Rising Sun: Red Orchestra stand-alone expansion

Started by FrontierCybrarian, March 26, 2013, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Wasn't there an installment of Medal of Honor that covered the PTO? MoH: Airborne or MoH Pacific?

I am really interested in Rising Storm but I too am not so hot for MP.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Trooperc7 on March 28, 2013, 09:07:21 AM
Well, make no mistake, i am an older guy (62) and the crowd i play with has several over 70 guys...Shooters such as RO2 allow you to get into the game any way you wish. I started slow, kept to the sides, picked my shots until i got better... I begin to get more involved because my skills had gotten better. A lot of the fun in multiplayer games is finding the right server that holds a more mature crowd......

+1 

Well stated.  Have you checked out http://www.tacticalgamer.com/content/ ?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Well, make no mistake, i am an older guy (62) and the crowd i play with has several over 70 guys...Shooters such as RO2 allow you to get into the game any way you wish. I started slow, kept to the sides, picked my shots until i got better... I begin to get more involved because my skills had gotten better. A lot of the fun in multiplayer games is finding the right server that holds a more mature crowd......

I'm pretty old for a FPS gamer (57), but at some points in my RO days, I was really good at the game (eg. could do okay using the bayonet, hit snipers in windows while running down the street, kill panthers, jump out of my tank with a pistol and take over the world -- why is that bad?  apparently it was considered bad form to get out of your tank).  In fact, I have pretty much given up multiplayer because I don't want to get so good that I spend too much time at the game.  These days, puzzling over board game rules solitaire is what I seem to do best.

FrontierCybrarian

RooksBailey, appreciate your thoughts about Red Orchestra Stalingrad being oversold and under-developed...an opinion held by many according to reviewers.

I'm 100% with you that the Pacific Theater is sorely neglected in pc gaming. I feel the same way about Vietnam and Korea. But I imagine developers feel there isn't enough player interest to warrant the effort. They could be wrong since they haven't tried it very often.

Awesome live play clip (pre-beta). 22 minutes of actual game play, commentary, questions. Great find.

Jomni, Concerning Japanese spawning behind U.S. lines...if you are playing the Allies you must get a rush being surprised by a bayonet in the back..without a chance for preparatory defense. On the other hand, as a Japanese player, it would be a great way to play. Thanks for comments.

FatherTed, welcome to the "old duffer club.

I'm glad you've found players who support your deliberate and slower play style. The above video clip showed players on the Japanese side really "motoring" through the
jungle with banzai charges. I can see you likely preferring playing as the Allied side with defensive positioning.

I can see how one shot kills can level the playing field and perhaps prolong game play without over rushing the event.

Trooperc7, another "old duffer club" member...Yeah! That's great you've found balanced group of mature players on select servers.

Gusington, right you are about their being a Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault title. It's still my favorite single-play fps for the WW2 battle arena. It had a few quircks but I had lots of play fun with it. If you haven't played it I encourage a go through. Airborne title was against Germany and fun too but short.

You, like me, haven't been a multiplay gamer.

W8taminute, another supporter of "mature" gamers on servers. Mature as in age and mature as in respect/courtesy/decisions.

Nice referral on the tactical gamer server. I hope it succeeds tremendously.

MengJiao, thanks for your input. While there is no precise definition for the "old duffer club" you can be included if you desire. Many would say 60 years old or above. We're not so picky about that.

Your fast style of play wasn't bad at all...and you are to be congratulated for your Red Orchestra success. Fast pace players are alright as long as theyare patient with slower players (my 3 boys weren't patient with me in Left For Dead 2). Vice-versa also. Methodical player can find ways to accommodate alternate play styles. Balance and moderation. All can have fun, fun, fun til the daddy takes the T-Bird away.

I imagine when one gets too good at a game and whizzes through it the challenge and enjoyment dissipates after awhile.

Good luck with your solitaire board games. Just a side note, I've taken up solitaire boxing but I keep getting knocked out by my shadow (bad joke).
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

MengJiao

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on March 28, 2013, 07:45:45 PM
RooksBailey, appreciate your thoughts about Red Orchestra Stalingrad being oversold and under-developed...an opinion held by many according to reviewers.

Good luck with your solitaire board games. Just a side note, I've taken up solitaire boxing but I keep getting knocked out by my shadow (bad joke).

Strange, but my father was a boxer and he used to spend time battling the air in a horrific -ally wonderful way.  Solitaire boxing can be pretty interesting.

BigBlueFleet

I'm not too much into FPS'ers but this one has my attention.  Thanks for the info!!

Does anyone know if these line of games come with invasive DRM or anything along those lines? 

Thanks in advance!

jomni

Quote from: BigBlueFleet on April 30, 2013, 01:10:10 PM
I'm not too much into FPS'ers but this one has my attention.  Thanks for the info!!

Does anyone know if these line of games come with invasive DRM or anything along those lines? 

Thanks in advance!

Steam!  Up to you if you love it or hate it.

MengJiao

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on March 26, 2013, 10:43:35 PM
Jomni, it's my first love in WW2 games although I try to play many other battlefields.

Initially I wanted to purchase Red Orchestra: Stalingrad but since I only game single-play the reviews indicated for sp the learning curve was difficult and it was way to easy to die from a single shot from an unseen enemy (realistic yes, maybe a bit to tough for a fps game player). I hope Rising Sun gives a little more death leniency for gamers in single-play. If not, it's a no go for me.

The graphics and sounds seem quite nice but I'll likely wait for reviews on this before a purchase.

I got Red Orchestra 2 last night.  It's a lot better than RO1, though I miss the armored car, I love the clouds of blood and the pools of gore.

From what I've seen, it really is basically a much-improved RO1.  In RO1, I was the mindless player that people disliked since I would drive to a village in a tank, wreak havoc and jump out with a pistol when the tank started to burn and finish off the local Germans hiding in the attics and win the game.  In RO2, I'll have to figure out another way to cross open spaces (tanks and armored cars worked fine for avoiding sniper fire until you could get in close and kill them with a pistol or something -- but there was a point of ettiquette -- if you got into a tank you were apparently supposed to stay in it even when it started to burn) -- smoke grenades?  Spawning on the Squad leader? 

Anyway, lots of things about RO2 seem pretty promising: bullets go through lots of stuff (for example, most walls); climbing out of trenches or over low walls is possible, the antitank rifle is easy to set up and reload and so is the LMG, grenades often produce a chorus of screams from the targetted population, you can patch yourself if you have a minor wound.

Slightly irritating (if interesting): your POV and involuntary noise-making when under fire is temporarily more disabling than a minor wound.  Several times I thought I'd been horribly injured, but I was just screaming in terror and quivering so much I couldn't see straight.  Eventually, I would calm down and shoot the offending Gefrieter with a lot of abruptly-assumed bravado (at least I guess it was supposed to be me screaming about killing all those Gefrieters -- initially I assumed there was some still-cowering hot-head yelling next to me, but it was just me all along). 

The good news is -- the Japs don't get as scared as the Americans or the Russians or the Germans -- so less screaming in Japanese.  Which settles it -- I'm getting the game with the less-easily-scared Japs and staying cool under fire.

Father Ted

Quote from: MengJiao on May 03, 2013, 09:23:14 AM

Slightly irritating (if interesting): your POV and involuntary noise-making when under fire is temporarily more disabling than a minor wound.  Several times I thought I'd been horribly injured, but I was just screaming in terror and quivering so much I couldn't see straight.  Eventually, I would calm down and shoot the offending Gefrieter with a lot of abruptly-assumed bravado (at least I guess it was supposed to be me screaming about killing all those Gefrieters -- initially I assumed there was some still-cowering hot-head yelling next to me, but it was just me all along). 

This is something that gets a lot of discussion on the Darkest Hour and Festung Europa (DH's spiritual successor) forums.  The basic idea is that in reality most rifle and MG fire was not aimed at individuals, but was used to suppress.  You can't really suppress someone who has no fear of death or injury, so we don't generally see this sort of play in most FPSs.  The involuntary shaking and loss of vision is supposed to force the player to act like someone who is suppressed - ie there's no point in trying to do anything until you're unsupressed.

Bandaging is another hot topic.  Personally I find it ridiculous.  The bandaging action is perfunctory and instant, yet if you don't manage it within 5 secs of being hit you die.  "Oh no, my femoral artery has been severed!  I'm going to die!  But wait...I have a band-aid!  Phew, that was close - now, where are those pesky Russkies?"

Interesting that you say that RO2 is better than RO1.  A lot of RO1 "veterans" thought the new game a step forward in terms of graphics, but a step back in terms of gameplay.  Do you recall which type of server you were playing on?  "Classic" mode practically recreates the older game, but with the improvements you mentioned, whereas the other modes bring easier access.

MengJiao

Quote from: Father Ted on May 03, 2013, 04:18:30 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 03, 2013, 09:23:14 AM

This is something that gets a lot of discussion on the Darkest Hour and Festung Europa (DH's spiritual successor) forums.  The basic idea is that in reality most rifle and MG fire was not aimed at individuals, but was used to suppress.  You can't really suppress someone who has no fear of death or injury, so we don't generally see this sort of play in most FPSs.  The involuntary shaking and loss of vision is supposed to force the player to act like someone who is suppressed - ie there's no point in trying to do anything until you're unsupressed.

Bandaging is another hot topic.  Personally I find it ridiculous.  The bandaging action is perfunctory and instant, yet if you don't manage it within 5 secs of being hit you die.  "Oh no, my femoral artery has been severed!  I'm going to die!  But wait...I have a band-aid!  Phew, that was close - now, where are those pesky Russkies?"

Interesting that you say that RO2 is better than RO1.  A lot of RO1 "veterans" thought the new game a step forward in terms of graphics, but a step back in terms of gameplay.  Do you recall which type of server you were playing on?  "Classic" mode practically recreates the older game, but with the improvements you mentioned, whereas the other modes bring easier access.

I think I've usually been on "realism" servers (apparently I live just down the road from the Fallscrimjagers and their 3-4 servers).  It looks like RO2 was at first dominated by the action mode and a handful of urban maps.  This turned out to be pretty unpopular and the player population got pretty low.  There appear to have been a number of changes recently that boosted the population (some patches -- classic mode -- new maps that are remakes of RO1 maps).  From my personal point of view, the weapons seem to work a lot better:  the Mosin-nagant is much easier to manage -- less kick, quicker to move, blocks less of the screen -- works as a nice club even without the bayonnet (the bayonnet in RO2 is much less convincing than the monster RO1 weapon, but I don't miss it that much); the SVT is even better than it was and even has a nice bayonnet.  And as I said, the AT rifle and the MG are a lot easier to use.

The standard T34 is an unbelievable killer -- which is very nice, though I can see how it might be depressing for the PzkwIV drivers.

Bandaging -- I think of it as an extension of suppression -- you think you are dying but on examination -- it's not even your blood!

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 28, 2013, 10:37:54 AM

I'm pretty old for a FPS gamer (57), but at some points in my RO days, I was really good at the game (eg. could do okay using the bayonet, hit snipers in windows while running down the street, kill panthers, jump out of my tank with a pistol and take over the world -- why is that bad?  apparently it was considered bad form to get out of your tank).  In fact, I have pretty much given up multiplayer because I don't want to get so good that I spend too much time at the game.  These days, puzzling over board game rules solitaire is what I seem to do best.

And now finally, I understand why it was bad ettiquette to jump out of your tank in RO1;  the killer of the tank got no points for the kill if you
jumped out.

So it had nothing to do with realism, it had to do with the point system.  It could all be fixed by a simple "give enemy points" button.  I would have been happy to give points for my tank or points to the enemy if they would blow themselves up.

I used to score pretty high, but that was for killing everything in my path and then vacationing in all the cozy spots where the gerieters had been lounging with their radios and sniper rifles.  i had no idea that all they wanted was the points.  it all could have been so simple -- the game just needed a "give x points to enemy" button.

Grim.Reaper

Debating this one...see on steam for pre order and beta access at 40% off....which then takes it down to $17 for deluxe game.  I am much more of a single player so not sure if worth it for me...but I love the pacific setting since not much out there.

Gusington

^I felt exactly like you and picked up Medal of Honor: Pacific instead.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 16, 2013, 08:39:27 PM
Debating this one...see on steam for pre order and beta access at 40% off....which then takes it down to $17 for deluxe game.  I am much more of a single player so not sure if worth it for me...but I love the pacific setting since not much out there.

Yep.  I think I've let my brief moments of MP glory go to my head.  I always forget about the years of crapology in WWIIonline and my current painful ineptitude in RO2, not to mention some disastrous online moments in CLOD.  So I may skip the whole Pacific thing and wait for online vengeance in Battle of Stalingrad.  Sure the Russian planes are kind of crappy (not as bad as the Hawk75 in WWIIonline, now that was a seriously crappy plane) BUT they have 12.7 mm (AKA 50 cal) MGs in some cases.  So I remain hopeful that when the Me109Fs pull up and stall so as to flip in mid stall on their hammertoes and reverse direction in one second , the 12.7mm slugs will blow the pilot's head off at least occasionally.

Trooperc7

Having played 2 hours of the Rising Storm beta, I can say this is a wonderful game...I think TWI has really nailed it.......With my discounts I got it for $11.99.
It delivers a real intensity....The flamethrowers look wonderful ... the japanese knee mortars work well and the banzai charges put your heart in your throat...

I know a lot of you dont like multiplayer games, but this one is worth having because it delivers an immersive experience...