Zombie wargames?

Started by DicedT, September 25, 2012, 04:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I'm compiling a list of zombie wargames, board and computer (I'm guessing that most of what we would call wargames would be paper).

I know Mark Walker has a couple that qualify. Any others? I'm wondering if there are enough wargames to really justify a list.

Michael

Jack Nastyface

The DayZ mod for Arma II is highly regarded.
The zombie mode in Call of Duty became as popular as the game itself.
Most obscure title I can think is "Typing of the Dead" - a typing tutor game where zombies came at you wearing shirts with T-shirts with words showing on the front, and you had to type the word in order to kill 'em dead.
And of course Zombies! game http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2471/zombies remains one of the most popular titles in the genre, and has expanded to include many additional modules and playing tokens (zombie dogs, zombie clowns, glow-in-the-dark zombies)

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but at least I can get my kids to play Zombies! on occasion.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

DicedT

Thanks, Jack. But are those wargames as grogs know them? Is there a zombie wargame genre? There is a fair number of SF games, so not every wargame is historical. But have hard-core wargames tackled zombiedom? Doesn't seem that way.

Michael

LongBlade

Quote from: DicedT on September 25, 2012, 06:25:46 PM
Thanks, Jack. But are those wargames as grogs know them? Is there a zombie wargame genre? There is a fair number of SF games, so not every wargame is historical. But have hard-core wargames tackled zombiedom? Doesn't seem that way.

Michael

Mark Walker has published a few. All Things Zombie springs to mind. Nuclear Winter 68 might qualify - not sure of the exact fluff.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

There is always the miniature wargame All Things Zombie from Two Hour Wargames.

http://www.twohourwargames.com/all-things-zombie.html
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

eyebiter

SPI Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Board game adaption of the shopping mall found in the Romero movie.

Yaquinto Attack of the Mutants (1981)
Game features Radioactive Mutants, but they are very similar to zombies.

There is a boardgame called Zombies! that has a dozen supplements.  They even sell glow in the dark plastic zombies.
http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/en/boardgames/zombies.html

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 25, 2012, 09:18:46 PM
Plants vs Zombies?

Heh.

Technically a tower defense game, not wargame.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Not a wargame per se, but Dead State will revolve around survival, gathering survivors, keeping them fed, exploration, gathering weapons, fending off rival groups, and keeping the morale of your group up. I supported it through Kickstarter and am eagerly awaiting it's transition from Vaporware to my computer  :)

bayonetbrant

here's a quick search on BGG with "zombie" and "wargame" checked
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers