Holiday Gaming Damage

Started by airboy, January 03, 2020, 01:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I am starting to get that feeling from Anno 1800 as I learn its dynamics and systems.

GIGGITY

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Labbug

Got:
Total War Saga Thrones of Britannia
Total War Warhammer II DCL's
Interstellar Space Genesis
Master of Orion

W8taminute

Quote from: FlickJax on January 08, 2020, 09:08:43 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 08, 2020, 08:39:31 AM
I grabbed Total War: Warhammer II and Master of Orion (2016 edition).  Both great games but I really love that 'just one more turn' feeling with Master of Orion.  Can't stop playing it!

:)  not had that feeling in a while :(

Yeah me neither until I started Master of Orion.  I've had a few "I really need to go to the lavatory but I can't stop clicking next turn" moments with this game.  MOO has those elements that hook me in the way I used to enjoy the Civilization series.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tuna

I grabbed Total War: Warhammer II and Master of Orion (2016 edition).  Both great games but I really love that 'just one more turn' feeling with Master of Orion.  Can't stop playing it!

Is Master of Orion turn based?

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on January 08, 2020, 05:54:40 PM

Is Master of Orion turn based?

The strategic layer is turn based but the tactical battles are real time.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

88mmkwk

I was feeling quite proud of myself this year for resisting all impulse buy urges between the (rare) JTS deals and Matrix Games Holiday sale.  Yes - strong in the force I was....

Until those sneaky bastards at Matrix games - clearly noticing I had not taken the holiday sale bait - decided to send me a 12-year customer anniversary coupon with three days left on the holiday sale.  They upped their game like a seductive siren who notices her charms are not working.  My last vestages of self-restraint melted away like a pad of butter in a hot frying pan.  I still have not played all the games I bought from them last time, and yet here's what I pulled the trigger on today:

GameRegular PriceHoliday SaleFinal Price
Desert War 1040-1942$39.99$19.99$11.79
War in the Pacific -Admiral's Edition$79.99$16.00$9.44
Strategic Command WWII: World at War$39.99$19.60$11.56
Drive on Moscow: War in the Snow$9.99$4.90$2.89
Tigers on the Hunt$49.99$9.50$5.60
Battle of the Bulge$9.99$4.90$2.89
Gettysburg: The Tide Turns$9.99$4.90$2.89
Civil War II$39.99$19.60$5.91
Total:
$279.92$52.97 :o

Even getting in to WitP:AE alone can be a lifetime pursuit, much less getting 7 others too....But i just couldn't resist a chance to score nearly $280 worth of games for $53.  I spent time checking out the forums at Matrix for each game on the list, and as far as I can tell, there's no stinkers in the lot.

Bulge, Moscow and Gettysburg are the Dollar Store scores at under $3 each and are for those days when work has beat me to a pulp and I need a simple distraction.  The crazy WitP-AE sale this year dropped the cost for the usually pricey groggie-fav from $79.00 down to $16.99 and my anniversary coupon made the final price a whopping 88% off the regular price!  No way I could miss out on such a great price!

Tigers on the Hunt was a pick up due to my many year dabbling in ASL.  This game will let me get in a quick ASL-type fix when I don't have time to line up a VASSAL opponent or schedule a FtF session with my local wargaming buddy.

I'm a fan of WWII desert warfare, so Desert War 1940-1042 also made the list.  I read the forum inputs and saw that some don't like the large unit stacks in the game. That doesn't scare me away.  Largely due to a young lady named Yvonne that I dated in my early 20's, I've loved big stacks most of my adult life ;).....

Strategic Command WWII was a buy as I have greatly enjoyed the War in Europe edition that came out first.  Civil War II made the list as I bought Alea Jacta Est last year on sale and found it a rich and rewarding game experience.  For $6, I couldn't resist hooking up with another AGEOD title.  Again, forum browsing showed this to be a highly regarded title.

I am a nutcase - how am I ever gonna find time for all these!  But I'm quite happy at this moment.  C'est la vie...Merry Late Christmas to me!  O0
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

bobarossa

Quote from: 88mmkwk on January 11, 2020, 02:03:31 PM

I am a nutcase - how am I ever gonna find time for all these!  But I'm quite happy at this moment.  C'est la vie...Merry Late Christmas to me!  O0
I have purchased 20 games in the last 4 Holiday Sales (my Anniversary coupon arrives on Dec 27th!).  I have played only 3 of those games extensively and I've been retired that whole time.  It's not about playing them, it's about being able to play them if you want.

Sir Slash

Exactly! You can't play them if you don't have them so... why not? And besides, any day now they may decide to quit making them. Then who'll look silly?  :-"
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

88mmkwk

QuoteAnd besides, any day now they may decide to quit making them. Then who'll look silly?

And hence one of the reasons I am a big Matrix Games fan - most games I buy from them come with a Steam key that lets you take advantage of the convenience of auto-updates.  If Steam ever goes in the crapper, I can always download and re-install my collection old-school style via the My Page on Matrix Games.  Even when a game is available for a bit less on Steam vs. Matrix Games, I'll purchase from Matrix every time and then just request a Steam key from Matrix after I buy.

On a related topic, I've been quite curious what the massive discount given on WitP-AE has done for unit sales of that game.  It has a quite lively community on the forums, very helpful and welcoming.  It's really kinda cool to see a Phoenix rise up after so many years of having a small but dedicated following.  I gotta believe the Holiday sale price drop from $79.99 to $16.00 (or even $9.44 for yours truly) led to quite a surge in sales of it...
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Martok

Between Steam, GOG, and Matrix/Slitherine, I spent around $60.00 on 4 games during the holiday season.  For me, I'd say that's reasonably restrained overall.  I could have easily spent three times that, but I tried very hard to to restrict my purchases to deals I just couldn't pass up -- and more importantly, to games I might actually play before the heat death of the universe occurs.  :P 

Quote from: Labbug on January 08, 2020, 10:02:06 AM
Got:
Total War Saga Thrones of Britannia
Total War Warhammer II DCL's
Interstellar Space Genesis
Master of Orion
That's a very nice list of strategy games you've picked up there.  I can happily recommend all of them.  O0 

Quote from: W8taminute on January 08, 2020, 12:04:02 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on January 08, 2020, 09:08:43 AM

:)  not had that feeling in a while :(

Yeah me neither until I started Master of Orion.  I've had a few "I really need to go to the lavatory but I can't stop clicking next turn" moments with this game.  MOO has those elements that hook me in the way I used to enjoy the Civilization series.
I was pleasantly surprised by the new MOO game.  It's one of those underappreciated gems that deserves more love than it's received.  (Not that I blame the original MOO1/2 fanbase for rejecting it; Wargaming seriously f***ed up with how they marketed the game and directed its development.) 

Once I got past my expectations (e.g., it was never going to resurrect the franchise and/or return it to glory) and just took the game for what it was, I began to enjoy it.  Underneath all the "shiny" is a competently-made, highly-polished, space 4x that's easy to pick up and play, but without feeling overly "streamlined"/dumbed-down. 

It's not going to appeal to everyone, but for those who just want a nice 4x game with moderate depth and decent production values, one could certainly do worse than MOO:CtS. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces