Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Arctic Blast

Preloaded. I don't know a damn thing about Battletech or any of the factions. I just want 'big robot shoot big robot and make explode'.  ;D

SirAndrewD

Make explode? Well I can tell you a few stories about.....wait.  No, I'll stop.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 23, 2018, 11:33:52 PM
Preloaded. I don't know a damn thing about Battletech or any of the factions. I just want 'big robot shoot big robot and make explode'.  ;D
+1
Alba gu' brath

Pinetree

You guys are in for a treat then, the lore of Battletech is awesome.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

MetalDog

Quote from: Pinetree on April 24, 2018, 02:47:38 AM
You guys are in for a treat then, the lore of Battletech is awesome.

QFT
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GeneralHawk

Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 24, 2018, 05:44:36 AM
this person seems less than impressed

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/24/battletech-review-pc/#more-536745

Finally, a review on RPS that reads like a review of a game rather than commentary on social injustice or gender inequality.

Hard to criticize the reviewers opinion here. I'm surprised to read that the environment doesn't react to your mechs. Also, infantry, or some element of humanity on the ground would be great to show the scale and power of the mechs. Disappointed to see that isn't there either.

Still hopeful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/battletech/

4 stars out of 5

It's a game that invests heavily in a well-established universe and fails to be an entry point in that universe whatsoever.

That's a shame because, between every mission, you can see how much thought has gone into shaping a narrative and world that's so consistently and richly BattleTech.
But the takeaway is ultimately what you bring to the story rather than anything original. This is a fairly by-the-numbers tactics game that becomes ethereal if you have the right set of memories.
Being that I do, this is a game that I'll cherish, for all its stompy clumsiness.

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2018, 06:12:14 AM

Finally, a review on RPS that reads like a review of a game rather than commentary on social injustice or gender inequality.

that's just because they gave in and build it in preemptive, watch DasTactic's tutorial when it comes to character setup @14:10  :hide: 
https://youtu.be/6SQj-SQmAH8

...well i dunno much about Battletech Universe lore and fluff and what might goes on in the outer rim systems ^-^   

mikeck

Hard to criticize the reviewers opinion here. I'm surprised to read that the environment doesn't react to your mechs. Also, infantry, or some element of humanity on the ground would be great to show the scale and power of the mechs. Disappointed to see that isn't there either.

Still hopeful.

When you say that the "environment doesn't react"....does that mean that the environment is NOT destructible? No knocked over trees or craters? Not game breaking but in this day and age...why?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Zulu1966

Quote from: mikeck on April 24, 2018, 08:12:15 AM

Still hopeful.

When you say that the "environment doesn't react"....does that mean that the environment is NOT destructible? No knocked over trees or craters? Not game breaking but in this day and age...why?

Well it wasn't in the beta and guess isn't now. Truly fluff though .... might be nice to look at but no material affect on the game.

Also was quite surprised to see  tanks were in fact in the game ... Though agree with JH infantry and other non mech equipment would have been awesome. DLC perhaps.

The RPS review was a little difficult to understand in that he seemed to say it was boring but then went on to talk about things it did well.

Still was a beta backer so reviews at this stage somewhat irrelevant anyhow. I played a bit and liked what I saw. Though think there is a lot they could add and hopefully they will.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on April 24, 2018, 08:33:22 AM
Quote from: mikeck on April 24, 2018, 08:12:15 AM

Still hopeful.

Well it wasn't in the beta and guess isn't now. Truly fluff though .... might be nice to look at but no material affect on the game.

Also was quite surprised to see  tanks were in fact in the game ... Though agree with JH infantry and other non mech equipment would have been awesome. DLC perhaps.

The RPS review was a little difficult to understand in that he seemed to say it was boring but then went on to talk about things it did well.

Still was a beta backer so reviews at this stage somewhat irrelevant anyhow. I played a bit and liked what I saw. Though think there is a lot they could add and hopefully they will.

Seemed like his biggest gripe was boredom caused by long delays in battle due to unit animation. I can see this getting frustrating over time and in larger engagements. What he likes seems to be the character and flavor of theame, which will have special appeal to fans of the IP and battletech universe. Seems to be exactly why strategy gamer loved it so much.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18