Going to bag me Target for Today

Started by JudgeDredd, July 05, 2017, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I want the upgraded version of B-17 Queen of the Skies - it's due in the UK some point soon...I've got my eyes peeled!  :))
Alba gu' brath

DennisS

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 05, 2017, 06:57:10 AM
I want the upgraded version of B-17 Queen of the Skies - it's due in the UK some point soon...I've got my eyes peeled!  :))

Will this be available stateside soon, or strictly UK?

Barthheart

Target for Today is available in the US as far as I know. Lots of pics and AARs on BGG.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was going to pick it up but after reading a few AARs on BGG, it seemed to me that there wasn't really a lot of player choice involved.  It was mostly just telling a story through rolls on charts and tables.  Is this the case?

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2017, 04:56:21 PM
I was going to pick it up but after reading a few AARs on BGG, it seemed to me that there wasn't really a lot of player choice involved.  It was mostly just telling a story through rolls on charts and tables.  Is this the case?

Like B-17 QotS, yes.

JudgeDredd

I've just been told my copy is in. £60 + £3 delivery.

I know I didn't "get on" with QotS - but I'm a sucker for punishment and I would like to try again from a story perspective. Also - the new production values got me moist.
Alba gu' brath

ArizonaTank

I generally don't like the idea of a "story generator" with minimal decision making...  Still, I bought Target for Today, and am having a good time with it.  Kind of like watching a movie. 

However, in TfT you do have choices to make at some junctures. Fire allocation is one big area.  But also some others:

For example in a game I played, the Right Waist Gunner was hit by a round from an FW-190...took his leg.  The fuel transfer pumps were also destroyed, so the B-17 didn't have enough fuel to get back to England.  So I had to make the decision to either have the crew bail-out and lose the waist gunner who couldn't jump, or ditch the B-17 in the English channel.  I chose to give the gunner a chance and ditch.  It did not really work out well, while the crew was rescued, most of them were badly injured in the landing.  The waist gunner died in hospital.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

Just ordered it from Limey Yank Games for £60 + £3 delivery. Bargain.  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

And it's on it's way. Great service from LimeyYankGames
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 12:12:46 PM
And it's on it's way. Great service from LimeyYankGames

Is that the only place you guys can get wargames from NA without paying the extra protection fees/VAT?  Or does the store pay it when they import, and pass that cost on?

JudgeDredd

I honestly do not know. My buying practices online are very limited.

I think I found out about this place from bob. The other places I can shop are BoardGameExtras and BoardGameGuru. Apart from that, I don't really know of anywhere. I try looking online, but often get frustrated with their very, very shabby, 1990s websites with very limited searching options.

I have also bought from BGG from a couple of UK suppliers

I don't have a lot of experience of buying board games.

Also - there's no shops around me that do war board games
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 21, 2017, 05:22:04 AM
Look what came today   ^-^

The Board Game Geek page has a table you can download to generate crew names, ages and state where they are from.  It adds some nice "flavor" chrome.  The page actually has a bunch of stuff for download if you haven't checked it out already. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus