Tanks!

Started by bayonetbrant, February 18, 2013, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

those blow up really nicely!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 11, 2017, 07:31:18 PM
those blow up really nicely!

What, all three or four of them?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

It's true that the M4 had a shit-load of shortcomings. It's primary virtue was quantity. It's secondary virtue was reliability and repairability, force-multiplying it's first virtue.

The same can be said for the T-34, though it was also a great tank in a "Waaagh!"-kind of way.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Its also likely that the M4 would have had a greater impact if more vehicles armed with the 17pdr / 76.2mm gun had been available.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 12, 2017, 06:57:56 PM
It's true that the M4 had a shit-load of shortcomings. It's primary virtue was quantity. It's secondary virtue was reliability and repairability, force-multiplying it's first virtue.

I always learned that the US never build tanks to fight tanks but mainly as an infantry support vehicle.

In theory when US tanks spotted enemy tanks they should rely on artillery or air support to defeat them.
Because of the bad weather in the early fases of the Battle of the Bulge, making air support impossible, the M4's had to be used in a real tank role and they showed their shortcomings.
When the weather cleared the fight was over.

The firefly (17 pdr gun) could take out most german tanks but remained very vulnerable as it still lacked the necessary armor to survive even a frontal 88mm hit.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 13, 2017, 06:23:07 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on September 12, 2017, 06:57:56 PM

I always learned that the US never build tanks to fight tanks but mainly as an infantry support vehicle.

If you look at the history of US armor, that was true up until the end of WWII.  After that we started building tanks as standalone tanks - the M26, M48, M60, etc. The M41 was an aberration at the time, and the M551 was one of the dumbest ideas ever (hey, the Russians have an air-dropped tank; we need one too!)

Ironically, the next 'big' war where we deployed a lot of armor - Vietnam - was one where single tanks got parceled out as infantry support a lot.

After that, it's been tanks designed to fight in armor / mounted formations, which has forced the Marines to adapt to a less-than-ideal vehicle for the way they distribute tanks to their tank platoons.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

mirth

Wait until the Martians kick their asses.

Barthheart

Le sigh..... their tanks can't work on Mars... not enough oxygen to have the fuel burn, or the crew breath.  :P
It gets to -100F at night... in the summer... at the equator... diesel fuel jells at -1 F.
etc. etc.
#:-)

mirth

Still better conditions than Russia in winter.

mirth

QuoteBritish M3 Grant in Burma 1944-45

mirth

QuoteSurrendered Jagdtigers in Iserlohn, Germany 1945