Main Menu

WW2 shooters

Started by acctingman, September 06, 2018, 08:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Greetings folks

I've played a few zombie shooters with some of my friends and quite enjoyed myself, so I thought I'd ask the professionals here which WW2 shooters they liked best.

Appreciate your input.

jomni

Brothers in arms is tops...
Then there's Hidden and dangerous

Gusington

I am fond of the Sniper Elite series if single player is your thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

jomni

Oh and how can I forget Red Orchestra 2

JasonPratt

Quote from: jomni on September 06, 2018, 10:26:53 AM
Brothers in arms is tops...

Agreed, but it runs a little assy nowadays.

Quote from: acctingman on September 06, 2018, 08:51:53 AM
Greetings folks
I've played a few zombie shooters with some of my friends and quite enjoyed myself, so I thought I'd ask the professionals here which WW2 shooters they liked best.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/301640/Zombie_Army_Trilogy/

Four player WW2 zombie co-op, based on the Sniper Elite engine. Pricey when not on sale (a 4-pack runs $135, single $45), but often goes deeeeeeeep discounts during seasonal sales.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: acctingman on September 06, 2018, 08:51:53 AM
Greetings folks

Appreciate your input.

Was it left for dead you played? If so then I would probably look at space hulk deathwing and vermintide 1 or 2. They are similar but one is sci fi and one is fantasy. Sorry they are not ww2. But I don't really know of any ww2 squad co-op vs AI shooters. Their are some very old ones like hidden and dangerous 2. May as suggested above Iron Front Liberation jacked into ARMA3.

But if you can stand playing against people then I would say Post Scriptum for ww2. You have to be aware though that you do have to co-operate with the people in the server. They will expect it and so expect you to speak to them  and give or take orders. If you and your friends create their own squad then you will probably find it's mostly coop between yourselves though.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

(Come to think of it, why aren't there any WW2 4-player co-ops yet? -- uh, I mean other than the Zombie Nazi Trilogy which doesn't really count... Seems like money to be printed there.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

-budd-

The Wolfenstein games are World War Two-ish
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Dammit Carl!

Hmmm...this could be a tall order.

Would say that the Red Orchestra series (RO2 & Rising Storm) is a pretty good intro to things; the action is bloody and quick and it gives a pretty damn good intro to teamwork in terms of taking a point, holding a point and working with others.  On some maps, you get to incorporate vehicles.  On most maps, though, its all about infantry and infantry tactics.  And if online isn't your thing, then you can fight against bots to hone your tactics and get used to the weaponry.

Day of Infamy builds off of the Insurgency game base and puts it into the WW2 format.  Much like RO2/RS, you take points, etc.  However, it is much more "brutal," in terms of getting shot and shot damage effects (in my opinion).  Also, maps aren't that big per se but they are very busy with lots of angles and places to shoot from and be shot from.  And again, if online isn't your bag, bots can fill spots.

Both of these games let you pick which classes/roles to play - i.e. "Soldier," "Sniper," etc. - and those classes determine what weapons you use.  Warning: if playing online, you'll probably never get the "sniper," role as those poopsocking scumsuckers hover that spot up almost immediately. 

For a "rail," type shooter, you've got CoD:World at War.  Visually it's pretty nice and it gives plenty of action.  It also has online capacity, but I've never used it so no opinions to offer here.  Bog standard CoD fare if you ask me.

I'll stop there as I think RO2/RS &/or Day of Infamy is a good starting point with games that are moderately modern in terms of graphics, gameplay and so on that are also multiplayer capable but that are also reasonably cheap at this point in time on Steam and which have some semblance of an online player base to work with.

When you get tired of those, then it's time to jump down the Arma rabbit hole!

W8taminute

If you're looking for a go to WW2 game as part of your daily diet then look at Heroes and Generals.  It's a free to play (not pay to win) WW2 FPS with some RPG elements tacked on.  If you can get past the fact that you have a lot of grinding to do to level up your characters this game will keep you hooked unlike your standard shooters where you play for a while, get bored, and then look for another shooter to play.

I've clocked in over 1250 hours according to my Steam profile and I'm not bored yet!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I came back to the thread specifically to remember H&G. If you've got a good multi-person team, you can dominate hard in the early maps and level up quickly I should think.

Geezer

One H&G reviewer on Steam had a lot of bad things to say about it and gave it a thumbs down.  Then I noticed he had over 1500 hours played?!  That boggles the mind.   :timeout:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 07, 2018, 02:11:57 PM
I came back to the thread specifically to remember H&G. If you've got a good multi-person team, you can dominate hard in the early maps and level up quickly I should think.

Yes you can.  Discord is definitely your friend in this game.   :)

Quote from: Geezer on September 07, 2018, 02:53:18 PM
One H&G reviewer on Steam had a lot of bad things to say about it and gave it a thumbs down.  Then I noticed he had over 1500 hours played?!  That boggles the mind.   :timeout:

That's probably because he is a die hard fan that is remembering what the game was like when it first came out.  He's probably sore about some aspect of the most recent patch.  The thing with this game is to not take it so seriously and enjoy it for what it is.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk