1,000,000

You guys have been fairly good thus far but then again I've not been reading the posts here carefully. :)

Centurion40

Except for the three jabbering ankle-biters sitting behind me that caused a deep rage that almost provoked me to physical violence, the movie was outstanding.

I couldn't stay through the credits as the lack of thundering screen noise made the incessant jabbering so loud that I would have punched the selfish asshole parents for bringing their pre-school kids to a night time movie.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Sir Slash

Now that's a good review! And no spoilers.  :clap:

Centurion40

Thanks. It was from the heart.

Although I'd love to discuss the movie's spoiler moments....
Any time is a good time for pie.

JasonPratt

Fraternally Anticipated Questions (...except my brother saw it with me so I guess that title doesn't quite fit this time):

DID YOU SEE IT TWICE TODAY?

I did.

WOW! ...ON PURPOSE?!

Kind of.

...THAT SEEMS LIKE YOU DIDN'T MEAN TO SEE IT TWICE?

That's hard to answer. I went to Jackson intending to see it twice, though not necessarily the second time today. My brother turned out to be going to a later showing, which I didn't know about until I was almost there, so I just stayed and saw it twice.

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO MENTION, WHY?

After seeing it the first time I wouldn't have intentionally seen it twice, I think. Or not so soon.

WHA?! IS THE MOVIE TOTAL TRASH!?

No, no, it has some plot convenient problems here and there, but it's better than, let's see, Last Jedi, Justice League, Dawn of Justice, Man of Steel, Godzilla 14, The Dark Knight Rises. It's really a very good movie. But not one I felt like experiencing again any time soon.

ALL THE DEATHS?

Not really. The film is just bleak. That's appropriate, but it's a lot darker than, let's say, Empire Strikes Back. I fully expect any deaths to be selectively unmade at a later date.

ARE YOU GOING TO SPOIL WHO DIES?

No. Test me on this.

WAS PALPATINE RIGHT?

Of course not: he was space Hitler. #PalpatineDidEverythingWrong

DID THE AVENGERS DIE?

No.

... ...... THAT SOUNDED AWFULLY BLUNT. AND SPOILERY!

It was blunt. And cryptic.

DID ANY OF THE DEATHS SURPRISE YOU?

Actually yes, several of them did.

SO THERE _ARE_ MULTIPLE DEATHS!

At this point that shouldn't be a spoiler. I already said I expect any deaths to be walked back later.

BUT THERE'S A LOT OF BUTT-KICKING AT LEAST?!

Yes and no.

BUT THE HULK KICKS A LOT OF BUTT, RIGHT!?

This might be an opportune time to mention that the trailers are flat-out lying to your face in regards to some things.

...WHAT?! YOU MEAN IN REGARD TO THE HULK!?

Any inferences you draw from my remark are yours to make, but are not necessarily correct. Because I am sneaky.

WOULD YOU GIVE ANY EXAMPLES ABOUT TRAILERS LYING TO OUR FACES?

Thanos does not punch anyone with a moon.

SO THANOS IS NERFED!??

In some ways it's consistent, in other ways it's inconsistent. The "reality stone", for example, most of the time just produces illusions, except when it conveniently doesn't, even in cases when it would make sense to not be illusionary. Also, Thanos' intentions are quite different from the original comics, and while (I admit) the change is dramatically superior it quickly makes no sense, or even anti-sense, for his intentions, methods, and goals, to line up.

COULD THE PLOT BE FORESTALLED BY VARIOUS METHODS WHICH DUMBLY DO NOT HAPPEN?

Yes, a number of times. Generally, however, people on each side don't act as mind-bogglingly retarded as in The Last Jedi, which I'm mentioning because one or two popular internet reviewers have wryly expressed the opinion that if people give this a pass and not TLJ then that's only due to x-isms or something. Those reviewers have been drinking too much Kool-Aid recently.

COMPARE AND CONTRAST INFINITY WAR AND TLJ FOR THE SAKE OF INSTRUCTING THOSE FOOLS! -- BUT WITHOUT SPOILERS, AS A CHALLENGE!

Super-easy, barely an inconvenience. At no time does the plot require both sides to each be acting dumber than the other; fundamental respect is shown for the intellectual property and the material that came before; there are no characters who hypocritically disrespect their underlings for style and plot convenience; one third of the film is not a side-plot that goes nowhere and accomplishes less than nothing for the sake of making asinine socio-political jabs that don't fit the universe of the story; beloved heroes are not rewritten for dumb reasons to act wildly out of character to subvert and spit on your expectations; the finale is not a trick that couldn't have accomplished what the film pretends it could have accomplished; new characters are not invented who, for no good reasons other than to gaslight the audience into accepting how much better they are than the older characters upon which the franchise was based, magically act superior--

OKAY, JEEZ, ENOUGH ALREADY, NEVER MIND!

That was not a question.

WHO WILL BE THE NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA?

Captain America.

...OH, HA HA HA HA.

And/or no one.

HA HA HA HA -- WAIT.

Both answers are correct.

IS THERE ANY REASON TO WATCH BLACK PANTHER FIRST IF WE HAVEN'T DONE SO ALREADY?

No. Aside from introducing some characters in more detail, nothing in that film's plot affects this film's story in any way. Which is probably just as well since that film's plot was a barely coherent mess, by far the worst of the Marvel films so far.

THAAAAT'S RACIST!

Keep telling yourself that. It's rolling in giant piles of money anyway, so I'm sure it can stand the criticism. Actually, someone who hasn't seen BP yet will think one character is an honored noble ally of t'Challa's team, when really this person is kind of a villain. Gets some good little scenes, tho. We also learn in this film that Wakanda is a place where no one needs to bow to the king; while the prior film tells us Wakanda is a place where the king's right to rule is decided purely by who wins death-fight challenges. Wakanda is an inconsistent place. But to be fair, that's true to the comics canon.

THAAAAAT'S MORE LIKE A REVIEW OF BLACK PANTHER THAN INFINITY WAR! ...DO GUYS WITH CLOAKS LINE UP TO CREATE FORCEFIELDS WITH THEIR CLOAKS AND BE USEFUL BY STAYING IN FORMATION THAT WAY IN ORDER TO DEFEAT THE HORDE OF ALIEN KILLER MONSTERS WITH SUPERIOR TACTICS?! PLEASE SAY YES!!

No.

AWWWW.... WAR RHINOS!?

No war rhinos were killed in making this movie.

HOW USEFUL IS HAWKEYE IN THIS FILM?!

He is not. Take that as you will.

WHAT ABOUT ANT-MAN?! THERE HAS BEEN A SUSPICIOUS LACK OF HIM IN TRAILERS SO FAR!

I'm pretty sure Ant-Man is the key to everything.

SO ANT-MAN SURVIVES!

The upcoming Ant-Man and Wasp film trailers agree with you.

ARE THERE ANY SURPRISE CHARACTERS WHO SHOW UP UNEXPECTEDLY!?

Darth Maul does not show up in this film.

HA HA HA HA!

I mention this because some whippersnappers behind me blurted out at one point, "Omigod, omigod, that's Darth Maul! Darth Maul's in this film!"

HA HA HA HA HA -- WAIT, WHAT?!

He is not. Do not be misled about this.

HUH. SEE, THE REASON WE'RE ASKING, IS BECAUSE WE HEARD A RUMOR THAT THE RED SKULL SHOWS UP IN AS A SURPRISE CAMEO, AND COME TO THINK OF IT YOUR ANSWER SORT OF --

Hugo Weaving, alas, is absent from this film. That would have admittedly been cool. He stated he kind of loathes having played that character, though, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

AWWW... HE WAS ONE OF THE BEST VILLAINS.

Indeed.

ARE THE VILLAINS GOOD IN THIS MOVIE?!

No. They are villainous.

WELL, DUH, BUT --

Who think they are the heroes. They serve their purposes well. Well enough that I want to look up the actors behind the mo-cap: some of them sounded familiar.

LIKE THE RED SKULL!

No.

AWWW....

You've already heard Thanos is well-acted and well-written. This is true -- except so far as I noted earlier, where his new intention doesn't mesh up properly with his goals and methods.

WILL WE BE SEEING HIM AGAIN?!

"Thanos Will Return", as the final credit.

END/MID CREDIT SEQUENCES?!

Only one, at the very end. The timing of the scene is a little off, but I understand the need for proper dramatic effect. It does suggest what the next film is going to be. Although I would have thought Ant-Man would be next. But possibly not? I really don't know the release slate for the next year. Or when Av4 will be released come to think of it.

DOES AV-4 NEED TO HAPPEN SOON?

As soon as feasibly possible, yes. When the producers said they changed their minds about making a two-part film, they were basically lying. This is not a standalone film, and (looping back to my starting topic in a nice chiasm) this might explain my current ambivalence about it. It's very incomplete in itself. The audience at both screenings sat in confused and I think kind-of annoyed silence throughout the end credits. Listening to conversations after the showings, I would not be surprised if word-of-mouth started tanking the film hard after opening weekend. I hope not, but we'll see. The producers, writers, and directors (mostly the Russo Brothers and Kevin Feige, although Jon Favereau is also one of the executive producers) will only have themselves to blame if that happens. I respect the gambles they are taking, as a type of artistic dare. But they might just have screwed themselves over, too: this is reportedly the second-most-expensive film ever made (by some metrics), and after all there needs to be a profit for business to continue.