Video Game Industry vs Right to Repair

Started by mirth, February 27, 2017, 12:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

One of many reasons why I don't like console gaming.

mirth

It's not just console makers. Big tech in general is opposed to right to repair. Apple is one of the biggest opponents.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I've not had to deal with that except with my son's phone. He dropped it twice in the last six months - the first time I took it to an indy repair place that did a passable job for forty bucks. The second time I just sent it in since we have insurance through our carrier.

Staggerwing

I'm a big fan of ifixit. I've repaired so many Apple products over the years with iFixit's excellent guides I've lost count. It's too bad that the engineers at these tech firms are now designing stuff so that home users are having a harder time fixing their stuff but it is what big companies do. Ultimately, behind all the PR hype, the only thing they are beholden to is the shareholder.

As consumers it is also our right to use the legal democratic institutions of our state and federal gov'ts to level the playing field or at least swing things back in our direction.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 01, 2017, 08:15:33 AM
I'm a big fan of ifixit. I've repaired so many Apple products over the years with iFixit's excellent guides I've lost count. It's too bad that the engineers accountants at these tech firms are now designing stuff so that home users are having a harder time fixing their stuff but it is what big companies do. Ultimately, behind all the PR hype, the only thing they are beholden to is the shareholder.

As consumers it is also our right to use the legal democratic institutions of our state and federal gov'ts to level the playing field or at least swing things back in our direction.

Fixed
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bobarossa

While designing a medical product for another company, we were told by the client we had to make an easily sterilizable cable a disposable so they would have a steady income stream.  Happens everywhere.

mirth

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers