Finally! A Board Game Table!

Started by bbmike, January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Taking inspiration from this thread that GJK posted on how he created his table, I decided to finally build my own. If found this table on Amazon for $87.00. Not the highest quality but not too bad either. I didn't want to refinish anything and my wife wanted a nice desk to use for work that matched the existing decor. Luckily, the top was not glued on and I only had to remove some screws to detach it. I bought a 1/2" 2'x4' oak plywood board to make the bottom out of for $14.00. I also bought a bag of alignment pins for the top (about $8.00) so I could line it up easier when putting it back on. The alignment pins also keep the top in place when the table is used as a regular desk. I cut the bottom to fit and applied some iron on black laminate to the edges to make it look a little more finished. So, for a little less than $120, I have a nice (but small) gaming table! The usable playing area is about 42"x21.5" and it's about 2.75" deep. I won't be playing anything big on it but at least it fits in my small, 100 year old row house. I might look at reprinting some of the larger game boards to see if I can make them fit.

I plan to finish the bottom of the table soon. I have an extra Pro Matz galactic map that I was going to line the bottom with but I'm not sure that I want to cut it down. I do have some extra green felt and foam board that I can use instead so I might do that.

Here are some pictures:

Taking off the table top.

The assembled, brand new game table! (kind of hard to see but the top is leaning against the hutch)

The table with the top on.

I can't wait to finally set up a game and play! Those poor cats will have no way to destroy my board and counters.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

Outf'ing standing!  That came out really good!  I like the way the bottom (light color) looks in that dark wood so I don't know that I'd put anything permanent down to be honest.  If you need something to lay down so that a map won't slide around, we use these for ASL maps (with plexi on top of it all): https://www.walmart.com/ip/38055921

You could cut a few pieces to fit and use them when needed.

Great job!  Pretty easy to do, huh?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM
I didn't want to refinish anything and my wife wanted a nice desk to use for work that matched the existing decor.

Uh...so how is this a gaming desk again?  :P

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Great job!  O0

Did you stain or clear coat the inside playing surface?

bbmike

Thanks, everyone!

Quote from: Barthheart on January 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Great job!  O0

No, but that's not a bad idea.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 07:16:17 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Quote from: Barthheart on January 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM
Great job!  O0

No, but that's not a bad idea.

Clear coat or Varathane will help keep the dice dents outta the surface.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Cyrano

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

Soon we can start a thread entitled "What's inside your table?".  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Quote from: GJK on January 26, 2017, 10:48:38 PM
Soon we can start a thread entitled "What's inside your table?".  :)

Kinky.

Crossroads

Fabulous stuff!  :clap:

Quote from: bbmike on January 26, 2017, 03:39:39 PM

I can't wait to finally set up a game and play! Those poor cats will have no way to destroy my board and counters.  8)

So you'd think. Where there is a cat there is a way  ;D
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY