Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

Gus, there is an in-game Encyclopedia, but it provides virtually no specific details around game mechanics.  It mentions some stuff that matters, but doesn't give any insight into the weighting of six different factors that might affect something.

UCG, those are fair questions!  I was playing as The Empire.  The only faction I'd declared war on (besides the Secessionists, who are just there as opening-game fodder) was the buttheads to the North, whom the tutorial hints I should declare war on.

I think I also picked a fight with one of the minor Orc factions who was menacing my Southern flank, but between me and the Dwarves, we eliminated him fairly quickly.  I made sure never to have more than one war going with an actual faction at a time, and I bided my time before starting a war with anybody so I could hit pretty hard.

However, I had Beastman armies come rampaging at me from the South (through a province I had built a Fortress in, so they just moved further inland and started looting another fortress) and, ten turns later, from the East.  I guess nobody's attacked me from the West (which are all mountains), so I should be thankful for that.   ;D

Is there a wave of Beastman attacks that just wash over the land and then die down after I hunt them out of existence?  I got the impression that they were just a recurring nuisance and needed to be dealt with whenever.

To be fair, I enjoy the land battles.  I'm just getting my ass kicked on the Campaign map.

Sir Slash

Right. I played as Carcassone and was surprised to find my faction at war with the Wood Elves. Being a good follower of Brother Tolkien, I assumed they were good guys but no, they attacked me with abandon so I had to go beat the sap out of the Tree-Huggers and only THEN found-out I couldn't capture their settlements. The only option for my faction was to Raze their settlements. Now not being able to control certain factions cities is OK with me, even refreshingly different, but I wish I had known that before I lost half my army fighting them. And I don't see anything telling me why. In fact there's no info about settlements available other than what buildings are there and the garrison size. How many people or whatever live there? What race are they, culture or allegiance?

Anyway that's about when the Beastmen showed-up there too. Hordes of them. So I ran back home and hid-out until they passed by-- like the Huns in Barbarian Invasion. Now I don't know what to do or where I can expand to. So, I'm thinking about it while I'm playing as Britonnia.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

OH Hell! I'm dead!  :o   That didn't take long to screw the pooch in this campaign. Ten turns. After pushing south with 2 full armies and winning a Decisive but costly victory against the Greenskins, then razing their settlement, The Bastard Marienbergers hit me with 2 full armies of their own totally wiping-out my forces and leaving fair Britonnia completely at the mercy of the Merchant-Bastards. Sir Slash died like a true Grog-- swinging his sword with one hand and drinking Scotch with the other.  :bd:   Not to worry though. I have cast a Holy Replay Spell on him and he shall RISE AGAIN.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 18, 2018, 10:23:48 AM
I can't decide if I'm in love with this game or it's just a 'Winter Thing'. I've only gotten as far as Warhammer 1 without most of the DLC and it's clearly a lot different than any other TW I've played. It's very polished with new and exciting factions and ways to play and win. The AI is very good this time and the world itself is more interesting than the historical TW's. Who doesn't get excited by playing with Giants, Zombies, Dragons and Minotaurs?

But somehow the uniqueness comes with a whole lot of extra stuff to learn and know, not just the Warhammer lore, which I don't know zip about but all the 'shielded' vs armored vs Giant vs Fear vs Flying vs on and on and on. This might be the first TW that's too complex for me to play and I hate that because for so long I've DREAMED of a TW that had more depth and challenge. I feel like to go to Warhammer 2, I'll have to take a couple of PhD courses to play effectively. Still on the fence but... it's a lovely fence and the view is great from up here. My 2 cents.

Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2018, 10:39:11 AM
Get a hold of yourself!

:2funny:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's funny because pretty much that's what the game's been doing to me.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 19, 2018, 03:22:15 PM
That's funny because pretty much that's what the game's been doing to me.

TWW1 had it's way with me the first couple times I tried a Greenskins campaign.

It's obviously a serial abuser.  :cowboy:

Toonces

Wow, 10 turns?  That's pretty bad, bruh.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Bad but not my worst. I once destroyed 4 Japanese bombers at Pearl Harbor in IL-2. I was flying a Zero though.  #:-)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

What difficulty are you guys playing on?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

Normal for me though the Dwarves are listed as 'Easy'. I don't mess with the difficulity level usually.

Nefaro

Quote from: solops on January 20, 2018, 07:51:52 PM
What difficulty are you guys playing on?

Normal. 

At least on the campaign map.  If I want to push difficulty up, I'll go into the detailed campaign settings and just push the battle difficulty slider up at first.  Would rather the AI got some stat bonuses in battles, rather than get big income & build bonuses on the campaign map.  Otherwise I'm constantly outnumbered, along with getting dogpiled per usual, there.

I imagine the preference will also depend on the faction I'm playing.  For example, the AI may not be good enough to get fast flanking units around to the rear of the player's lines in a coordinated manner.  So if I'm playing a tough & bashy Dwarf faction, whose only major weakness is it's speed & the resulting need to defend it's flanks and rear from fast movers, then I'd consider pushing it difficulty up in one or both. 

The campaign can be pretty challenging in TWW, however, so starting off at 'Normal' is recommended.  Especially when you're getting acquainted with a new faction.  :coolsmiley:

Nefaro

Been salivating over the Tomb Kings faction.  Buckled like a belt when I saw the DLC for 20% Off at Fanatical.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/total-war-warhammer-ii-rise-of-the-tomb-kings

Fantasy Egyptian-ish themed mummy sorcerers and their big ass magical necromantic constructs?  Arm requires little twisting.  I'm so weak.  :dreamer:

Gusington

^I've got the package deal in my cart right now for TW: Warhammer II and the Tomb Kings for 59.99 but that still feels high to me. I think I should wait until I at least finish one TW: Warhammer campaign finished, eh?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd