Main Menu

WOFF goes WW2

Started by jomni, November 27, 2017, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Quote from: RyanE on November 28, 2017, 11:42:09 AM
Unless campaigns rate above graphics, damage model, scenario building, feel of flight, and few other odds and ends[multiplayer], I still think ROF is the better choice.  Plus it is getting a version 2 on DX11 that should set above even more on the graphics scale.

This is my view too - though that version 2 I'm pretty sure will be a standalone game, ie you'll have to "re-purchase".

RyanE

I think the way to look at the new WW1 sim is that it's IL-2 BOS in WW1, versus ROF 2.  Otherwise, disappointment will ensue.

Grim.Reaper

I wouldn't remotely consider myself an expert flight simmer, nor do I know a lot about the physical setup and control of fighter...just a casual fan who likes to dabble in them as I can.  I originally started out with ROF, it was fun at the start and at the time the graphics were outstanding.  But not being a multi-player myself, plus was not a fan of having to purchase all the separate planes, quickly lost interest. 

Found WOFF and played it more than any other flight sim in recent times.....I much rather be immersed into a dynamic campaign versus graphics, flight models, etc.  Heck, I am not smart enough to know how these planes are supposed to fly so I have no idea what I might be missing, nor is that aspect of the game most critical to me.  Even though ROF has better graphics, I think WOFF is absolutely adequate and I have no issue with them.  Do I wish it was based on a newer engine and not CSF3, absolutely...but with latest version I don't have to reference those installs.  Could the UI be better?  Sure, but its very functional for me...don't recall ROF being overly superior, although it has been a long time since I tried it.

So for me, it has everything I need at the moment.....

- Included planes, don't have to purchase separate - check
- Single player focused - check
- Dynamic campaign and fun - check
- Quick battles and such - check
- Looks good enough - check
- AI seems competent - check
- Lots of configuration options - check
- Reasonable cost - check
- Still being updated and supported - devs say they plan to keep at it after WW2 releases - check

I understand other more hard core simmers might be put off if the damage models/flight models aren't as good, but those things I would never notice if I didn't read about them in a forum.  At the end of the day I was very happy with ROF at the start and I am happy with WOFF now.....I'll certainly check out the new version of ROF when released and who knows it might change my mind.

Toonces

Well, the thing is, we're not talking about life-changing money for these sims.  You can try RoF for free, and WoFF has a pretty low cost of entry all things considered.

If fact, given that there are really only two (three if you count Thirdwire, which I haven't played) WW1 sims, if you're a WW1 flight sim enthusiast the decision to just grab both isn't that hard.

I personally prefer WoFF for all the reasons Grim mentioned, but that didn't stop me from investing quite a bit in RoF as well.  I simply don't have enough time to play both a lot, and I tend to prefer single player to MP most times, which makes the decision easier.

Both sims have there merits; there really is no reason to try to figure which is better.  This is one time when it really does pay to get both and enjoy each for what it is (IMO).
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on November 27, 2017, 06:53:25 PM
Sorry about the weird link. But this came from their newsletter.
WW2 in the works.

http://nk3i.mjt.lu/nl2/nk3i/vom.html?m=AEsAAIytHdAAAAFQ6YoAAAEL91YAAAAAjg8AADMeAAnIQgBaHKJprWxb16fGR5ir11DRROzwNQAJQ-Y&b=ca11ecb1&e=50c02f8b&x=zXCZEaGk_r6NzwjIVXnKJS_Hk2ioiNJqKWdE1InC2Q8

Hurricanes are going to get over the "Reich"?  I like Hurricanes, but I don't think they are likely to be getting any farther than say Antwerp or Malta or Greece.  I think P-40s over Palmyra would be more interesting (but that's never going to happen in the gamey world).

Staggerwing

Maybe there's a few BOB missions at the beginning? Also, there were Hurris in the Battle of France, IIRC.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 28, 2017, 09:04:41 PM
Maybe there's a few BOB missions at the beginning? Also, there were Hurris in the Battle of France, IIRC.

Right Yes, notoriously.  Spitfires were only released to go over France at Dunkirk.  So some Hurricanes could have gotten as far as say Aachen.

Currently for Hurricanes you can fly those in CloD.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 28, 2017, 07:28:27 PM
I wouldn't remotely consider myself an expert flight simmer, nor do I know a lot about the physical setup and control of fighter...just a casual fan who likes to dabble in them as I can.  I originally started out with ROF, it was fun at the start and at the time the graphics were outstanding.  But not being a multi-player myself, plus was not a fan of having to purchase all the separate planes, quickly lost interest. 

Found WOFF and played it more than any other flight sim in recent times.....I much rather be immersed into a dynamic campaign versus graphics, flight models, etc.  Heck, I am not smart enough to know how these planes are supposed to fly so I have no idea what I might be missing, nor is that aspect of the game most critical to me.  Even though ROF has better graphics, I think WOFF is absolutely adequate and I have no issue with them.  Do I wish it was based on a newer engine and not CSF3, absolutely...but with latest version I don't have to reference those installs.  Could the UI be better?  Sure, but its very functional for me...don't recall ROF being overly superior, although it has been a long time since I tried it.

So for me, it has everything I need at the moment.....

- Included planes, don't have to purchase separate - check
- Single player focused - check
- Dynamic campaign and fun - check
- Quick battles and such - check
- Looks good enough - check
- AI seems competent - check
- Lots of configuration options - check
- Reasonable cost - check
- Still being updated and supported - devs say they plan to keep at it after WW2 releases - check

I understand other more hard core simmers might be put off if the damage models/flight models aren't as good, but those things I would never notice if I didn't read about them in a forum.  At the end of the day I was very happy with ROF at the start and I am happy with WOFF now.....I'll certainly check out the new version of ROF when released and who knows it might change my mind.

Yes, yes! A thousand times yes!

WOFF is by far the superior game, if not the superior simulation. I've spent hundreds on both sims, and WOFF beats ROF hands down in playing experience.

RyanE

As I pointed out earlier, between WOFF and ROF, it depends on what you are looking for.  I am not a campaign player.  I like flying and building historical/sandbox scenarios. 

Gusington

Grim's post sums it up for me as well - I just have never had the time that WOFF deserves. Looking in getting the latest version of it and really seriously attempting to learn. It's been a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on November 29, 2017, 09:14:49 AM
Grim's post sums it up for me as well - I just have never had the time that WOFF deserves. Looking in getting the latest version of it and really seriously attempting to learn. It's been a while.

Think the sale is only until end of month, although developer was considering extending into December.

Another game I enjoyed was Thirdwire's WW1 flight sim....enjoyed that one too but of course they aren't really supporting that anymore.  Nice to have options.

Gusington

I need a dynamic WWI campaign badly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd