Main Menu

Goodbye CDs

Started by mirth, February 05, 2018, 12:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I have to admit- the apertures for the surveillance gear is well camouflaged. It's behind the, um 'eyes'... right?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Wes

Laugh if you want to guys but physical media has been on the rise again since around 2010. Us older guys know how much of a headache it is maintaining and carrying this stuff around but the millennials are all about it.

Vinyl sales doubled in the UK last year. I just moved back to an area I haven't been shopping in for nearly 20 years and the corporate places are gone but the mom and pops are doing fine and expanding. Books, vinyl, cds, vhs, dvds, audio cassettes...they are still going. And all the new stuff being made. We do live in interesting times.

And all my cds with the exception of one (which I think was bad from the word go) all work fine.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

BanzaiCat

I won't disparage it. I've been wanting to buy a record player for some time. I like browsing through the vinyl at Half Price Books; it's like a random treasure hunt.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Nah. I never buy any. I just like scanning through them really quick.

I have exactly one vinyl album to my name right now...I've had it since high school, when I had a record player/dual cassette deck player in my room. No idea why I've kept it this long.

bbmike

Bah! True audiophiles still use Edison's wax cylinders! You kids and your vinyl.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

You got me there, grandpa. :P

Pete Dero

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 13, 2018, 07:45:03 AM
I won't disparage it. I've been wanting to buy a record player for some time. I like browsing through the vinyl at Half Price Books; it's like a random treasure hunt.

After some testing I must conclude that for use in a car a cd player is a better option than a record player.

BanzaiCat

Wes

I always think of this when listening to why kids want the old stuff:

Amen
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Staggerwing

I still have a crap-load of vinyl records in my shed. I've been afraid to check on them, fearing that all their covers have melted together due to the elements. Unfortunately I have no room for them indoors and those sleeves are probably allergen-bombs after all those years. One of these years I'll buy a modern turntable and start the triage.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

jamus34

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 13, 2018, 08:41:20 PM
I still have a crap-load of vinyl records in my shed. I've been afraid to check on them, fearing that all their covers have melted together due to the elements. Unfortunately I have no room for them indoors and those sleeves are probably allergen-bombs after all those years. One of these years I'll buy a modern turntable and start the triage.

Shed???

Best guess is the sleeves are mold bombs and the vinyl is warped to all hell.
Insert witty comment here.

Staggerwing

Very probably, but the shed is elevated and reasonably dry, the albums are stored packed together, and their previous home for 15 years was a drafty garage. They survived the latter and if it wasn't for the shed I'd not have been able to keep them at all when I moved. I've only enough room for my maker gear, computers, and wargames/books. To bring the albums inside would have required getting rid of some of the others.