Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Bloody hell. Scumbag.

9 dead and 16 injured currently.

RIP - seems I write this almost weekly recently  :'(
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Horrible   >:(

My deepest sympathies to the victims and families and also to the onlookers who now cannot unsee what they witnessed.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 23, 2018, 06:20:18 PM
Horrible   >:(

My deepest sympathies to the victims and families and also to the onlookers who now cannot unsee what they witnessed.
It's often forgotten - by me - that witnesses will be traumatised by what they saw. So many people affected by one little shit  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Now 10 dead as on in hospital has died.  :(

Still not much about the driver other than they have him in custody.

Pete Dero

Toronto van attack: Suspect quizzed after 10 pedestrians killed

Police said Minassian was from the northern Toronto suburb of Richmond Hill and was not previously known to authorities.

"The actions definitely looked deliberate," said Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders.

Public safety minister Ralph Goodale said there "would appear to be no national security connections" and Canadian broadcaster CBC cited government officials as saying he was not associated with any known terror groups.

Minassian had previously attended a school for students with special needs in north Toronto, former classmates said.

He would be seen walking around Thornlea Secondary School with his head down and hands clasped tightly together making meowing noises, Shereen Chami told Reuters.

But she said Minassian had not been violent.

"He wasn't a social person, but from what I remember he was absolutely harmless," she told Reuters.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43875321

Toronto van attack: How is the suspect not dead?

The calm actions of a police officer who arrested the Toronto van suspect without firing a shot have prompted praise and, in some quarters, astonishment.

Video from the scene shows suspect Alek Minassian pointing an object at the officer and shouting: "Kill me!"

The officer tells the man to "get down" and when the suspect says he has a gun, the officer repeats: "I don't care. Get down.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43876772

Barthheart

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/toronto-van-attack-the-cop-who-didnt-shoot/

QuoteThe driver keeps pointing whatever is in his hand at the police officer who is carefully circling him to his right. "I have a gun in my pocket!" He starts walking towards the cop. A second video shows this precise moment from an office window high above. The driver keeps advancing, his arm extended. The officer steps backward. But doesn't shoot.

Then, in a flash, something shifts. The cop takes a steps forward. He moves towards the driver for the first time. The man in black hesitates and then steps backward. His determination evaporates. He doesn't want to die. His hands go up. He throws down the black thing in his hand. The cop keeps coming. He tells him to get down. He doesn't shoot.

"Put your hands behind your back!" He kneels on the driver, who is laying face down now on the sidewalk. He reaches for his cuffs. Thirty-seven seconds after the driver emerged from his van the attack is over. The cop didn't shoot.

Gusington

This sounds more like a mental illness case than anything else.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Looks like after scouring his social media and youtube, the guy was an Incel, a group that's getting more and more violent as time goes by.  He was apparently obsessed with the previous Incel mass killing in 2014 in Isla Vista. 

Reddit recently had to shut down the Incel subgroup for its increasingly direct call on its members to commit violent act, including mass murder.  It's a disturbing trend.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2018, 02:28:13 PM
Never heard of Incel.

You're lucky. 

Involuntary Celibate.  They believe that women are only interested in Alpha males that they call "Chads" that treat them like dirt but get sex and relationships anyway. 

The Incel is a man who is, in their minds, perfectly nice and acceptable, but women disregard them because they're socially awkward or unattractive by conventional standards.  Most are "Kissless Virgins" who make it into their 20's or 30's.

The perp seems to have been a 25 year old virgin.

It gets more complex than that, but there's the basis.  They were mostly just an object of online ridicule before they formed communities on 4Chan and Reddit that started to advocate for violence against women and "Chads".   The advocacy for violence turned real with the Isla Vista massacre in 2014. 

A vocal part of their community now call for an "Incel Rebellion" which would be an incident of mass violence designed to bring about social chaos and a mass slaughter of women.

The perp had a facebook post that hinted that he hoped to instigate the Incel Rebellion with his act. 

You can find some of their stuff online, I wouldn't suggest it, it's really disturbing.  I only looked into it because I'd heard my students mention it and I like to keep abreast of potentially violent advocacy that they might be listening to. 

It's something we should stop laughing at and start looking at seriously.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2018, 09:07:19 AM
This sounds more like a mental illness case than anything else.

Seems like most of them are.

I saw the video of him trying to suicide-by-cop, pointing his phone at the officer like it was a gun and saying "shoot me in the head".

JudgeDredd

Involuntary Celibate.  ...get sex and relationships anyway.
Are those two not the exact opposite?
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2018, 03:15:55 PM

They think the "Chads" get sex and relationships despite, or sometimes because of how badly they treat women. 

It's one of those "Only jerks get girls" lines of thinking.  It's how they rationalize hatred of anything not themselves.  That's something that generally is necessary for true extremism. 

bayonetbrant

edit:  ninja'ed by D!   :cowboy:

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2018, 03:15:55 PM

there's the "Chads" in the middle.
The Incels don't get the girls, despite being nice guys
The "Chads" get get the girls - and the sex and relationships - even tho they treat the girls like dirt
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers