Total War Warhammer II or Not?

Started by ArizonaTank, March 15, 2019, 03:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Generally I love the Total War games....I am a veteran going way back to the first Shogun.

I have Total War Warhammer I and frankly it is not my favorite among the series. I even invested in some of the DLC and that did not really make it better for me.

Now I see that Total War Warhammer II is on sale at Steam.  I almost hit the purchase button. 

But before I do...I want to ask my fellow grogs...is it worth it?  Is it so much better than Total War Warhammer I that it makes sense to buy?

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Hm. If you already have TW1, TW2 does have an advantage that neither one has alone: you can mega-campaign both maps and all the factions (both playable and non-playable) together.

Is that, or TW2 by itself, going to overcome your problems with TW1? My educated guess is, probably not. It's more of the same but different, so to speak.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

What Mr. Pratt said.

If TWW1 didnt really do it for you then I guess if the allure of being able to play the monster map with 2 and 1 combined, isn't doing it for you either, there is no sense in buying 2.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

solops

I did not care for WH1 either, but for some reason I like WH2 better. Rome2 is still my favorite. I just wish it had some of the UI changes from later games.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

I am like you, Tank...and a bit like solops...I have been playing since Shogun (2000).

At first, TW: Warhammer did not grab me either until I put in dozens of hours and then, finally, I played Norsca...that faction clicked with me and I really enjoyed it.

I did not enjoy the Vampire Counts faction as much as I expected to.

When I am in a fantasy mood, I enjoy the game. Even then, though, some of the units are really too 'out there' for me. Shogun 2 is still my favorite of the series, followed probably by Rome 2 and all its iterations, followed by the Warhammer games.

I am still looking forward to playing a Dwarves campaign (Warhammer I), a Dark Elves campaign (Warhammer II), and a Mortal Empires campaign as The Empire. I have a feeling I will enjoy the Mortal Empires campaign as The Empire the best as it is not too 'out there.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Gotta say I am really let down by the Mortal Empires campaign. It is just too massive for its own good and takes forever to load up and play. I guess its to be expected since there are close to 150+ factions but I was really expecting a much more optimized game. I'm about 25 turns in to playing as Carcassone and it's been a drag to play...turns are very samey, it takes forever to get things done and the game just churns through turns. Crashes are rare, though. Not much patience left with this one so I may shelve this one and come back later to try the Dark Elves in a smaller campaign. Oh well.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I've avoided firing up the Mortal Empires campaign for exactly the reasons you just outlined.  It sounds like an awesome experience on paper, but I'm pretty sure it would make my machine cry like a little bitch. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Both my machine and I have been crying. A good idea on paper, definitely. In execution...unless you are really, really patient or are a WH addict...I just can't get through it. And I am really, really, really patient.

Maybe a smaller Dark Elves campaign at a later date FTW?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

I love the ME campaign. It is the only Warhammer game I play. My Warhammer 1/2 complaint is that the tactical battle mechanics make it too easy. TW: Medieval 2 battles are much better. I still think Rome2 and Medieval2 are better games, but Warhammer2 has awesome scope and graphics.

Edited because Auto-correct is stoopid.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

The scope and graphics are very good but a lot of it is lost on me since I am only a casual WH fan. I am going to go back in a bit and start a Dark Elf, Eye of the Vortex campaign.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd