Main Menu

Battletech

Started by Jarhead0331, July 29, 2015, 03:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

The Mechcommander series (1 and 2) were pure turn-based, if I recall correctly, though they may have followed a "Mechwarrior" FPS version of the rules. Been too long since I tried playing MechCom1.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 31, 2015, 11:22:45 AM
The Mechcommander series (1 and 2) were pure turn-based, if I recall correctly, though they may have followed a "Mechwarrior" FPS version of the rules. Been too long since I tried playing MechCom1.

Nope.  The Mech Commander games were RTS.

JasonPratt

Huh. That might explain why I didn't play them enough to remember much about them...  :idiot2: :crazy2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 31, 2015, 04:38:28 PM
Huh. That might explain why I didn't play them enough to remember much about them...  :idiot2: :crazy2:

The Mech Commander games were some of the more enjoyable on the PC, IMO.  Notably Mech Commander 2.

Even though they were RTS games, you only controlled a single Lance of mechs that you got to customize with different weapons, armor, etc.  The missions were pretty fun.  I would definitely buy MC2 if it landed on GOG.  While the FPSes were enjoyable for a bit, I dug these strategy focused ones more for single-player.

Which reminds me.. I should add my vote to it on the GOG wishlist if I didn't notice it there before.  Update:  Just checked, and I already voted for it.  I recall having some compatibility issues with MC2's damn disk DRM (common issue these days) that wouldn't let me play it after a certain OS.

Philistine

Quote from: Nefaro on July 31, 2015, 06:53:51 PM{snip} I would definitely buy MC2 if it landed on GOG.  While the FPSes were enjoyable for a bit, I dug these strategy focused ones more for single-player.

Which reminds me.. I should add my vote to it on the GOG wishlist if I didn't notice it there before.  Update:  Just checked, and I already voted for it.  I recall having some compatibility issues with MC2's damn disk DRM (common issue these days) that wouldn't let me play it after a certain OS.

MC2 source code was released.  Downloadable here

--Philistine

JasonPratt

Wow. That's legitimately from Microsoft? FASA allowed that?? My mind is boggling enough that Microsoft voluntarily did it...  ???

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 03, 2015, 08:00:06 AM
Wow. That's legitimately from Microsoft? FASA allowed that?? My mind is boggling enough that Microsoft voluntarily did it...  ???

I'm not sure what all the shock is about? Its released under a shared source license agreement.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jarhead0331 link=topic=14373.msg374933#msg374933
... shared source license agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_source

My head hurts after reading all that.  Not Barney-style at all...  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Nefaro

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

^Internet Winner for the Day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

^Internet weiner for the day?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

Yes! Er if you're into that sort of thing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni