GETTYSBURG: THE TIDE TURNS releases at last this Thursday

Started by JasonPratt, July 11, 2017, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

Quote from: Barthheart on July 17, 2017, 12:01:56 PM
LOL! I think he meant save the combat chit not the game.

If you mean me, then yes I was referring to saving the combat chit and using it later in a turn.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

OK a patch dropped late yesterday to ix some things... and seems to have broken others....  :buck2:

QuoteVersion 1.03 patchnotes:

- Fixed AI freeze during advance
- Fix rally bug for units during Turn 13
- Clicking on reinforcement icon now properly centers the camera
- Zoom to mouse position
- Live PBEM

Seems like good stuff.... except the reinforcement centering works.. oddly... even overriding where I've click on a currently on map unit to snap to the reinforcement location... :idiot2:

The calendar, located under the Menu button, now correctly shows what happens each turn including when you get what reinforcements AND who has initiative on each turn... which now points out why I, as the Union player, have never been able to choose when to use my combat chit.... the Union NEVER gets initiative in the Campaign.. NEVER!  :timeout:

Also Cavalry units, now, are not able to move next to ANY enemy unit to attack them not even artillery standing out in the open... alone... you know... the perfect cavalry target!  #:-)

I'll have to shelve this game until there seriously wok out the bugs... too bad 'cause it sure is pretty... and actually got me to play ACW game...  :(

JasonPratt

I am totally failing to understand the point to having cavalry in this game at all, even before the patch. Other than "there was cav at Gettysburg" so we need to have it. Cav doesn't charge anything; doesn't interdict supply (of which there is none); there is no fog of war so they aren't useful for scouting; you can't use them as very fast infantry, to run up somewhere, dismount and shoot; there are no map points accruing VPs to run up and grab early.... You can't even effectively use them as a quick response defense.

The hard fact is that cavalry doesn't fit into the game mechanics. Or not very well. I'm honestly glad the Rebs don't have any to speak of on the first day!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Yeah, I decided to just refund the game while I still had a chance (89 mins played). It has a unique engine, but the engine doesn't really fit the combat or maybe vice versa. I may rebuy if the dev team assigned by Matrixlitherine manages to haxor the game engine into providing a better experience, but until then, no.

(This is aside from the prevalent number of bugs on release day.)

Anguille

I agree that the lack of FOW is disturbing in the Civil War. This was a huge factor back then and made the use of cavalry so important.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Anguille on July 21, 2017, 06:17:53 AM
I agree that the lack of FOW is disturbing in the Civil War. This was a huge factor back then and made the use of cavalry so important.

I can understand it from a boardgame perspective. That wouldn't be a gamebreaker for me. BUT IT SURE DOESN'T HELP THE CAVALRY BE LESS USELESS!!  :knuppel2:

panzerde

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 06:12:10 AM
Yeah, I decided to just refund the game while I still had a chance (89 mins played). It has a unique engine, but the engine doesn't really fit the combat or maybe vice versa. I may rebuy if the dev team assigned by Matrixlitherine manages to haxor the game engine into providing a better experience, but until then, no.

(This is aside from the prevalent number of bugs on release day.)

I gave it a shot. Even setting aside the bugs (game simply stopped playing during a CSA AI phase), the game has nothing to do with ACW combat. It looks great. Has a very kriegsspiel appearance. But nothing about how it plays emulates anything about ACW combat. Ultimate General is a much better choice for anyone looking for a light ACW game - just be sure to pause when giving orders.

Definitely refunding this one. Matrix/Slitherine need to bury the remains of Shenandoah and move on.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on July 20, 2017, 09:09:41 PM

I'll have to shelve this game until there seriously wok out the bugs... too bad 'cause it sure is pretty... and actually got me to play ACW game...  :(

Nah, you didn't. You played a half-finished generic wargame on a really nice map of Gettysburg.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

GJK

Not at that scale (Gettysburg) once all parties had arrived; Lee and Meade knew exactly what who had what and where. 

No cav charges unless Napoleon has trained them.

I would hope that they have Buford's division as the first stumbling block that the Rebs run into on Day 1.  After that, the only other possible action for Cav at this battle was running Stuart around the flanks of the Union as had been intended.

You boys must be hurtin' for some good PC gaming, it took a look of all of 5 minutes to realize that this game was going to be a dog.  You all been chattering about it for 5 pages worth.  :D
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bardolph

Quote from: GJK on July 23, 2017, 07:53:40 AM

Not at that scale (Gettysburg) once all parties had arrived; Lee and Meade knew exactly what who had what and where. 

So, mid-afternoon July 3rd or so?   ;D

JasonPratt

^ And thanks to, um, those newfangled cav al ree things?

GJK

Quote from: Bardolph on July 24, 2017, 02:04:44 AM
Quote from: GJK on July 23, 2017, 07:53:40 AM

So, mid-afternoon July 3rd or so?   ;D

Sure.  Lee had him outnumbered in the center and as planned, JEB was to hit the flank/rear while Pickett's fresh division hit the center (you know all this already).  The arty barrage had little/no effect and Pickett was mauled crossing the large field and JEB...well, he was one of those 'new fangled cav al ree things' that didn't do their job.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Slick Wilhelm

Wow, for $10 I'm surprised at all the cynicism. It's certainly no "Scourge of War:Gettysburg", but I don't think it pretends to be, either. For what it is, it's pretty good, IMO. 

JasonPratt

I'll probably rebuy some time once the bugs are ironed out, and the cav are given something useful to do.