New historical content. Total War Historical team - HINTs from DEV team

Started by Destraex, November 05, 2017, 12:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Perhaps I should look at the time of day for this scenario and gamma. They look fine zoomed in though. Not dark at all.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: Nefaro on November 09, 2017, 08:33:32 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 09, 2017, 05:05:41 PM
Tell me if you can recognise your troops when you zoom out. A screenshot would be great.
Seeing two masses of undefined black mobs is not exciting to me.

Why are your screenshots so dark for a midday battle with few clouds?

Something looks off. 

I'm not saying the TW engine isn't a bright ray of sunshine (along with numerous others I could mention), but I don't recall my Rome 2 being so dark.   ???

My monitor is fairly bright.
Whats more annoying I now know on closer inspection once the battle starts and things are moving is that when zoomed out the units shimmer like stars twinkling.

P.S. There is no option for shadows off

Yskonyn

The twinkling probably is 'Bloom' and AFAIK you can turn that off in the game's options.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

My settings are on the previous page. Although I am playing with the shadow settings. I am pretty sure bloom is off already. But I did try turning all of that stuff on and off and it made no difference. Perhaps its just my old PC that the game has decided to compensate for. I have an old 3570k and a 970 graphics card. If I got a newer CPU I bet the game would fill out and add more of the polygons more at range.

Destraex

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?637346-Some-findings-about-model-s-level-of-detail/page3

This video uses cheat engine to modify the memory to allow better LOD. I think it's basically my problem. Draw Distances are the real enemy.
When the game first released it looked nice. But people complained of poor performance so they patched the game. Since then it's looked horrible, units flicker at any reasonable command zoom distances except almost point blank distance. To me it's like an epileptic night mare. I cannot identify my units without flags turned on and I cannot see whats going on without zooming very closely. A better CPU might fix the problem. But looking around the net I am certainly not the only one that thinks this engine is horrible for graphics.

THe modding community seem to think in general rome2 is bad at drawing models. Perhaps they will fix it for the expansion.
"Welcome to Rome 2 Total War, the most historically accurate glitch simulator ever made!
Sorry dude, this game models are simply badly designed, there is no way to get a decent result. You could try to work on some rigid_model using a hex editor, changing the LOD settings, but it would be just a waste of time."
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?734354-LOD-clipping-on-unit-models

p.s. Atilla is a great improvment. Characters do not flicker and I get 44FPS instead of the 60FPS with settings at full.

Destraex

Just played the BETA patch for rome2. It makes it a little better. THe shimmering/flickering is mostly gone. But the LOD draw distance still makes it hard to play. THat is unless I want to play by icons rather than enjoying watching the units.

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on November 09, 2017, 11:11:26 PM
Perhaps I should look at the time of day for this scenario and gamma. They look fine zoomed in though. Not dark at all.

The later TWs all have a color filter of some sort. 

The one in Rome 2 is a light brown color AFAICT.  I think there used to be a mod that removed it, but I'm not sure if it's up-to-date or how effective it is at doing so.

I commented on the darkness of yours because it looks notably darker than mine.   ???