Grigsby's "Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich" gets a version 1.03

Started by JasonPratt, February 06, 2018, 05:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

From Muso, of the Matrix Games Staff:

Quote from: MusoGary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich has been updated to version v1.03.

This new version brings tons of improvements and changes, making this classic masterpiece better than ever.

We would like to thank everyone involved with this update!

You can download it from here.

Some highlights from the changelog (scroll downto read the full list of changes)

⦁ Turn replay feature now fixed to allow both players the ability to review messages and combat results over and over before continuing to the next turn, especially helpful in pbem games.
⦁ Overhauled Production System User Interface. Added priority buttons and filters for aircraft type. Added "Weapon Database" menu bar to Production screen. Also changed how research works.
⦁ Added missions, sorties, fatigue and "days since last mission" columns to squadron information screens.
⦁ Added a sort button for the units to sort by unit ID.
⦁ Added ability to bring up "Unit Detail" screen by clicking squadron info button twice in "List Air Unit" and "Order of Battle" screens.
⦁ Added filters for displaying unique aircraft types (fighter, fighter bomber, jets, etc.) on several info screens.
⦁ Modified aircraft graphics to be more proportionally realistic during Action Phase.
⦁ Modified over 70 map locations to more geographically accurate locations
⦁ New map graphics
⦁ Added Production and PBEM instructional PDF's
⦁ Lots of minor bug fixes

Changelog - v1.03
Performance note - As operating systems have evolved, many people have reported a significant drop in performance and some other DirectX related problems while playing Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich in fullscreen mode. To help address some of these issues, this update will automatically be installed in Windows 7 compatibility mode. To further increase performance, either play the game with the "windowed mode" option on, or use a 3rd party full screen emulator like DXWnd. You must first remove all compatibility settings to run the game DXWnd. To do this you should run DXWnd in "expert mode" and "clear the compatibility flags" from the "Tools" menu.

Changes
o Overhauled Production System User Interface. Added priority buttons and filters for aircraft type. Added "Weapon Database" menu bar to Production screen. Also changed how research works (See production system write-up in the "Manuals" folder.)
o Added "highlight airfields with units" button to Defender's reaction phase side menu.
o Reduced priority of multi-engine aircraft production.
o Changed the unit upgrade message to show the old AC type as well.
o Added minimum CH chances for increased damage CH and one-shot-kill CH.
o Added code to limit units to one strafe attack per mission.
o Added missions, sorties, fatigue and "days since last mission" columns to squadron information screens.
o Added a sort button for the units to sort by unit ID.
o Added ability to bring up "Unit Detail" screen by clicking squadron info button twice in "List Air Unit" and "Order of Battle" screens.
o Added filters for displaying unique aircraft types (fighter, fighter bomber, jets, etc.) on several info screens.
o Added historical pilots and leader names to RCAF and other units. Modified the P-61 endurance and allowed rockets to some Typhoon standard load outs (see details in "November 2017 OOB changes" document.)
o Modified aircraft graphics to be more proportionally realistic during Action Phase.
o Added roundels for RCAF, RAAF, and RNZAF aircraft.
o Modified over 70 map locations to more geographically accurate locations (i.e Bitburg, Munster, Rostock, etc.)
o New Map Graphics courtesy of George Ross' awesome visibility mod.
o Added Production and PBEM instructional PDF's

Fixes
o Fixed replay crash and wrong aircraft graphic bug.
o Fixed wrong anthem playing for victorious nationality.
o Found a bug in the AI prod routine that may have caused too many new AC to be built when the old type was needed.
o Fixed a minor error in the loading of buttons. o The "toggle on/off following units" button in Action Phase reversed to now read correctly.
o Fixed a few other minor issues that may have caused CTD's in the past.

Wait, the German anthem played if the Allies won?? That's hilarious!

The patchlink he's talking about is here: http://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Gary%20Grigsbys%20Eagle%20Day%20to%20the%20Bombing%20of%20the%20Reich/EagleDaytotheBombingoftheReich-UpdateComp-v1.03.zip
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

Rats, beat me to posting! Too busy to play now, but I will test this out ASAP.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 07, 2018, 12:44:20 AM
How is this game?
Is it a good air war sim?

Good... but... detailed and tedious. Only venture into this if you really are up
to the task.

jamus34

Well I mean that's a Grigsby game in a nutshell.

My question is does this patch make it run better? Major knock I've heard on the game that even on modern hardware it slogs along.
Insert witty comment here.