[closed] Dominions 4 inaugural game (let's make this massive!)

Started by Yskonyn, July 27, 2013, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingedflamez

Count me in.  Just pre-ordered after 2 weeks of debating.

I like the idea of random nations seeing as that way everyone is looking at something new.  What ever is decided Random me.

Yskonyn

Desura shows the game 'available to play on 31st of August'.
The Illwinter site hasn't been updated since the announcement of the game being inbound earlier.
We'll see. Not long now if they make the date.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

parone

Bronwell

I'd be interested in playing once the game is released.  I'd like to play random as well.

Huw the Poo

I've decided I'll probably buy Dom4 but it won't be until around the end of September at the earliest, so I'll have to sit this one out.  Have fun, all!

happyfungi

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 25, 2013, 05:23:55 AM
I've decided I'll probably buy Dom4 but it won't be until around the end of September at the earliest, so I'll have to sit this one out.  Have fun, all!

I don't think the game is officially coming out until around sept. 28 now.   People who preorder may get to play in the beta.

Wingedflamez

Yeah. The time frame is a bit confusing. Desura still says august. And the website still says august, bit then says its been delayed a month. I would think they would say " now releasing in september." I agree Maybe they are going to do a preorder beta, would be the nice thing to do since they hyped everyone up on an august release.

I will say though I would rather see a delay and then receive quality product. Then get a hurried release to meet deadline and ha e horrible gaping holes.

Huw the Poo

Ah yes, I hadn't realised.  According to the Illwinter website they are doing a preorder beta but the game will supposedly be released on Sep 28.

Wingedflamez

Guess we are gonna ha e to do 2 inaugural games :) one for the beta release and one for the actual release.

Huw the Poo

Eurgh, who'd want to play the beta?  The actual release will probably be buggy enough!

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Wingedflamez

I have been involved in a few betas, it's interesting to see how a game is in a slightly rawer state. Honestly with the release supposed to be in 1 month, it shouldn't be too buggy, but that's why you have prerelease "open" betas, to put more stress on the game. Closed beta/alpha testers are gonna catch a lot, but prerelease betas are what catches all the final finishing touches.

In short, just because it's beta doesn't mean it isn't worth playing.

Huw the Poo

If you look through the changelog of all previous Illwinter titles you'll see that many bugs were caught and fixed well after release.  Hell, even triple-A studios have this problem.  I didn't say it wouldn't be worth playing at all, but it will come down to personal tolerance.  I'm willing to bet that Dom4 will be too buggy for my tastes until at least the official release.

Wingedflamez

I definitely agree that many trip-A titles are bug ridden on release, and in my opinion most of the games that have that problem is when the studio has gotten lazy.  For a group like illuminates I can understand a bit more because compared to the thousands of beta testers that a group like say blizzards Diablo 3 betas had, splinter has what couple dozen, maybe 100.

I expect there to be bugs, but I would still like to get a game going after prerelease.  Would probably cut it off at release. But would still like to do one.

Nefaro

I just noticed, right after pre-ording Dom4, that it has been delayed for a month.  :-[

Ahh well.. at least they're supposedly gonna give us a beta version on this August release date, so that's something.  Probably an excellent idea on their part since it'll get more widely vetted for bugs in the final month, too.